PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland Rehabs in the New Fiscal Year?

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
09-12-2004, 08:26 AM
While we all breathlessly await the news on submarine lagoon (thanks Matt for your efforts), does anyone hear what other needed changes, rehabs or restorations may be in store for Tomorrowland in the new fiscal year?

New paint scheme - a return to mod?

Tear out the ugly crap/clutter, like Buzz stage decor, wet marble/circle of planters and observatron?

Activate the PeopleMover track?

Activate the Rocket Jets platform?

These all need to be addressed for the 50th in some way to complete the picture...

LAsptsfan3
09-12-2004, 08:50 AM
New paint scheme - a return to mod?

Tear out the ugly crap/clutter, like Buzz stage decor, wet marble/circle of planters and observatron?

Activate the PeopleMover track?

Activate the Rocket Jets platform?

i predict that they will put on some new coats of paint, im unsure if they will change the colors though. I think that the club buzz stuff will stay, especially with the buzz ride going in there.

Activating the people mover track is probably not going to happen...the rocket duds really took a beating on the track and its not like you can throw the old people mover cars back on there.

I would love it if they moved the rocket jets back to where the observitron is, but that would mean they have to retouch the spaces for the rockets and they would have to can the astro or-bite-r...highly unlikely.

On the plus side: You are getting Space Mountain back for the 50th.

i think that everythings pretty much on the right track with CM Matt in charge.

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 09:44 AM
i think that everythings pretty much on the right track with CM Matt in charge.
Thats how i feel.

Pirate Girl
09-12-2004, 11:20 AM

Hey! I love that wet Marble! Makes for great water fights in August. (Although the last time we did this, we rode a few dark rides afterwards and every place the water had gotten on us was glowing green. :eek: )

merlinjones
09-12-2004, 11:33 AM
>>i think that everythings pretty much on the right track with CM Matt in charge.<<

That's all very nice, but I still don't want to look at an abandoned PM track and Rocket platform during Disneyland's 50th anniversary (and certainly not the wet marble or Buzz stage clutter - - it just doesn't seem right.

This global corporation has more than enough cash on hand to do it right (and fast if they want to), and with Eisner exiting, doesn't he want to leave Disneyland on the most positive note?

Let's get going on the rest of Tomorrowland, fellas...

Great work, Matt, and thank you - - but don't give up yet!
:)

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Why do you all hate the big wet marble ball. Is there something else you would want right there? Or would you rather just have an empty space? And was there something there before the makeover (or makeunder) of 1998 or sometime around then.

GoldenEars
09-12-2004, 04:17 PM
I totally agree with MerlinJones!! That horrible Club Buzz Stage has got to go, along with that stupid show. I realize we're getting a Buzz attraction, but that doesn't mean they have to keep the stage area the way it is.

Personally, I think they should do something like they did for Disneyland's 40th Anniversary. They had a cute musical stage show called, Magic Kingdom Kabaret. It had 3 guys and 1 girl in the show, and they danced and sang about the history of Disneyland during the past 40 years. The show was fun, lively, and was geared for both children and adults. Why can't they do something like that for the 50th?

I also agree about bringing back the PeopleMover and returning the Rockets to it's original location. I never liked the Rockets at the enterance to Tomorrowland. Infact, that whole look there is sad and uninviting. I enjoyed the lush display of flowers on each side with it's white planters.

As for the marble ball near Innoventions, I don't really mind it. Altho it doesn't really serve a purpose there anymore. But it's better than having nothing there at all, I suppose.

sleepyjeff
09-12-2004, 04:24 PM
As for the marble ball near Innoventions, I don't really mind it. Altho it doesn't really serve a purpose there anymore. But it's better than having nothing there at all, I suppose.

I think it should go and be replaced with an unaccessiable fountain that shoots water high enough into the air that it could be a wienie for this corner of the Park.

Also, the Peoplemover must be brought back in some form or another. This land needs movement desperately.

merlinjones
09-12-2004, 04:41 PM
How about a cool dancing waters fountain using Bellagio technology - - this would be perfect for the entrance to TL, if the Rockets were moved back where they belong... At The Grove/Farmer's Market in Hollywood, there is a super-cool small dancing waters fountain like this in the plaza... really a spectacular little show, computer timed to classical arias. Sad when a mall has cooler details...

Oh, and let's not forget uncovering and repairing Mary's tile murals.

