PDA

View Full Version : Stupid People

Pages : [1] 2

akacl
11-20-2001, 05:47 AM
I just want to hear stories about stupid people you have experienced or encountered while visiting/working at Disneyland and/or DCA. Cause while I work, they seem to be everywhere......

Here are some examples from when I am working....

*One woman was video taping while walking briskly, then tripped over a rope.
*People asking me if the water in paradise pier and grizzly river run was real.
*Asking me where the restroom is, while standing in the entrance to the restroom.
*Diving an ECV, and getting closelined by the ropes because people dont look where they are going(it was reall funny though) Also, they tend to run into everything.
*Asking if the birds are animitronic.
*Asking when we will open the road in Hollywood (about road painted near the Hyperion theater)
*Asking me when they will turn off the rain.
*I was asked if I ever met Walt Disney(I am 23) That would be a scary sight
*If we pay the ghosts in the haunted mansion.
*I saw a guy in an ECV, and couldnt park it, so he got out and pick up the rear and dragged it into the spot he wanted.
*Wanted to know if the food in the resteraunts was real(even though people all around him were eating).
*Asking me if the light parade will be running during the daytime(that would defeat the purpose).
*inquiring if I work at DCA(while wearing the stupid red hyperion costume, and my namtag)

I can go on, but I will ad many more later...........

CaliforniaCrazy
11-20-2001, 07:01 AM
Has somebody ever asked you where Disneyland is located, right when they are in DCA? :D

tabacco
11-20-2001, 08:33 AM
Alright... I was standing out in the plaza (in the middle), facing Disneyland. A guy comes up, ina hurry, and says "Hey, I'm supposed to meet my wife by the giant letters. Can you tell me where they are? I've looked all over."

Bear in mind, this guy is facing DCA when he asks me this, so I turn around and point at the giant letters right behind me. He thanks me and runs off.

bluepearl
11-20-2001, 08:48 AM
Well, I'm not sure this qualifies - but I was at DCA once, watching Party Central do Road Trip, and they'd just finished the hoola-hoop competition. The lead singer was congratulating the teenage female winner, and said something along the lines of, "Thanks for participating! And where are you?" (I can't remember the exact words, but I hope everyone gets my gist here) and she yelled, "DISNEYLAND!" I think he got a little embarassed because he then said, "Disney's California Adventure, right?!" Ouch.

Permanecer Sentados
11-20-2001, 09:10 AM
Here's a thread that may interest you:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1249

Not Afraid
11-20-2001, 09:44 AM
While relaxing on the drawbridge an adult looked over the side and exclaimed to her child "Look at the goose"! It was all I could do to not say SWAN!

hbquikcomjamesl
11-20-2001, 11:44 AM
Do the hordes of people who come up to me and ask me questions as if I were a CM (despite the fact that I don't have a badge, and I do have a moustache) count?

Nigel2
11-20-2001, 01:10 PM
Did they take back the policy of letting cms grow mustaches? Its more fun to mess with them if you don't work there, like when you are asked how to get to an attraction that you are standing in front of, say HM. Here is what I did, I told them to get on the train stop at NOS, ride it and get off at the 4th stop after they got on (I told them the stop after main street) then gave them directions to the HM from there. :D odds are they got lost on the way to the train station,

tinkfreak
11-20-2001, 06:19 PM
Well, I guess I've run into the most stupid people while working at Splash Photo. Every time they did something obscene or unsafe and their picture was deleted, they would be so blown away by it. They always demanded that we should put up a sign notifying them that they couldn't do that particular thing. Can you imagine? Here's some of the signs Splash would be littered with:

Do not remove your shirt

Do not hold your small child up in the air as if he were a trophy

Do not flip us off

Do not sit backwards or sideways

Even though you have a bra on, it's still considered flashing

Do not stand up

Do not stand up, turn around and drop your pants

Do not grab anyone's breasts (including your own)

Wouldn't all that look great?

LIMANDL4EVA
11-20-2001, 08:28 PM
once i heard some tourists walk by the mattehrorn and say "oh isnt it great that they found a mountain to build Disneyland around!"

HBTiggerFan
11-20-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by LIMANDL4EVA
once i heard some tourists walk by the mattehrorn and say "oh isnt it great that they found a mountain to build Disneyland around!"

I have read this in many books (namely MouseTails or More Mouse Tails). How long ago did you hear these people say this? I would have loved to hear that!!

LIMANDL4EVA
11-20-2001, 08:36 PM
ive never read "mouse tails"
i heard it about 15 years ago, and it was so stupid that i remember it to this day

ripplededge
11-20-2001, 08:44 PM
* I think I have gotten asked if I work there 6 times, in costume, in Disneyland
* Asking me where Tomorrowland is while looking at the map!!!
* Where is the main entrance? (keep in mind this was before DTD opened, so no use of the monorail)
* What time does the 9:30 fireworks start... You get that a lot in DTD.

