PDA

View Full Version : How does one prove SoCal residency?

crinklebat
09-16-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm hoping to reap the benefits of living in San Diego for the first time and was wondering exactly what suffices as proof of residency. I've got a bit of a weird situation as I don't have a driver's license or CA ID card.

Basically, I was thinking two things--either I could show my UCSD student ID card, hence establishing myself as someone who spends lots of time in San Diego, or I could bring a bank statement or bill with my address on it and...my passport? Will a student ID suffice or do they prefer gov't issued ID?

Basically, I've never done this before and I haven't been able to find any guidelines on what exactly is acceptable--but I'd sure like to save a little money. Any advice? My trip's tomorrow--I suppose I ought to have asked earlier, but hopefully somebody will be able to give me the lowdown who's actually inquired about this before. Thanks!

Nancy
09-16-2004, 07:07 PM
I would play it safe and bring all of it (paper wise) but I have never had to have proof (we live up north). Maybe I was just lucky. I guess it depends on what kind of pass you are buying too. Have a great time!! :)

stan4d_steph
09-16-2004, 07:18 PM
I would bring a government issued ID (even if it's for a different state) and a utility or credit bill with your name and SoCal address on it. That's what I did when I had moved to SoCal and didn't have a CA driver's license.

Mukta
09-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Go tritons! When I was at UCSD, my friends who were originally from No. Cal brought their driver's license and our electric bill. That worked at DL.

Permanecer Sentados
09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Even though I moved up to NoCal 4 years ago, my license still says I'm from Cerritos. So I guess I'm still a SoCal "resident". ;)

OCCOBRA
09-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Me and a friend of mine went a couple weeks ago and she forgot her ID. She just gave her address and was able to get her passport with no problem.

crinklebat
09-18-2004, 06:09 PM
I ended up showing my bank statement and my credit card, which has my photo and name on it. I got the discount, and finally got to see DCA! Basically, I told the CM at the ticket booth that I don't have a license, and she said she needed to see something with my address on it--and the statement sufficed. I was v. relieved.