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Has anyone seen th emovie blank check? The fountain in that movie would be soooo cool to have in TL. It is a square shape with like this

o o o o o o
o o o o o o
o o o o o o
o o o o o o
o o o o o o
o o o o o o

This is an above view and it shoot water up probably about 10 - 12 feet in cool designs. And fountains at the entrance would be cool too. I agree the current entrance is very uninviting.

sleepyjeff
09-12-2004, 05:46 PM

Yes, these are a National treasure and should never have been covered in the first place :crying:

rentayenta
09-12-2004, 06:00 PM
How about a cool dancing waters fountain using Bellagio technology - - this would be perfect for the entrance to TL, if the Rockets were moved back where they belong... At The Grove/Farmer's Market in Hollywood, there is a super-cool small dancing waters fountain like this in the plaza... really a spectacular little show, computer timed to classical arias. Sad when a mall has cooler details...

Doesn't the DLH already have a dancing water show? It's not a cool as the Bellagio's though.

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Doesn't the DLH already have a dancing water show? It's not a cool as the Bellagio's though.
Yes but it is getting worn down and needs some updating.

DisneylandForever
09-12-2004, 06:19 PM
My opeenyawnz:

The covered up murals - They are great, but a bit outdated. Unless they change the color scheme of TL back to white, I'm not too sure those murals would look right these days. They just look sorta have that 60's/70's feel to me, hardly the feel for a land of the future.

Club Buzz stage - 86 it! We are getting the Buzz Lightyear ride, and Buzz Lightyear is not nearly cool enough a character to deserve two attractions in one land. Return it to the Tomorrowland Terrace stage!

The marble ball - I don't mind it, but there could be something so much cooler there. Again this is Tomorrowland, so how about a futuristic interactive statue or something? That fountain idea some of you had was good too. Now that the water doesn't shoot up anymore that big marble ball in the middle there just doesn't really fit.

Space Mountain - I'm so glad it's white again! :D

Radio Disney booth - My God man, bring back The Lunch Pad! I know the TL Terrace is right there, but you can serve just snack food. Kinda like a TL version of the Bengal BBQ.

Innoventions - GUT IT and go back to the drawing board. A Carousel of Progress or America Sings type of attraction would be just fine. Anything would be an improvement.

Starcade - Do something with that 2nd level. It's just wasted space.

Rocket Jets - Make them white again, and put them back where they belong. The entrance to Tomorrowland has been obstructed for far too long. And the "orbitron" is beyond a joke.

Magic Eye Theatre - Okay, its time to replace HISTA.

Star Tours - Time for some new movies, guys! I still think a pod race would be cool.

The Peoplemover - Bring it back! Bring it back! I actually read that they were considering bringing back an updated Peoplemover by 2008. Wouldn't that be AWESOME? :D

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Where did you hear that about the people mover? And i agree with everything you just said ^

DisneylandForever
09-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Where did you hear that about the people mover? And i agree with everything you just said ^

Thanks!

It was either miceage.com, savedisney, disneyforever (no relation to me, lol) or another Disney site - I'm afraid I can't remember, but if I find a link I will post it! It wasn't concrete but I was glad to see it at least mentioned.

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 07:17 PM
I love the rumors and gossip (if it is about disney not the celebs) because it is fun to hope and imagine the possibilities.

merlinjones
09-12-2004, 07:32 PM
>>Doesn't the DLH already have a dancing water show? It's not a cool as the Bellagio's though.<<

DLH show is nice but old tech - - this compurized stuff is amazing in a whole different way

DisneylandForever
09-12-2004, 07:37 PM
This is a great feature:

http://www.savedisney.com/news/disneyland/tl/tl_ss061104.3.asp#

Scroll using the arrow on the right until you get to the pic of the peoplemover and autopia. The caption of the photo reads:

Also rumored is that Tomorrowland may get some attention, perhaps a new PeopleMover, by 2008, ten years after the mistakes of Tomorrowland '98.

Be sure to check out all the photos!

PsychDoc
09-12-2004, 07:47 PM
My opeenyawnz:

The covered up murals - They are great, but a bit outdated. Unless they change the color scheme of TL back to white, I'm not too sure those murals would look right these days. They just look sorta have that 60's/70's feel to me, hardly the feel for a land of the future.

Club Buzz stage - 86 it! We are getting the Buzz Lightyear ride, and Buzz Lightyear is not nearly cool enough a character to deserve two attractions in one land. Return it to the Tomorrowland Terrace stage!

The marble ball - I don't mind it, but there could be something so much cooler there. Again this is Tomorrowland, so how about a futuristic interactive statue or something? That fountain idea some of you had was good too. Now that the water doesn't shoot up anymore that big marble ball in the middle there just doesn't really fit.

Space Mountain - I'm so glad it's white again! :D

Radio Disney booth - My God man, bring back The Lunch Pad! I know the TL Terrace is right there, but you can serve just snack food. Kinda like a TL version of the Bengal BBQ.

Innoventions - GUT IT and go back to the drawing board. A Carousel of Progress or America Sings type of attraction would be just fine. Anything would be an improvement.

Starcade - Do something with that 2nd level. It's just wasted space.

