PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror was just that

Pages : [1] 2

MrJims
09-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Just another tidbit from my trip this past week. My brother-in-law brought his girlfriend (who has NEVER been to an amusement park before). We took her on all the Disneyland rides (which she loved every one), and then over to DCA we went. Her first ride...Tower of Terror. It's the first time I've seen anyone come off a ride crying (and she's in her 20s!). It scared the hell out of here so much that it ended her Disney day. I'm not making fun of her at all...just wanted to show that TOT lived up to it's name! I don't think she'll be going in an elevator ever again.

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
What do u mean it ended her disney day? Did she not go on any more rides after that?

DisneyDustin22
09-12-2004, 09:09 PM
all be it the ride is short and yes maybe we got shafted on the complete experience like the one in WDW, but in my opinion, that initial drop, that starts the sequence on the ride, is one of the best in any park for any ride of that type. So I would imagine a rider who isnt used to stomach drops like that, may be affected a great deal. Hopefully though not to the point where it would keep you from going on other rides.

CoasterChickie
09-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I can't believe she was that scared! I was really nervous the first time I thought about going on it in May and chickened out. I was nervous again last weekend and thought about getting off at the last minute. But then I went through with it and I was laughing the whole time! I loved not knowing when I was going to go up or down. I was wearing a skirt and it kept flying up in my face which made me laugh even more. I wanted to go on again right away and then we went back one more time at the end of the night.
It's a bummer that your brother-in-law's girlfriend was so scared!!

MrJims
09-12-2004, 09:35 PM
After TOT, she went back to the hotel and had to sleep it off. She was back again the next day, but not on that ride.

I rode it in WDW, and my stomach can't handle drop rides. My wife loved it though (both WDW and DCA).

Tutter
09-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I rode it last week. It does live up to its name. I was shaking like a leaf when we came out. Really shaking. However, I went on another 3 times throughout the day after that. :D

missm
09-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Ooh. Now I'm scared to go on TOT. I hate, hate, hate the Maliboomer. But I love California Screamin'. Is the drop really bad? Should I not eat before I go on the ride?

DisneyDustin22
09-13-2004, 01:10 AM
its not that the drop is bad, its just for a first time rider, you dont know when its coming. and its not like maliboomer where you know you have no where to go but up. youre at the very base of the ride, so you know exactly where you are going. in TOT, you are moving up and down slowly during the opening of the ride, so you dont know how high or low you may be. until they drop the elevator. and its not really the drop that does the stomach in, the innitial drop is essentially very short, id say maybe 10-20ft tops. after that you get shot upwards and then its the upward and downward motion throughout the remainder of the ride rapidly changing course that creates the feeling.

dasrock
09-13-2004, 01:20 AM
oh well, there goes my last ounce of courage....
I really don't like rides like ToT and my wife and daughter are determined to get me on it.
last time we went to Disneyland I almost freaked out on California Soarning...I sat next to my daughter and she laughed the whole time.
I never held on to a seat so hard in my entire life...and we where on the bottom rack...guess I'll be waiting at the bottom of the TOT :)

SoCalDude
09-13-2004, 01:21 AM
I thought it was great -- the only way I knew if we were going up or down was if my butt was on the seat or in the air :eek: I just wish it was longer!

rentayenta
09-13-2004, 07:47 AM
I can't wait to ride it! We'll be there in Dec. :D

Christiii
09-13-2004, 08:28 AM
you have to ride it!! Okay..I HATE drops...I mean haaate..never done the mailiboomer..wont do splash mountain ever again (tho I LOVE Ca screamin and SM})..and I forced myself on TOT (even alone thank you..since my mom wont ride, hehe). Its really not bad..the themeing is so so worth it!! the drops are short..so you dont have that im going to die feeling....the drops are so short that by the time you know you are dropping...you are done..really HONESTLY....if I can do it..anyone can..okay..not my mom...but anyone else...its a rhemed ride..and NEW!!! you will just be so disappointed if you dont..and sooooooo proud if you do!!!!
8(=o)

Lekta
09-13-2004, 10:56 AM
ToT is a amazing ride, albeit a bit short, but, nonetheless, a MUST ride. The themeing is great and every little touch and detail just expands the whole experience. I wish it were about 30 seconds longer because I just have a blast the whole time through!! Along with Screamin, it is my favorite DCA ride.

blewellen
09-13-2004, 11:02 AM
I also don't like dropping rides, but I love Tower of Terror! The theme makes it worth riding and like someone else said, the drops are over fast. All though I could only ride it once everytime I go. I get a shaky feeling after, but its all good! I want to ride it at night time, I bet its even better at night time! Maybe when the time changes I could ride it at night!

