PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain... Thrill Ride or Death Trap

stitchhead
09-16-2004, 04:57 PM
As you know, in the past year, the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has been the sight of 3 accidents. So far, one person has been killed. After talking to some other Disneyland fanatics, about half of them said that it's a safe ride and the accidents were just what they were, ACCIDENTS. The other half, however, stated that Big Thunder Mountain should be demolished for another "safer" ride. In my opinion, Big Thunder should stay open (in fact I went on it a couple times about a week ago). What do you think? :confused:

Disneyfreak
09-16-2004, 04:57 PM
People who say it should be torn down should be shot on sight. :~D

Susan L
09-16-2004, 04:58 PM
BTMRR should stay open. We will be there late Oct and can't wait to ride it.

Disney Vault
09-16-2004, 05:56 PM
It would be crazy (Eisner crazy) to shut it down.

DisneylandForever
09-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Death trap???

:rolleyes:

rentayenta
09-16-2004, 06:24 PM
It is much less dangerous than crossing the street, riding in a car blah blah blah....I like BTMRR and plan to ride it in Dec.

Disneyfreak
09-16-2004, 07:48 PM
It was so safe that when it broke down all the cars stopped perfectly and they evacuated the ride without a problem. They had it up and running 20 min later. For some reason the train didn't go all the way to the start of the attraction. It got stuck in the station. So the back was sticking out of the station. It was minor, but I loved how it stopped perfectly.

CoasterChickie
09-16-2004, 08:04 PM
If they're going to close BTMRR for safety reasons then they may as well close the LA freeways that you take to get to DL. They're much more dangerous!!

SCUBAbe
09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
If they're going to close BTMRR for safety reasons then they may as well close the LA freeways that you take to get to DL. They're much more dangerous!!
and the airports in california, arizona , and nevada...you just never know when palmdale will lose power again. I can't think of anyhting more dangerous than 100 or so planes in the air without much guidence. I drive by that building all the time. It's a really small building it's hard to believe all they do in there. It's right outside of plant 42 and palmdale airport across the street rom the blackbirds thye have on display..:)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-16-2004, 09:21 PM
And don't forget about moving everyone out of Florida! With all these hurricanes it is far more dangerous than BTMRR

DisneyDustin22
09-16-2004, 10:19 PM
I love reading the posts on this board regarding Thunder Mountain. Let me paraphrase for you. (clears throat)...

NEW BRIEF: "Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction had an accident today. No major injuries to report. Back to you."

MOUSEPLANET (((SOME))) THREADERS: Tear it down! Tear it down! Boo Thunder Mountain. Boo. Bad Mountain. You could have hurt someone. Bad. Boo!! Tear it down!

...fast forward a few weeks later....

NEWS BRIEF: "Regarding the latest incident on Disneyland's Big Thunder Moutain Railroad attraction, pending inspection, the attraction will be closed until further notice."

MOUSEPLANET (((SOME))) THREADERS: Nothing to do in the park. Open Thunder Mountain! Boo Eisner! Boo Disneyland. No E tickets open. Boo. Bad Disney. Boo!

:D Have a nice day!

GrumpyUTboi
09-17-2004, 06:52 AM
If they ever tore it down at least we would still have HISTA. In reality that is all that we need! Forget about performers and all that Jazz, stick with a winner, HISTA. :D

Nephythys
09-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Two of the accidents were on empty trains, no one was on the ride anyway. They were also operator failures- the ride is fine, train the operators.

CoasterChickie
09-17-2004, 07:28 AM
If they ever tore it down at least we would still have HISTA. In reality that is all that we need! Forget about performers and all that Jazz, stick with a winner, HISTA. :D

You know, there's a saying..."Small minds, easily amused." ;) ;) ;)

Somebody please take this guy on a guided tour of DL....I don't think he's been out of Tomorrowland yet! ;) ;) ;)

BTW...I like your post DisneyDustin22

danyoung
09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Two of the accidents were on empty trains, no one was on the ride anyway. They were also operator failures- the ride is fine, train the operators.

This is not at all true. The second accident involved no people, as it occurred during a recycling of the trains after a complete E-stop. The first one, of course, involved one death. And the third one was as a train was going into the station, and got cycled to the wrong side of the station. People were in both trains, and some were hurt (though not seriously).

Also, the only one of the accidents that can be totally attributed to operator failure is the second one, where the control panel operator didn't get a visual clearance before releasing a train from one zone to another. The first accident was not operator failure at all - it was mechanical, and a failure of the maintenance department to properly check critical items. The third accident, while involving operator failure, also involved a problem with the computer program that has since been corrected. This accident was incredibly unlikely, requiring I believe 5 unlikely things to all go wrong in an exact sequence. With the change of the program (and the retraining of the operator who had been on duty only 3 days), DOSH considers this problem totally eliminated.

You gotta check your facts before posting here - there are WAY too many of us who eat, sleep and breathe the Disney parks! :D

disneyperson
09-17-2004, 10:13 AM
I think we've found the source of that satanic brainwashing thing.

SallySkellington
09-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Somebody please take this guy on a guided tour of DL....I don't think he's been out of Tomorrowland yet! ;) ;) ;)

I shall personally drag him kicking and screaming to New Orleans Square. :~D

disneyperson
09-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I shall personally drag him kicking and screaming to New Orleans Square. :~D
I'll grab his other arm. He can ride POTC and HM over and over until he's cured of that HISTA fixation. It's mind control I tell ya!