PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Round Trip

dlandnut
09-15-2004, 08:54 AM
In the past, if we arrived at Disneyland and weren't going in for that day, we sometimes went to the Monorail Station and purchased a round-trip ticket, so that we could at least ride the Monorail into DL and get all excited and thrilled with anticipation for the next day. There has been some question, however, as to whether this option is still available. Can you still purchase a round-trip ticket only to ride in and out of DL on the Monorail, without getting off? :)

sediment
09-15-2004, 08:59 AM
I don't think so.

Dlandmom
09-15-2004, 09:00 AM
I don't think so. If my memory is correct, the last few times I've been on the Monorail, you had to get off in Tomorrowland. When you got on board at Downtown Disney, they announced that it would NOT be a round trip. Of course, that could have changed, but that's my recollection as of a few months ago.

Oldtimer
09-15-2004, 09:08 AM
You can't buy a round trip ticket at this time.

You can ride round trip From TL but only one way from DTD.

It changed when they opened DTD and were prepairing to open DCA. They were worried about added wear and tear on the Monorails from all the added folks that would be around and decide to ride the monorail as well.

Wave,
Oldtimer
:cool:

Missing Marbles
09-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Just this last Saturday, I did a round trip on the Monorail starting from DTD using my AP. The announcement said it was a one way trip, but I just stayed on the Monorail. No one asked me to exit. If they did, I would have just ran around to the short line and hopped back on.
Still, there is no option for buying a round trip ticket in DTD.

sediment
09-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Basically, you have to show entrance media before embarking. And I don't think anyone works the exit turnstile in Tomorrowland checking media.

Wendi
09-15-2004, 11:17 AM
I've never even heard of "purchasing" a monorail ticket. I do know that you can get a "shopping pass" to enter the park for I think 45 minutes or an hour. You have to leave some sort of deposit to do it.

cstephens
09-15-2004, 11:46 AM
I've never even heard of "purchasing" a monorail ticket.

You used to be able to purchase a ticket that only allowed you to ride the monorail on a round-trip circuit. You got on at the station that's now in Downtown Disney and that used to just be in the hotel area and rode in the front of the monorail where the driver is, and then they locked the door so you couldn't get off at Tomorrowland. You basically just get an aerial view of the park. It was something like $3 or $5 per person back in 1987. I don't know when they discontinued this option. The downside is that no one else could ride in the front section though.

Werner
09-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Back in the early Nineties, my college roommate and I used to buy a ticket for about $2 at the Disneyland Hotel Monorail Station and they'd lock us in the tail cone (we nicknamed it "the Bubble") for a round-trip ride. Great fun. Especially during the fireworks!

cstephens
09-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Ooops, my mistake. You're right - it was in the tailcone, not the front. Duh.

Opus1guy
09-15-2004, 08:19 PM
You'll find some info on the old Monorail roundtrip tickets (including a scan) starting in Post #3 in this thread:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=28463