Take Care,

Brenda

Hakuna Makarla
09-13-2004, 12:17 PM
ok, I am scared of roller coasters ( but next time I go I am going on one darn it! )and the ferris wheel scared me to death!
But I thought never would I do tot, but I decided I was going to for no other reason as to say I did it and so I did it! I loved it! and it was not bad, not at all and if I can do it anyone can! Do not pass up someting because some one says its good or bad, just do and see for your self. No 2 people are alike.;)

missm
09-13-2004, 12:18 PM
you have to ride it!! Okay..I HATE drops...I mean haaate..never done the mailiboomer..wont do splash mountain ever again (tho I LOVE Ca screamin and SM})..and I forced myself on TOT (even alone thank you..since my mom wont ride, hehe). Its really not bad..the themeing is so so worth it!! the drops are short..so you dont have that im going to die feeling....the drops are so short that by the time you know you are dropping...you are done..really HONESTLY....if I can do it..anyone can..okay..not my mom...but anyone else...its a rhemed ride..and NEW!!! you will just be so disappointed if you dont..and sooooooo proud if you do!!!!
8(=o)

Okay that got me. I'm going to ride it when I go in Dec.

CoasterChickie
09-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Missm and dasrock...IMO the scariest part of TOT is the anticipation of how scary it's going to be...once you've done it you'll probably want to go on it again. Don't think about it...just do it. Karla did it and I did it so you can do it. You'll be so glad you did and so sad if you don't!

Surfingstitch
09-13-2004, 12:53 PM
I agree that it is a very short ride, but you have to go on it at least once.

It is one of my favorite rides.

Disney Vault
09-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Half my party got out of line while waiting for the WDW one but i was so glad at the end i stayed in line because it was so fun. We went on it 3 more times but couldnt ever get the people who didnt go the first time to go later.

SoCalTinkerbelle
09-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Is the TOT at Disneyland similiar to WDW? Like, when I went to WDW in January, that TOT had a random drop thing.. so sometimes you dropped first, sometimes you flew up ... anyone know?

Osky
09-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Is the TOT at Disneyland similiar to WDW? Like, when I went to WDW in January, that TOT had a random drop thing.. so sometimes you dropped first, sometimes you flew up ... anyone know?
Just one program at DLR... I read somewhere that the random sequence will be added sometime next year.

MrsG
09-13-2004, 05:27 PM
and its not really the drop that does the stomach in, the innitial drop is essentially very short, id say maybe 10-20ft tops. after that you get shot upwards and then its the upward and downward motion throughout the remainder of the ride rapidly changing course that creates the feeling.

And this is the reason that I haven't been on it. The drop I can handle - can't be much worse than Splash. It's the up and down that I'm afraid my stomach can't handle.

sediment
09-13-2004, 05:31 PM
And this is the reason that I haven't been on it. The drop I can handle - can't be much worse than Splash. It's the up and down that I'm afraid my stomach can't handle.
You'll never know for sure until you try. Just remember that there are six elevators, and one out of service for protein spillage won't be a big deal.
It's a lot scarier than it is nauseating, IMO. You don't get a lot of perspective, which aids greatly in nausea. I'm thinking teacups, for example. Or a carrousel.

mumeee99
09-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Ok you guys are going to LYAO at me. I can't stand the 2 drops in Pirates LOL LOL I'm such a chicken! I did Pirates last time we went, I hadn't been to disney in almost 20 years and forgot about the drops. We're going back in December and it is going to take some major self talkin to get me to go on it again. I keep telling myself those 2 drops are worth it for the rest of the ride but ahhhhhh So as you can imagine, TOT is OUT of the question for me!

Ok, you may proceed to laugh now LOL

DisneyDustin22
09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
alright guys, i mean those of you who will actually ride TOT, =) try this out. NExt time you are on the ride, and the elevator is about to go upwards, stare up at the top of the car. The ceiling is a cage which allows you to see all the way up to the very top of the shaft. WHile making your ascent to the top, if you stare straight upwards, you get the sensation you are about to fly right out of roof of the building. very cool!