PDA

View Full Version : Photos of the Sub in the lagoon, using the kiosks, etc...

Darkbeer
09-15-2004, 11:26 PM
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/222199

A new photo album from September 15th including....

The first day of use of the Self Service Kiosks at Taste Pilots Grill, follow my order in pictures....

A look behind the walls at Buzz Lightyear

A detailed look at the Submarine out in the lagoon, and the testing of show effects

Major sewer work is going on in the Matterhorn area

A look at the Sailing Ship Columbia and the latest on the wood removal

And the current status of the outdoor portion of Haunted Mansion Holiday

Plus much more.....

ENJOY!:fez:

Pedro2NR
09-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the pictures. The sign on the sub looked liked it caught some attention.

Melaniee
09-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Thank you. My hubby is going to be so excited about the sub.

Darkbeer
09-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Please note, the sub is in the lagoon for testing purposes ONLY. There is NO guarantee that the possible new attraction will be greenlighted.

They needed to place the Sub at that location (the begining of the ride) for the test.

Still, it is a step in the right direction.

Disneyfreak
09-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Did you have to say that......

Why would they put that sign up if it wasn't definate? If it was out for testing purposes why did they attach the sign to it? I just think that is mean getting fans hopes up. They must be very confident.

sdfilmcritic
09-16-2004, 12:57 AM
Pictures of Matterhorn construction.... Oh, the pain! The horror! However I do like the picture of the cooling fan sitting up on a ledge. Ha, ha! A small fan to cool off a snow capped mountain!

Darkbeer
09-16-2004, 01:20 AM
Did you have to say that......

Why would they put that sign up if it wasn't definate? If it was out for testing purposes why did they attach the sign to it? I just think that is mean getting fans hopes up. They must be very confident.
Yes, I did.. that is the information that I have received... the ride is still in the "can we do it, and keep the project within budget" stage...

It is a good sign that the powers to be gave permission to perform these tests... but all the information I have been told is that the ride is not yet Green-Lighted, but is still in the "feasibilty" stage.

The sign was to let folks know that they couldn't ride it. No sign, guests would be asking where the queue was for the ride.......

Someone You Dont Know
09-16-2004, 03:55 AM
Curious... If the Sub's engines are dead, how'd they tow that big-girl all the way to the dock?

sdfilmcritic
09-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Curious... If the Sub's engines are dead, how'd they tow that big-girl all the way to the dock?
It was Casey Junior's aquatic cousin that could.

haunted_mike
09-16-2004, 04:04 AM
Two things caught my attention in this excellent set of photos...

1) The computer ordering stations at Taste Pilots Grill.
I would assume that these machines have been put in place so that they can cut-back on "real people" taking orders (ie. labour saving). Seems odd then that they would have cast members staffing the machines to show people how to use them! Was it any quicker ordering this way than placing your order with in a more traditional way?

2) The Subs.
From the way things look from these photos, I'd agree with Darkbeer that this looks more like feasability studies rather than actual work being carried out on the ride. WDI need to work out what needs to be done to get the ride running again, and how much it's going to cost before any real progress can begin.

Not wishing to dash anybody's hopes it does look like the sub that's been parked out the front of the attraction is in pretty bad condition, with rust and peeling paint, not to mention what state the mechanics of the ride may be in! I'm sure it will take a lot of work (and, yes, money) to restore this sub, let alone the rest of the fleet whatever condition that may be in.

I'd also be inclined toa gree that the sign on top of the sub is just there to let people know why they can't ride, of course I'm sure it's also generating a bit of buzz for the attraction which can only be a good thing if management catch wind of it.

Someone You Dont Know
09-16-2004, 04:08 AM
It was Casey Junior's aquatic cousin that could.

You're a national treasure, sdfilmcritic. :D

sdfilmcritic
09-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Regarding Someone's signature "Do you hate pants?"

My answer is: Not as much as I hate shorts in the middle of an Alaskan winter!

hefferdude
09-16-2004, 07:22 AM
However I do like the picture of the cooling fan sitting up on a ledge. Yeah, the AA guy coming out of the Porta-potty looks so real! ;)
Great pics. Borrowed the wait time sign for one of my desktops. Thanks.

stan4d_steph
09-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the photo tour of the new kiosks. Looks like a great system, and the pictures make it easier to navigate. Was there any apparent way to customize orders, i.e. order the chicken you got without the mayo?

