PDA

View Full Version : Rainforest Cafe & Retail Shop

Pages : [1] 2

Rae
09-13-2004, 05:21 PM
I really wan to go to the rainforest cafe, I have heard heaps of reports that go from good to bad. But i'm going anyway, We don't have anything like this in Australia (that I know of anyway). I read somewhere that there is also a retail shop attached. What sort of things do they sell. ALso does anyone know if the kids meals are any good? :)

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-13-2004, 05:34 PM
There is a really nice (and large) retail shop attached. As far as the food, some really love it, I personally think it's okay. I would recommend lunch or dinner, we had the breakfast and it was just plain awful. The kids menu is good and the kids really do seem to love the food and all the activity going on around them.

The Rainforest Cafe has been voted in several polls in LA newspapers as the best place to take kids for lunch.

It is for sure very very unique.

Susan L
09-13-2004, 06:22 PM
We love the Rainforest Cafe, we always eat there. We have learned a few tips though if you don't mind me sharing. If you want dinner and go on a Fri, Sat, or Sun, eat an early dinner, say around 4pm. Its very crowded on those days and is not unusual to have over an hour wait for a table. If possible when eating dinner go during the week. Also, instead of dinner, have breakfast or lunch. We've done lunch but not breakfast. Its not as crowded and prices are less. Have fun its a great resturant, the store is cool too.

minniemom
09-13-2004, 07:21 PM
We are opposite. We always eat there for breakfast. During breakfast they usually only have the first floor open for seating & I think you get more of the "rain forest" feel than upstairs. I really like the breakfast burrito. We had lunch there once and it wasn't as good and if I remember right it was a little more spendy. No matter when you go though, I would ask to sit down stairs.

Rae
09-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Although I was thinking dinner, it would most probably be mid week, we are going the first 2 weeks in March and from my research this is not an overly busy time. Do you think reservation would be needed before we leave Australia or do you think we could do this once we arrived?

rentayenta
09-13-2004, 07:34 PM
The decor is fantastic; the shop is great; the service is mediocre and the food sucks. Again, I really want to like The Rainforest Cafe but they just won't let me :crying:

CarlieB
09-13-2004, 07:58 PM
We ate breakfast and dinner there, and much preferred breakfast. The Stuffed French Toast is yummy, and they have BIG coffees. We also sat downstairs for breakfast, opposite the big aqauarium, which was fun. They encouraged us to look around if we wanted to while we waited, which we did. It's pretty quiet usually for breakfast, so the restaurant looked huge! Dinner was pretty disappointing though - they were very busy, so the service wasn't as good and the food was pretty average. We had drinks at the bar while we waited to be seated and that was fun - they have some nice specialty cocktails you could try.

DopeyWife
09-13-2004, 09:03 PM
What are their hours for breakfast? We've only ever eaten there for lunch and dinner.

missm
09-13-2004, 10:09 PM
I read somewhere that there is also a retail shop attached. What sort of things do they sell.

The retail shop sells t-shirts, cups, stuffed animals, postcards, etc. It's just basic stuff. I ordered a Mai Tai so I could have the glass that it came in (they let you keep it). I use it everytime I make a daquiri (sp).

I am one of the rare people who absolutely love that restaraunt. I had an amazing dinner there for my birthday. The service was fantastic. The food was good. But we did spend a little over $150, (for 3 people), which I thought was a bit steep.

dasrock
09-14-2004, 01:44 AM
they have good martinis :)

09-14-2004, 05:11 AM
A very fun restaurant. The 3894s always order a bowl of clam chowder each and the appetizer sampler to share. That way, we have room for dessert!

sdfilmcritic
09-14-2004, 05:16 AM
A very fun restaurant. The 3894s always order a bowl of clam chowder each and the appetizer sampler to share. That way, we have room for dessert!
VVVVVOOOOOLLLLLCCCCCAAAAANNNNNOOOOO!!!!!!! ....and a pitcher of soda.

09-14-2004, 05:20 AM
VVVVVOOOOOLLLLLCCCCCAAAAANNNNNOOOOO!!!!!!!

You know it, baby.

sami869
09-14-2004, 08:27 AM
It's one of my favorite restaurants. We're gone to the one in Disneyland 5 times and the one in San Francisco twice. We've gone for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everytime we've had great service and really good food.

mjformenotyou
09-14-2004, 09:21 AM
My whole family agrees in that the food is terrible, at every single location (Collectively, I think we've been to the ones in Paris, San Francisco, and Orlando.. maybe a couple more). We hate the food, but the atmosphere is worth it to see. Maybe just appetizers or something, just so the experience can be had.

mystycalchyk
09-14-2004, 09:24 AM
The decor is fantastic; the shop is great; the service is mediocre and the food sucks. Again, I really want to like The Rainforest Cafe but they just won't let me :crying:

I agree 100% with this. I have tried...oh so hard to love it. I want to so bad. I. just. cant. :(

SarahShep
09-14-2004, 09:31 AM
We have one here in AZ that I've been to quite a few times and, as a group of 17, we went to the one in DTD.

We went in June and made reservations about 4 days before we actually went to the restaurant, so I think you'll be fine just making reservations when you arrive, Rae. Of course, they screwed up our reservation and didn't have our table ready... :rolleyes: But I'm sure it won't be a problem if you have a smaller group.