Rocket Jets - Make them white again, and put them back where they belong. The entrance to Tomorrowland has been obstructed for far too long. And the "orbitron" is beyond a joke.

Magic Eye Theatre - Okay, its time to replace HISTA.

Star Tours - Time for some new movies, guys! I still think a pod race would be cool.

The Peoplemover - Bring it back! Bring it back! I actually read that they were considering bringing back an updated Peoplemover by 2008. Wouldn't that be AWESOME? :D
Yes I totally agree. To add....bring back good, edible food from TL of the past. Rember Space and Moon Burgers? Meat you could actually eat?!

PsychDoc
09-12-2004, 07:51 PM
This is a great feature:

http://www.savedisney.com/news/disneyland/tl/tl_ss061104.3.asp#

Scroll using the arrow on the right until you get to the pic of the peoplemover and autopia. The caption of the photo reads:

Also rumored is that Tomorrowland may get some attention, perhaps a new PeopleMover, by 2008, ten years after the mistakes of Tomorrowland '98.

Be sure to check out all the photos!
You're right. That was so sad to see. Walt must must turning in his grave.

olegc
09-12-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm not going to claim what is and is not my favorite part of Tomorrowland - I don't spend enough time there anyway (I'm a left sider my self) BUT I do have a question. Why is it with so many folks that the 50th anniversary should be equated ONLY with the re-establishment of the previous ride set and rebuit/renewed. Should not the 50th anniversary rejoice in the memories of the past and celebrate the coming of the next 50 years. I feel like sometimes these "thoughts" about the 50th are just more ammo for individuals' personal quests to get things done and bring back what their own personal vision of what Disneyland SHOULD be. While things like Innoventions has shown it's not popular, and HISTA has shown it's age, it's not very fair to say that the disneyland that YOU want is necessarily what others want. Kids who see Club Buzz for the first time are always transfixed by what goes on. Regulars pass it by. Some like HISTA for what it is. Look at it with a new person's eyes. It's has a way to go but you have to plan it right.

I want tomorrowland to have things in it you can do. Not just what merlinjones wants or DisneylandForever wants - but something for everyone and the whole family. New and old, fond memories and exciting adventures.

Hey - that could be the start of a theme park slogan.

DisneylandForever
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
While things like Innoventions has shown it's not popular, and HISTA has shown it's age, it's not very fair to say that the disneyland that YOU want is necessarily what others want. Kids who see Club Buzz for the first time are always transfixed by what goes on. Regulars pass it by. Some like HISTA for what it is. Look at it with a new person's eyes. It's has a way to go but you have to plan it right.

I want tomorrowland to have things in it you can do. Not just what merlinjones wants or DisneylandForever wants - but something for everyone and the whole family. New and old, fond memories and exciting adventures.

:confused:

What in the WORLD are you talking about? If somebody told you that this is the official board for imagineers, you were lied to. How is me or merlin or anybody for that matter saying what we would like to see being unfair to other people? Where's the logic behind that? How is me stating my opinion (I even started the post with "my opinions," creatively spelled) translated into me saying my opinions have to be other people's opinions? Huh?

merlinjones
09-12-2004, 10:38 PM
>>I want tomorrowland to have things in it you can do. <<

How are closed and abandoned attractions like Rocket Jets, PeopleMover/Rocket Rods, Submarine Voyage and Skyway building for the future? Is this a Tomorrowland with things you can do? How are closed rides more relevant for today's children than open rides that were cool?

If Disneyland managment had plussed the park with innovative new technology, storytelling and experiences we wouldn't be posting here... But degrading what was cool for - - well, nothing - - or just the cheap and ugly, well the 60's are still more futuristic than that...

By the way, DF, good ideas!

Tigertail777
09-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Frankly (and I know I am gonna get a lot of people who disagree with me) I think they need to scrap the autopia its a huge piece of real estate that has absolutely nothing to do with the future anymore. Dont get me wrong, I know kids love driving the cars and stuff, but if they are going to have an attraction in this vein it really needs to be much more futuristic. I know autopia at one time was considered futuristic (when everyone thought the new freeways would be the saviours of the rat race traffic :rolleyes: ), but it hasnt been for many years now. It would however fit in very well over in DCA, and you could even have a elevated part that goes back into disneyland in a small part of the area it used to go so you would have a ride that loops between the two parks. With most of the autopia gone, they would have some real room to put in something spectaculor. There are tons of things they could make; a super realistic updated half roller coaster version of Adventure through inner space, maybe a Tron ride where you go into a computer, maybe a ride that is entirely holograms (I know major pricey, but you would sure have people coming just to see it), maybe a time machine ride with a twist: you can choose a point in Disneyland's past to visit... I dunno there are so many possible ideas. I just want to see Tomorrowland actually have something to do with tomorrow and be fun again. :D