PDA

View Full Version : Barbershop at Disneyland?

scraps4fun
09-15-2004, 04:58 PM
At DW, there is a barbershop where you can get your or your child's hair cut. Is there one at DL?

Thanks,
Tracy

*I know of nobody who is purely autistic or purely neurotypical.
Even God had some autistic moments, which is why the planets all spin.*
-Jerry Newport

*Some people only dream of angels; we held one in our arms.*
Remembering Jacob March 8 - 9, 1996
Our Angel: http://sids-network.org/fp/jacob.htm

ChipmunkStar
09-15-2004, 05:42 PM
No, there isn't.

scraps4fun
09-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks a bunch!

Disney Vault
09-15-2004, 07:21 PM
I thought there was one. Why were people once talking about getting their kids haircut and then getting green gell with sparkles or something?

sdfilmcritic
09-15-2004, 10:45 PM
I think there used to be one available to the guests, but it was taken out a long time ago.

Melaniee
09-15-2004, 11:53 PM
I think I recall one still being active in the 90's and something about it going males-only...

funny you should ask, I was looking for it last weekend.

Tigertail777
09-16-2004, 12:05 AM
I think you are remembering a Disney magazine article on the barbershop at Walt Disney World. It was something like 3-4 issues back if I recall, they showed a pic of a adult or kid with the sparkles and the barber using a clown size comb and then had a small story on it and where you could get it done too. Hope that helps.

Opus1guy
09-16-2004, 08:17 AM
I don't ever recall a working Barber Shop at Disneyland. There was Cast Cutters backstage, but nothing onstage that I recall.

Walt Disney World's is the only onstage Barber Shop at any Disney theme park worldwide that I know of.

jasonpbyu
09-16-2004, 09:11 AM
i'm sorry, but i can think of a bazillion other things that I (or my kids) would rather do at disneyland than get a hair cut.

Missing Marbles
09-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Does a Babershop Quartet count?

Opus1guy
09-16-2004, 01:28 PM
i'm sorry, but i can think of a bazillion other things that I (or my kids) would rather do at disneyland than get a hair cut.

I don't know about that. I love getting an old fashioned "shave and a haircut" on Main Street at Walt Disney World. It's fun to do and fun to watch the people that peek in to watch you! And if the Barbershop Quartet is out, they usually drop in to belt out a couple of tunes for you. Like really going back in time. A little lilac tonic to boot!

And if you've never had the "pleasure" of being shaved the old fashioned way with a straight blade that's sharpened on a leather strap by a barber who tells you his nickname is "Shakey"...well it's something you have to do just once in your life. After all...it's the only "blood sport" I know of at Walt Disney World! ;)

Disney Vault
09-16-2004, 02:16 PM
I agree with that.

tink1234
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
I think the barbershop you are thinking of is in WDW. I have to say, it would fit with Walt's plan of a real working mainstreet. Real firestation, real post office, real barbershop. It's funny how something as simple as a barbershop would bring in extra money. Even if guests didn't get their hair cut, I know many (my girls) would line up for a sprinkling of pixie dust for their hair! Talk about a fast, easy way for DLR to make money!! Yes, it would probably be overpriced, but so are the $7 MCD's hamburgers! Those who want to use it would and those who don't...don't need to.

ChipmunkStar
09-16-2004, 08:40 PM
tink, the OP already mentioned the barbershop in the MK (DW is a shorthand way to say Disney World).

slydini
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm going in two weeks and I plan on going to the barbershop there. We are also going to have my son have his first haircut there.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM

We aren't talking about Supercuts here. I think it would have been a great memory, and perfect photo op, wonderful shots for their scrapbook, to have my kids' first haircuts be at Disneyland.

scraps4fun
10-17-2005, 03:26 PM
slydini--That will be so cute! Take lots of pics. ;) We just got back from DL yesterday, and it was packed this past week. :crying: We usually go in September to avoid crowds, but they had so many things going on this past week that it made for one very busy place.