I don't mind the food at all. It's not the greatest food I've ever had in my life, but it's certainly not bad. I can't remember what I had, so obvoiusly it didn't make a huge impression on me. It might have been fettucine...LOL Wish I could remember! Anyway, no one in the group (age ranges 5 to 50) had any complaints about the food. I had a Mai Tai...it was really yummy and we got the glasses to take home with us. They are really nice hurricane glasses, too.

rentayenta
09-14-2004, 10:04 AM
I agree 100% with this. I have tried...oh so hard to love it. I want to so bad. I. just. cant. :(

Isn't it just so disappointing? It's like Denny's with a jungle theme :(
Every time we are in Vegas my kids want to go there. This last trip we took them on the Gondola in the Venitian- way cool.

09-14-2004, 11:16 AM
It's like Denny's with a jungle theme

Sure but think about how much nerve it took to pull it off. A restaurant that's all about the food doesn't need jungle razzamatazz.

At Rainforest Café, it's all about the show. It's fun but nothing more.

Sheila
09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
After visiting the DTD RC several times myself and approving all of the reviews that have come into the Review System, I just can't recommend this restaurant (and I mean the one specifically at Downtown Disney) if you want to have a good dinner in a relatively short amount of time.

Although the environment is fun, you will burn up a significant amount of time waiting for your order to be taken and your food to be served. If you have traveled a long distance in order to visit Disneyland and only have a short amount of time while at DL, I'd really recommend passing on this place. If you're a local, then by all means, knock yourself out! ;)

Otherwise, I agree with the comments about visiting RC for breakfast or lunch; it's bound to be a more pleasant experience.

Sheila

tink1234
09-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Wow! After reading what everyone has written, I am wondering if we all went to the same RFC?! :confused: :fez:

We ALWAYS go there for lunch. Our plan of action...ride the monorail over at 11 or 12 ish. Maybe have a 5-10 minute wait to get seated. We check out the gift shop at this time. Eat. Back to the hotel for a nap and on monorail to finish the day. Conveniant!!

IMO the menu can be pricey, if you let it and not, if you don't. We usually get a sandwich and pop. I don't remember spending more than $10 a person. And you get FULL. If I remember correctly their sandwiches are about $6.50, but come with chips or fries. I don't think that's overly pricey. Now, of course if you go at dinner and order something big it will be more expensive. The gift shop has many touristy things, but they can be as pricey as you want, as well. We purchased a BIG mug with boxers as a special father's day deal for $14 and stuffed animals for $5 each. I think we also purchased some rubber fish for a couple of dollars for 4. So just like anywhere you go you choose how expensive you want to make it.

Christiii
09-14-2004, 11:46 AM
my mom and I LOOOVE the Rainforest..it is a must do!!!! There is usually about an hours wait for a table, but we go into the bar where they havetables and sit and order right awaY!! Most people dont know you get get served a full meal there..and its a great spot for people watching...you can always walk around and check out the rest of the restaurant too. We think the food is fantastic..at least what we have ordered....lately we have been getting the appetizer platter and something else like brussetta...which is some of the best Ive had..I always love appetizer combos, since you can taste many different things...the drinks are really cool, but and colorful but pricey..I aways see big families with lota of kids and feels sorry for the parenta cause everyone has to have a big fancy drink..their own entree and dessert, etc.....I opt for water, and sharing what I can with my mom or friends..Im not cheap..but ai hate to spend a ton of money on food..especially when you dont want to gert toooooo full to ride the rides :-)
We have a microwave in our upgraded Hojo room..and I gotta tell ya..that really comes in handy for leftovers!!
Oh yeah, and the desserts are HUGE...we never have room but always wish we did, so try to split that too!!
Im sure that they have a website an online menu so you can check it out before hand..the prices are avout like a hardrock or planet hollywood...avout average...Im getting hungry!!

mystycalchyk
09-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Well I will admit I have been to two RFC's. One in Phoenix which was horribly disappointing and one in another city (cant seem to remember where now but it was back east) and they were both really bad, but the decor was fabulous! I loved it so much and really wanted to love the whole thing...the bird show was fab, the bathrooms, to die for, I just love a good theme like that that carries all the way through. I just never have found anything worht the price. The food was palatable (I mean I never got sick ;) ) but so overpriced IMO. Like rentayenta said, like a Denny's with a jungle theme. I have never tried the one at DLR.

Rae
09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone,
I am going to go, I have to see this place for myself. After reading everyones posts I have decided that I won't expect to much from the food and that way if it's good it will be a nice surprise.

I am a sucker for colourful drinks and so are my kids, so this all sounds good to me.

Can anybody please describe the Volcano desert, that a few have shouted from the roof tops!

Also I checked out the menu on there site and I don't think the prices are that bad, but as I have said in other posts compared to Australia I think all your restaurants etc look pretty cheap even in DL. :)

Susan L
09-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Although I was thinking dinner, it would most probably be mid week, we are going the first 2 weeks in March and from my research this is not an overly busy time. Do you think reservation would be needed before we leave Australia or do you think we could do this once we arrived?

I'm not sure but, here is their number, 714-772-0413. I know the last time we ate there it was a Friday, they weren't taking reservations. What they did was put our name on a list and we ended up waiting over an hour. Luckily for us there was a really cool Latin band playing right by us so we weren't to bored, did a little dancing and singing along, even though our spainish is very bad. It made the time pass by quikly though.