PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland/Disney Store Closing Ritual

Gemini Cricket
11-20-2001, 01:28 PM
I heard a rumor...

Is it true that at the end of each day @ the Emporium at Disneyland and the Disney Store that the CM's have to sing the "Now it's Time to Say Goodbye..." song? I heard CM's get together in a circle, holding hands and sing the song.

This can't be real can it?

A CM at the Ala Moana Shopping Center (Hawaii) told me they used to do this in the late eighties.

:confused:

mad4mky
11-20-2001, 01:57 PM
Geez...you really heard that?

I worked at our local Disneystore back in...lets see...1996 was when I left. And I can say NO!! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. When we left at night(during the Christmas season when we were so tired, we just grunted to each other), after we counted our registered, stocked and cleaned, and then finally locked up....we said, "goodnight, drive home safely, see ya next time."

I think who ever told you that has been sipping one too many poi cocktails!

Nigel2
11-20-2001, 02:00 PM
Mmmmm Poi Martinis:D

Not Afraid
11-20-2001, 02:15 PM
No, they sing kum ba ya :) Or they all hold hands and recite the serenity prayer.

USofA
11-20-2001, 04:34 PM
I was the manager of a disney store in 1991-1992 and in those days, you did not close until all guests were gone, so the gates stayed open as long as people came in and were still there. sometimes it was up to an hour after the rest of the mall closed before we could close our gate. Many nights the cast would be "zoning" the store for the next day and then they would gather at plush mountain in the back and sing the "mickey alma mater" it was a neat tradition we had. Now during christmas there were many times we just wanted out.

mad4mky
11-21-2001, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by USofA
I was the manager of a disney store in 1991-1992 and in those days, you did not close until all guests were gone, so the gates stayed open as long as people came in and were still there. sometimes it was up to an hour after the rest of the mall closed before we could close our gate. Many nights the cast would be "zoning" the store for the next day and then they would gather at plush mountain in the back and sing the "mickey alma mater" it was a neat tradition we had. Now during christmas there were many times we just wanted out.

Yes, we too of course, had to wait until all guests were out the door. Some guests are just a pain in the butt (Can I say butt?). But, we were always "on stage" and held a plastic smile on our face...and did our jobs. But, geez, we NEVER sang. NEVER. I'd think these people had gone into the looney bin if they wanted me to sing at the end of the day. It was bad enough that Pochahontas sang every half hour about colors being in the wind...if they asked me to sing it, I think I'd hit something.
Gee, I sound negative. Actually I loved that job, and only left because being a single mom, I was working 3 jobs, and was exhausted. Something had to give, and it wasn't going to be mom. My kids still ask me to go back and work there. They loved me working there.

USofA
11-21-2001, 10:13 PM
We had a great cast. (note this occured during the heyday years for TDS.) We were always singing...maybe we were the epitome of Disnoids. We had one castmeber who loved to be greeter (remember those) she would stand at the front of store with Mickey Gloves and lead kids in sing alongs. When ever Follow the Leader song from Peter Pan came on, we would get all of the cast and kids in the store in a line and play follow the leader around store and out front in the mall. My cast tried real hard to make the store feel like the parks. "Magic Happened" all the time.

Julie
11-22-2001, 02:56 PM
I know 2 CM's who've worked in the Emporium - a majority of them closing shifts - and they never said anything about singing as a closing ritual.

Briarose710
11-22-2001, 08:52 PM
hmm lt me think singing at closing..(DCa Stores) umm yea...My friend Frank and i SIng when we're folding nd stocking..but thats just us....and we didi ing the "Now its time." song when we wre leaving about a month ago but that was to try and annoy our general lead..yea that was fun but not traditionally

FEJ
11-23-2001, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
No, they sing kum ba ya :) Or they all hold hands and recite the serenity prayer.

LOL...I think thats the ending of a different gathering...

Not Afraid
11-24-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by FEJ

LOL...I think thats the ending of a different gathering...

Oops! I get my life's activities mixed up sometimes.:D

Rocketeer64
12-02-2001, 12:53 AM
But YES, we used to sing the alma mater song at the end of the night as a nice way to tell people to get the heck home so we could too. We used to gather at the front of the store and actually sing it to the mall as the gates were closing. The folks still in our store would turn around and usually get the hint to finish up.

But YES the rumor is true.

Gemini Cricket
12-02-2001, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Rocketeer64
But YES, we used to sing the alma mater song at the end of the night as a nice way to tell people to get the heck home so we could too. We used to gather at the front of the store and actually sing it to the mall as the gates were closing. The folks still in our store would turn around and usually get the hint to finish up.

But YES the rumor is true.

A ha! It is true! It's a great way to tell guests to get the heck out... Especially if you sing it badly.:D