PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland: Going for the gold - Chicago Tribune, 9/12/04

Darkbeer
09-12-2004, 11:35 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-0409120078sep12,1,5497814.story?coll=chi-travel-hed

QuikQuote: Naturally, the Disney folk are planning a 50th Anniversary Celebration next year. The party officially begins May 5 (That's 05/05/05. Get it? The Mad Hatter would.), even though the actual anniversary is July 17.

What was it like here on July 17, 1955? Well, it certainly wasn't your average zip-a-dee-doo-dah day.

Disney Vault
09-13-2004, 02:40 PM
My favorite park was-
On this latest visit, there was a moment. It came at a performance of "Snow White--An Enchanting New Musical," which is notable, among other things, for combining the name of a show and in-house critical acclaim. Anyway, the live-action show had just ended, and the big, fully enchanted crowd was applauding.

This one little girl--I'm guessing she was 4--was standing on a chair, her stance steadied by her mother's hands, and excitedly clapping.

Prince Charming, from the stage, spotted her in the crowd. He waved.

The little girl waved back, and turned to her mother, absolutely beaming . . .

So if you want to tell kids waiting in an autograph line that inside the Goofy suit is some out-of-work dishwasher from Oxnard, go ahead.

I, for one, choose to believe--for hours at a time, at least--that elephants can fly without a magic feather, pirates are very cool, that when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true--and if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.