Darkbeer
09-16-2004, 09:13 AM
^ NO, the only option I got to "customize" was the upcharge for the Onion Rings or the Full Throttle fries. No option I saw that you could say no sauce.... but you do hand your receipt to a live human being, you could probably tell the CM then.

AVP
09-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Was there any apparent way to customize orders, i.e. order the chicken you got without the mayo?If you look on the right side of the screen there was a "Touch Screen to Customize" column. Not sure if that is where you tell them to leave off the wretched BBQ sauce.

50c upcharge for onion rings? Hey, I already like this kiosk thingy. The last time I asked to get onion rings instead of fries they said I'd have to order a full basket. I bet the kiosk even knows that Taste Pilots does take American Express cards, which is better than the cashier I had sometime last year. :rolleyes:

AVP

Promo-Man
09-16-2004, 09:54 AM

The Subs are surprisingly easy to move. When I worked graveyard custodial on the boat crew many years ago cleaning the subs we had to scrub the water line of the subs with a 3M pad on a poll and the subs would move back and forth as we scrub them. I believe if they did not bring the sub out under its own power they simply pushed it with the service boat.

TikiGeek
09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the photo tour of the new kiosks. Looks like a great system, and the pictures make it easier to navigate. Was there any apparent way to customize orders, i.e. order the chicken you got without the mayo?
Taste Pilot's Grill serves the food with no condiments applied. They have a self-service "condiment bar" that also has lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, BBQ sauce and the like. The only real changes that you could request before were the mentioned - upgrade to onion rings or full throttle fries. This makes TPG a good candidate for this type of self service.

BTW - The onion rings are great! I like them dipped in BBQ sauce. :)

Disneyfreak
09-16-2004, 10:48 AM

The engines are not dead. The subs can move on their own power still.

stan4d_steph
09-16-2004, 10:51 AM
If you look on the right side of the screen there was a "Touch Screen to Customize" column. Not sure if that is where you tell them to leave off the wretched BBQ sauce. I see it now. Thanks for pointing that out AVP. It seems to me that the kiosks are even better than the old system because you get a photo of each item, not just a description. Much easier to understand exactly what you're getting.
Taste Pilot's Grill serves the food with no condiments applied. They have a self-service "condiment bar" that also has lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, BBQ sauce and the like. Actually, the photo of the chicken sandwich that Darkbeer ordered shows it with some sort of white sauce (ranch?) on it. I know the regular burgers are served dry.

TikiGeek
09-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Actually, the photo of the chicken sandwich that Darkbeer ordered shows it with some sort of white sauce (ranch?) on it. I know the regular burgers are served dry.
I stand corrected.:)

TheMur
09-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Any idea what was going on under the black tarp in the lagoon? Are they possibly testing the dry for wet idea? Want to see how it looks through the portholes?

Just the fact that they are looking at possibly doing something is exciting! I know it is a pain with all the closures but all the work they are doing is soooooo positive!!!

Disney Vault
09-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the update again.

AVP
09-16-2004, 03:11 PM
I had lunch there today. The fried chicken sandwich is served with chipotle mayonaise. You *can* delete condiments from menu items, but you can not add them.

For me, this means that getting the grilled chicken breast sandwich with chipotle mayo instead of wretched BBQ sauce means I need to order the sandwich "dry," and beg the nice person at the counter for a side of mayo, since I can't add the mayo to the sandwich via the kiosk. (Yes, I know there are mayo packets at the condiment bar, but it's plain Best Foods and not Chipotle mayo.)

It took me 93 seconds from first touch to printed recipt to place my order. (Yes, I timed it) It took 7 minutes to actually get my order, since the two people in front of me had problems ordering via kiosk, and needed to change their order when they got to the counter.

A family of 7 at the kiosk next to me took 9 minutes to order, because they let each of the 4 kids in the group place their own orders individually. Awww... how cute! Watch Jenny push buttons! With 11 people in line behind us! :rolleyes:

AVP

Disney Vault
09-16-2004, 05:54 PM
A family of 7 at the kiosk next to me took 9 minutes to order, because they let each of the 4 kids in the group place their own orders individually. Awww... how cute! Watch Jenny push buttons! With 11 people in line behind us! :rolleyes:

AVP
That is sooo cute. I will have to let everyone do that when i go. J/K