PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay?

escaleraway
09-16-2004, 11:29 AM
I am debating this so any advice will be great!
I am taking my mom and daughter (7yr) to Disneyland the end of October.
Expedia has some great deals on DLH, Paradise Pier and GCH, so I am thinking about cancelling my reservations at Candy Cane Inn and HOJO (I couldn't decide which one to stay and thought I would read more info about those places at tripadvisor.com). I know I am neurotic!!:)
This is the first time my daughter has been to Disneyland and my mom hasn't been there in years, so I want to make it special for them both.
Where should we stay???!! Any suggestions would be helpul even activities.

thanks!

jrsharp21
09-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Definately stay on property if it is in the budget! The atmosphere makes it so much better for the little ones. Even when you are not in the park you get to enjoy the Disney quality. As an adult, I even have a better time staying at the resort hotels.

dlandnut
09-16-2004, 11:35 AM
If money is not an object, the GC, of course. The DH comes in a close second. If your mom is limited in walking, elderly, than either would be acceptable. The GC has its own private entrance into CA, which is so convenient. The DH has the monorail station, which is located in Downtown Disney and not far to walk. I have not stayed at the PP, so can't comment on that except to say that it is the furthest to walk of the three. :)

disneyperson
09-16-2004, 11:46 AM
If you can afford it,stay on site, If not, go for one of the hotels across the street on S Harbor. Best Western Park Place is nice so is the Park Inn.

Susan L
09-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Stay on site if you can swing it. I would stay at DLH with a little one, its closest to the monorail. We also are staying there at the end of October and the #1 reason we chose this hotel is how close it is to DTD and the monorail. We have stayed at the PPH a couple of times and really like it however, there is quite the walk and on the way back from the parks its the llllloooonnnngggg walk on those tired feet. Our kids are teenagers and thats a hard walk for us, I sure wouldn't want to do it with little ones. GC is just to expensive for us.

Sheila
09-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Where should we stay???!! Any suggestions would be helpul even activities.

Well, I suggest starting off by reading the reviews for the three onsite Disney hotels in our nifty Reader Submitted Reviews System (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi). After that, read the reviews for all the walking distance hotels on Harbor Blvd. There are a ton of very recent reviews for most of the listed hotels and motels.

I think you'll get a really good feel for which hotels to stay at and more importantly, which to avoid.

Sheila

julia
09-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Definitely stay on-site at Disneyland if possible - the best part is being in the Disney magic 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. It is easy to come and go from Disneyland and California Adventure to your hotel for a nap or a break from the crowds.

Disneyland Hotel is great for kids and a good value for the money. Grand Californian is very refined and beautiful. The Paradise Pier has just been remodeled and a lot of the rooms have views of California Adventure at night.

Best Regards,
Julia

rentayenta
09-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Do what won't break the bank. On that note; this is the first time we will be staying on property. We always stay with family but since it will be over Christmas I don't want to. The holidays are too stressful as it is. I decided we will stay at the DLH. I think I am more excited for this trip which I didn't think was possible. I don't know if it's because there is extra planning to do, it's over the holidays or what? It is costing us close to double what we usually spend but thus far I am thinking it will be so worth it. I am so happy about not having to drive back and forth. I am so happy that we don't have to leave the magic of Disney. Best of all I get glowing pixie dust, er, I mean the kids
get glowing pixie dust ;)

The folks on this site did a great job of not talking me out of it. I will forever owe them.

CoasterChickie
09-16-2004, 08:12 PM
I always hear people talking about how awesome the Grand Californian is and I'm sure that's true, but to me it feels more like being in the a mountain lodge than Disneyland. I love the PPH and especially the DLH because it's all about Mickey, Minnie, Goofy , the castle, Tinkerbell, Captain Hook, etc. Plus, both hotels have some great views of DL and DCA. I may go to the Grand Californian with just my hubby some day, but with kids I will go to the PPH or DLH.

GrumpyUTboi
09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Stay at the Candy Cane Inn. My feeling is that we wake up at 7 am, out of the room by 8:30 for breakfast. At DL from 10-8, then to dinner outside the park. We get back to our room at 10-11 pm then go to sleep to wake up at 7 am the next morning. So you see we are in the room for 9-10 hours of which 8 hours are sleeping. Paying $57 a night as posed to $160-$300 a night is not worth it to me. I'd rather blow my money on tangable items that we take home with us in rememberance of the trip, not a shampoo bottle from the room. Just my humble opinion on things.

Disneyfamily3
09-17-2004, 10:11 AM
We just got back from our 1st stay at GC and LOVED it. We have always stayed at DLH but decided since it was our anniversary we would treat ourselves. I kept an eye on Expedia and on the Disney website and got a reservation for $199 at GC on Sun. we then decided to go up on Sat.When I called they were all sold out for GC & PPH but could get us in at DLH so we took it. They quoted us $265 and we thought maybe not, then she said $245 so we said ok, then I was telling her I got GC for Suns at $199 so she gave us the room for that price. Then when we got there to check in my husband asked at GC again and they got us in and honored the $199 rate on a Sat (which was also the ABC weekend). If your mom will spend any time at all in the room(or any of you)I would definitely go for it. Just keep checking prices and talk to them when you call you never know what kinda of a deal you can get. But of course the DLH is always a favorite, we love the rooms and the grounds,so if you don't mind the walk and really want the total Disney thing I would go there. Hope you all have a great trip. Let us know where you ended up and what you think of it.