PDA

View Full Version : CHOC Walk '04

MouseWife
09-15-2004, 09:00 AM
Is anyone participating in this?

I have been to the site and I see you can register on line and that you can send people invites to be a sponsor via e-mail.

Has anyone done this before?

I really want to do this.....

Anyone have anything to tell me about this???

{Lani~I think you are doing a marathon in Monterey this day?? The Hubster also has one he wants to do but I put dibs on this day first :D }

SteveK
09-15-2004, 12:44 PM
We're doing it for the first time. I didn't do the online registration though. We're going to register at the CHOC office next week or the week after. Thankfully, due to the generosity of my co-workers and friends, we hit the $500 Family of 4 amount pretty quickly. We're shooting for $700 now.

There's a good article about it on Miceage today.

-Steve

MouseWife
09-15-2004, 02:33 PM
That is so cool! That is what I want to do but my Hubster thinks we can't reach that amount. :(

Maybe I'll try and then if we don't I'll just break it down? I mean, if we pay for four family members it will be $130. {2 walkers/2 participants} or $200. {four participants}.

Can I ask, what did you use to request pledges?

AVP
09-15-2004, 03:19 PM
MousePlanet keeps trying to put together a team for this, but something always comes up. We intentionally scheduled MouseAdventure for a different weekend this fall so we could participate in CHOCWalk, and then Lani and I both ended up having other commitments for this weekend. :rolleyes:

Well, there's always next year - again.

AVP

Photographer
09-15-2004, 04:25 PM
I walked last year alone ok well except for all the other people there. LOL It was a lot of fun and a nice workout. You wanna park in the garage, then walk to tram route to the park. They line you up on Main St, hand out balloons, do warm-ups and get you pumped up. You walk thru Adventureland, NOS, thru the castle, Fantasyland over to Tomorrowland, down Main St., cross the concourse into DCA's Hollywood Backlot, Paradise Pier, exiting near the dinosaur with sunglasses into DTD where you pick up your freebies.

You can stop here and there but move over to the side so you aren't knocked over. LOL They hand out bottled water inbetween parks. Characters are out cheering you on but you can't get autographs or pics with them only OF them.

Have a good walk! Oh you can turn in your stuff at their office a few days beforehand. It's much easier than doing it the day of.

MouseWife
09-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the tips, you guys!

I will let the Hubster read what you've posted, he is really curious as to what the heck I am planning!! LOL

They give you balloons? Why? To make it like a party?

They did let me know I should register prior, that I can do it now at various locations {including South Coast Plaza} but I live in San Diego so hopefully I will get an over nighter out of this and do it the second of October. :D

Thanks again!!

lilblckrncloud
09-16-2004, 07:58 AM
They give you balloons? Why? To make it like a party?

They really do make it a festive atmosphere. My friends and I participated the last two years and will be there again this year. It is really fun and the characters and cast members who are out there cheer for the walkers and have a ton of energy. It's a wonderful cause and a wonderful event. I highly recommend it to everyone.

As for the donations, you would be surprised how willing people are to give. Most people will give me $10 or $20, but every year I have had a random person who surprises me with a $100 donation. I love that, and it feels so great to be doing something for the kids!

MouseWife
09-17-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi lilblckrncloud! Thanks for your review, as well. I told my niece what you and the others said and she will be a walker with me. Our kids will be our walk alongs.

I am excited about it!

Thanks everyone for their input.

AVP~ Yep, I remember Lani wanting to get a group together but then I think, am not sure, but I think she is doing the run I was hoping my Hubster would do. It's in Monterey and I wouldn't have minded going with him... ;)

Maybe next year. Team MousePlanet would be cool. :cool:

SteveK
09-17-2004, 09:39 AM
That is so cool! That is what I want to do but my Hubster thinks we can't reach that amount. :(

Maybe I'll try and then if we don't I'll just break it down? I mean, if we pay for four family members it will be $130. {2 walkers/2 participants} or $200. {four participants}.

Can I ask, what did you use to request pledges?

I just sent out an e-mail to co-workers and friends with some basic info about CHOC and the CHOC walk (from their site) and a link to the site if they wanted to know more or walk themselves. Overall, I tried to convey what an important cause this is for our community and sponsorship is a small thing they can each do to make a big difference.

There's also a good article on miceage.com this week about the walk with alot of details.

-Steve

Lani
09-17-2004, 09:48 AM
You can stop here and there but move over to the side so you aren't knocked over.Are there people that run the thing?