Tracy

leotatoombs
10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
We aren't talking about Supercuts here. I think it would have been a great memory, and perfect photo op, wonderful shots for their scrapbook, to have my kids' first haircuts be at Disneyland.
I wonder do they give out certificates of first haircut? I have one with a lock of hair & picture for my first haircut. sort of a behavioral statement checked. Sort of like you would find on a childs report card. you know like: works with others well etc....satisfactory/disatis...
That would be so cool to have from WDW resort!:D

Whittibo
10-17-2005, 04:43 PM
The thought of all this just makes me smile. The fact that it takes you OUT of the present and puts you in a time that was slower paced and just more relaxed then "today" is.. well, it's priceless. Yes, a real working mainstreet of old. :)

I love the idea of getting your son's first hair cut. Or even having the young ladies getting their hair "styled" and some pixie dust added, I would certainly do it! They could do princess styles. :D With or without the tiara (of course there would be an extra charge for the tiara)..

I am STILL smiling just thinking of all the possibilities of this. Sure some people wouldn't do it, but then again, some people don't sit on the porch either. :)

Clotho
10-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Yes, they do give out first haircut certificates. At least they did when we were there (WDW) last year. A little baby boy got his haircut, and we were all standing around, smiling and getting a warm fuzzy feeling. Then I got sprinkles of Mickey confetti and colored hairspray in my hair. They were also doing Mickey templates with the hairsrpay on the back of men's heads who wanted it. I love that little shop. But be ready to stand in line on a weekend afternoon!

geoffa
10-22-2005, 12:20 AM
At DW, there is a barbershop where you can get your or your child's hair cut. Is there one at DL?

Thanks,
Tracy

When HIV became a problem because of transmission on cut-throat razors etc they stopped the shaves at WDW. The "Harmony" barbershop always seemed to be closed everytime we visited. Shame because you have a real close shave whilst "Dapper Dan" guys sang to you. It re-opened but now they only do haircuts. You cannot make an appointment. You have to wait your turn.

See: http://www.mickeynews.com/News/DisplayPressRelease.asp_Q_id_E_824Barber

leotatoombs
10-22-2005, 12:31 AM
When HIV became a problem because of transmission on cut-throat razors etc they stopped the shaves at WDW. The "Harmony" barbershop always seemed to be closed everytime we visited. Shame because you have a real close shave whilst "Dapper Dan" guys sang to you. It re-opened but now they only do haircuts. You cannot make an appointment. You have to wait your turn.

See: http://www.mickeynews.com/News/DisplayPressRelease.asp_Q_id_E_824BarberThat's a bummer! You think in the age of piercing they would just get an autoclave (not sure how it's spelled) a sort of oven that disinfects & the best way to, as well. I guess not many people willing To (supposedly) risk it! Did they still do bloodletting & leaches in the Main st. Usa era?

hbquikcomjamesl
10-22-2005, 06:58 AM
You got the spelling right on "autoclave," although it's actually more a sort of pressure-cooker turned on its side, with a built-in heat source; it sterilizes by superheated steam. (They're also used for molding items from styrofoam beads).

The small hemophagic invertebrates used for bloodletting (and on occasion, they still are, as there are a very few valid theraputic uses) are leeches, not leaches. To leach is to soak a substance out of some object.

geoffa
10-22-2005, 07:01 AM
That's a bummer! You think in the age of piercing they would just get an autoclave (not sure how it's spelled) a sort of oven that disinfects & the best way to, as well. I guess not many people willing To (supposedly) risk it! Did they still do bloodletting & leaches in the Main st. Usa era?

I think they may have looked at disposable razors of some sort but thought it was just easier not to get into that territory. Safer to go with the haircuts only. And barbers "steam sterilisers" were not hot enough to destroy the virus believe it or not. True clinical autoclaves are usually only found in hospitals etc.
I agree with the guy above that I actually have better things to do than have a shave or haircut whilst I'm at Disney but if you want to see what it looks like and read about it:
http://allearsnet.com/tp/mk/mk_barber.htm

:fez: