PDA

View Full Version : DL After dark!

Pages : [1] 2

Lekta
09-13-2004, 11:17 AM
I have ALWAYS wanted to experience DL after the sun went down, but, for some reason or other, we never end up being there at night. Probably largely due to the fact that our feet starting killing us after being at the park all day from "rope drop". On top of that, isn't there only a certain time of year that the park is even open for a significant amount of time during the evening hours?

What attractions/shows do you enjoy the most after the sun has set? I would be very interested in your answers.

Thank you kindly and have a phenominal week!

Disneygirl65
09-13-2004, 11:20 AM
I have ALWAYS wanted to experience DL after the sun went down, but, for some reason or other, we never end up being there at night. Probably largely due to the fact that our feet starting killing us after being at the park all day from "rope drop". On top of that, isn't there only a certain time of year that the park is even open for a significant amount of time during the evening hours?

What attractions/shows do you enjoy the most after the sun has set? I would be very interested in your answers.

Thank you kindly and have a phenominal week!

Matterhorn and Splash at night for rides. Have you ever seen Fantasmic? Awesome also.

PsychDoc
09-13-2004, 11:22 AM
I agree, Matterhorn escpeically if you can time it when the fireworks go off. We've been able to do this several times, just works out. Also Big Thunder is very cool at night. I'd suggest getting a cheap room nearby so that you can take a break and come back at night. DL is even better, I think then. It's also much more enjoyable after you (and children if applicable) have had an afternoon nap and shower.

Hawaiian Cinderella
09-13-2004, 11:22 AM
F-A-N-T-A-S-M-I-C....
Electric Light Parade at DCA....
BTMR is also fun to ride at night..

TooFarFromDisney
09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Listen, just BEING THERE after dark is an experience!!!! Any ride that goes "high" is a kick, but the ambiance everywhere in the park is simply incredible. The Castle is extemely spectacular...!

Lekta
09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
How about DL during the winter months? My wife has mentioned she would love to be there around Christmas for the decor. Anyone experienced this?

rentayenta
09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Matterhorn
Fantasmic
Splash
Electrical Parade

We always stay until well after dark. I even think Toon Town is cool when it's dark, so do my kids.

The lights on the Christmas Tree on Main St. are especially brilliant at night.

rentayenta
09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
How about DL during the winter months? My wife has mentioned she would love to be there around Christmas for the decor. Anyone experienced this?

On Main St. it snows (bubbles) and looking at the snow against the lights is really fantastic!

The whole holiday feel is like none other. We will be there this Christmas too.

napabeth
09-13-2004, 11:30 AM
I love walking through Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise is great! Also the Mark Twain is really cool at dusk.
The train is neat too - you really feel like you're in a forest (or amybe I just have a great imagination)

Ooooooh, and walking around the pools infront of the castle.

Lekta
09-13-2004, 11:32 AM
On Main St. it snows (bubbles) and looking at the snow against the lights is really fantastic!

The whole holiday feel is like none other. We will be there this Christmas too.

I think this may have been just what I was looking for in the next trip to DL! I am going to try to plan on being there in December! Thank you very much rentayenta and all who have replied!!

sjcivilady
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I also noticed your other post that you're hoping to go again soon -- if you can time it when the Christmas decorations are up - it is REALLY magical at night. Last December was my first time to see them - and I thought Small World was very beautiful. Same as Psychdoc, we got to go on the Matterhorn during the fireworks - that was very fun. My feet are killing me by the end of the day, too - so I try to find the best Nike's, Reeboks, whatever is really cushy and that has made a huge difference, and also take breaks to people watch and "take a load off" :) So really try to be there after dark - it will be well worth it.

SarahShep
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Jungle Cruise is way cooler at night! I love going on it then. It's kinda scary cuz you can't see anything but what the lights shine on. I like going on Indy at night, too. Don't know why, since it's a dark ride to begin with...I guess it's just more fun to come out when it's dark. I've been on Storybook at night too, and that was kinda neat. It's more fun when you can't see where you are going and all the little lights are on in the little houses.

dlandnut
09-13-2004, 11:37 AM
I agree with old Walt himself, nighttime was the "special time" at Disneyland. According to what I've read, it was his favorite time. Splash is fun at night. It's fun to be in NOS at night. It's great to walk up and down mainstreet at night. Most of all, it is a magical time to be there in the evening. Suggest going back to your room in the afternoon, taking a refresher nap, and then re-entering toward evening and staying til you drop. :)

cstephens
09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Storybook, especially during Christmas time because it's all decorated as well.

If Fantasmic isn't running but the Mark Twain is running at night, definitely the Twain.

And while on that note, the train too.

Big Thunder Railroad. During the daytime, the ride bores me, but I love it at night.

Splash, especially if you can time it while Fantasmic is running.

Mansion and Pirates, because you actually see more details since your eyes are already adjusted to the low light levels.

CoasterChickie
09-13-2004, 12:58 PM
I like Splash Mountain and BTMRR better at night...they both seem scarier.
I also went on Storybook Land at night for the first time due to lisap's recommendation and it was great...very peaceful and all the little houses and castles looked really neat all lit up. The fireworks over the big castle is spectacular, but you'll have to wait a few months to see that. Just enjoy them on "Soarin'" for now. I finally saw Fantasmic for the first time and absolutely loved it!!

CarlieB
09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Splash is amazing at night time. Just walking round, taking in the sights is great - DL really is a different place in the dark. The lights are amazing, especially at Christmas time, and the atmosphere can't be beaten. Grab a coffee (or hot chocolate) and a churro and just soak it up:)

Is DCA ever open late enough so you can ride GRR in the dark? I haven't managed to do this yet, and I bet it would be great.

DisneylandForever
09-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Listen, just BEING THERE after dark is an experience!!!! Any ride that goes "high" is a kick, but the ambiance everywhere in the park is simply incredible. The Castle is extemely spectacular...!

I agree with this 100%. Just being in the park is just amazing. The castle is awesome, and Main Street is really really cool all lit up. I don't have enough adjectives to describe all the sights in DL after dark!

Remember the Skyway after dark? Especially during Fantasy in the Sky? That was the coolest.

Dlandmom
09-13-2004, 01:22 PM
I loved being at the Hub and seeing all the twinkling white lights in the trees around me.

Walking around New Orleans Square was cool, too. Riding the PeopleMover at night was neat as well.

bassett1976
09-13-2004, 01:57 PM
I always like to watch the fireworks (althought I don't really like the new Imagine show) and to find a place to snuggle up with your significant other. I always like to save the Haunted Mansion for dark. For some reason it's more exciting when I go on it at night. Trying to get the last Splash ride in before the park closes is always a fun thing to do. Pirates is always nice at night when your feet are hurting.

I've always wanted to ride the Sun Wheel in DCA at night. The Electrical light parade is always fun but they should move it back to DL.

Disney Vault
09-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Matterhorn and big thunder mt. are the best at night.

SoCalTinkerbelle
09-13-2004, 03:24 PM
I remember in high school, we'd try to do HM at the last possible minute.. somehting about the haunted effect and late night..
Main Street is open an hour after park closing I believe, so we'd always ride rides up til closing, then grab a snack or shop til midnight (almost alwwya go when the park closes at 11)
DIsneyland at night is the best!

cstephens
09-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Is DCA ever open late enough so you can ride GRR in the dark? I haven't managed to do this yet, and I bet it would be great.

You can on a Saturday and maybe Sunday around this time of year, when it gets dark earlier, and DCA closes at 8 or 9. I loved riding Tower of Terror at night, but DCA hasn't been open late enough for me to do that since the special event before the attraction opened. However, I figure I might be able to do that on a Sunday now and definitely on a Saturday.

Melaniee
09-13-2004, 03:30 PM
I love DL after dark, especially at Christmastime.

I went on the Jungle Cruise after dark for the first time last night, it was amusing. Of course, it always is amusing. ;)

CarlieB
09-13-2004, 03:37 PM
You can on a Saturday and maybe Sunday around this time of year, when it gets dark earlier, and DCA closes at 8 or 9. I loved riding Tower of Terror at night, but DCA hasn't been open late enough for me to do that since the special event before the attraction opened. However, I figure I might be able to do that on a Sunday now and definitely on a Saturday.
Hmmm, sounds like a plan. The only problem is getting wet once the sun's gone down - wither you have to not mind being chilly for a while or have a change of clothes. Im thinking I might try this once we're staying at the GCH - that way I can get soaked and it's just a short trip back to the hotel to get changed:)
I imagine ToT would be very atmospheric in the dark.

DisneylandForever
09-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I imagine ToT would be very atmospheric in the dark.

It's great. They illuminate it with the same purple light they use on the castle. It looks really cool.