I know this won't count, but this lady wanted me to pin trade my security badge for one of her son's pins. And when I told her it was part of the costume and did not belong to me, she had the nerve to tell me "well can't you buy another one?" And I said, it is not my place to give it out. So she kept following me around, seriously for 10 mins. asking me if I knew anyone that would trade with her son. I was almost going to radio in a 10-99 (uncooperative person) and get my lead out there to shoo her off. I finally said ma'am no one is going to pin trade with your son for their security badge, please leave me alone. She got all t-ed off and said it wasn't guest service. Then she came back 5 mins later and asked where she could buy one..... grrrrrrr

marron-cream
11-20-2001, 09:16 PM
My peeves: We EMBROIDER the hats. We do not ENGRAVE them. As far as I know, one cannot engrave cloth.

And what else annoys me is when a guest asks if the "engraving" is free, all the while tracing their fingers around the prominent sticker stating FREE EMBROIDERY.

tabacco
11-20-2001, 09:50 PM
You'd be amazed how many people stand in line for half an hour with their families to buy tickets, then have no idea how many people are in their party when they get to the front.

tabacco
11-20-2001, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
You'd be amazed how many people stand in line for half an hour with their families to buy tickets, then have no idea how many people are in their party when they get to the front. I've seen parents have to turn around and count their children, even when there aren't that many of them.

Morrigoon
11-20-2001, 10:18 PM
You'd be surprised how many people post something on a discussion board, then immediately post a quote of themselves posting it.

;)

Sorry Tabacco, I couldn't resist!

stinkerbell
11-21-2001, 12:35 AM
I'm laughing so hard I'm coughing, Morrigoon. I'm going to wake up the whole house! Sorry, tabacco.

coronamouseman
11-21-2001, 12:51 AM
I suppose it's hard for some of us who are computer/Internet saavy to understand why anybody in the world should be uninformed about anything in this day and age .............

On the other hand, part of the privilege of having access to so much information should include the realization that so much of the population of the world still has so little knowledge outside of the world that exists within their field of vision or their local town, hamlet, village or city.

Even in the United States, you only have to go short distances outside of any major city to end up in areas where people do not travel extensively or don't have credit cards or checking accounts .....

So if you are an informed and educated person who can travel about easily and comfortably then enjoy that situation but temper your judgement on what might be stupidity or lack of awareness - you might be traveling in some foreign country some day and asking a "stupid" question which to you is very important but to the locals may only be a matter of ridicule .......

Friend of Mickey
11-21-2001, 01:43 AM
So! People are stupid! No big surprise there, right. With all you CMs posting about how stupid people are, my opinion of CMs is taking a hit.

EandCDad
11-21-2001, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Friend of Mickey
So! People are stupid! No big surprise there, right. With all you CMs posting about how stupid people are, my opinion of CMs is taking a hit.

Amen brother (or sister) as the case may be. Funny, no CM has mentioned that guy who started the Pirates boat and flipped that lady and her infant over the seats. Or the other guy who did it again to a different lady and her infant. That was pretty stupid.

MammaSilva
11-21-2001, 08:09 AM
Well having recently experienced a very negative couple of posts from a CM who then proceeded to brag on his guest compliments for a brief moment I was like well forget THAT see if I ever take the time or effort to stop by City Hall and fill out that little postcard again, but then reason took over, yeah there have been some CM's posting on here that have been pretty rude/negative/arrogant about being a part of the magic and the guests are fuel for poor humor and lots of off stage ridicule but I decided that they must be in the minority ... not that on any given day a CM might have a rotten day, just overloaded with uniformed guests, rude guests and yeah even "stupid"ones and might need a safe place to vent so they can go on stage the next time with that smile and "Disney" personality in place. Having said that tho I will say this...in the future when I go to the park I will be doing things slightly differently than in years past.

Haldwitten
11-21-2001, 08:19 AM
Now now... any job that has to deal with the beast known as "the public" will come with horror stories. I recently read a list of "stupid questions" people ask paramedics on the job, and they were just as hilarious. Sharing these stories is a way to vent frustration AND receive confirmation from others that "yes, that was a stupid question."

And yes, there are some incredibly stupid CM's. But most of those stories take a lot more setup to share with someone who doesn't know about backstage procedures or politics. A lot of the ones I know would fall into the "you just had to be there" category. Guest stories are easier to share with other guests because... come on... even guests have to deal with other stupid guests.

And as for the CM's who dispatched boats on Pirates and hurt those poor people. Of course that's stupid... but it's not "funny stupid." There's a difference.

For some reason, I have never been annoyed by the bathroom question... because some of those bathrooms seem to be deviously hidden. And when you gotta go...

MammaSilva
11-21-2001, 08:24 AM
Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, those "maps" on the Disneyland today are NOT guest friendly unless you really know the park and where you are as opposed to where you want to be....

Alex S.
11-21-2001, 08:25 AM
I'll put this under "ignorant" rather than "stupid". Asking an ignorant question doesn't mean you are stupid, just that you don't have the information to avoid the question.

On my last visit to the park, there was a small group of candy ravers. A child near me noticed that one of them was wearing Shrek ears and pointed it out to mom. Mom then went and asked a CM where she could buy a set.

Not stupid, because most people could care less about who actually made a movie and there is no reason most people would be aware of the animosity between Disney and Dreamworks anyway. But an amusing question nonetheless.

The CM just shrugged, by the way.