PDA

View Full Version : Just returned...

Pages : [1] 2

MrJims
09-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Well my wife, family and I just returned from DLR a few hours ago after 6 wonderful days. Since I was a skeptic about the park having no castle and many ride closures, I thought I'd just say that having no castle and a few buildings tarped had NO effect on my Disney time...this was actually one of the best times I've been there (and I only get to go once a year if I'm lucky financially).

Just wanted to say to all those going this month that nothing that is closed for the 50th will effect your trip. You will have a blast. And Big Thunder is better than ever!

Hard to believe that 9 hours ago, I was "mingling" with Jim Belushi, Andy Dick and Ty Pennington in DCA!!! Got some memorable photos for my album for sure!

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Good to hear you had a good time. Are there any noticable differences on big thunder mt. or was it better than ever because it has just been so long?

MrJims
09-11-2004, 07:43 PM
I think it's mainly that it has been so long...once that ride gets warmed up, it truly is the "wildest ride in the wilderness". I must say though, one time riding it I was put in the front car, row 1, and for some subconscious reason, I was nervous. But after a few more rides, all was good. Glad it's back.

They took the tarps down on Blue Bayou while I was there, and the painting does look great.

thinktink
09-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Were those the only tarps in NOS or are there more? Also did you notice if the tarps are still up over the emporium on mainstreet?

MrJims
09-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Those were the only tarps in NOS. There are still tarps over the latter half of the Emporium, but the front of the store is tarpless. Tiki room's fully covered, and the entire Matterhorn area is boarded off...there's scaffolding and orange spray paint over one side (that happened in the course of one night...it closed after labour day, and by Tuesday morning, the boards were up). HM Closed Tuesday for the holiday overlay, so it's covered in green paper. Then there's the area around the old rocket rods (signs say "new attraction from Disney imagineers opening soon"), across from Star Tours, and of finally the castle.

rentayenta
09-12-2004, 06:42 AM
It sounds like you had a great trip MrJims. I can't wait to ride Big Thunder!

09-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Very cool, MrJims! Thanks

splashmtngurl
09-12-2004, 01:08 PM
all of those stars were in DCA? wow, didnt know that. They must have been filming the ABC disneyland days thing there, right?

MrJims
09-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Yeah...it was part of the ABC Primetime Weekend. I only had the Saturday morning to be in the park (till noon), so we got there at 10, and I first saw Andy Dick, Eric Roberts, Will Sasso and Patrick Warburton (guy from intro of Soarin over California) at the meet and greet area. You could just walk right up and snap pictures. Then we say Ty Pennington and the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition crew on the Q&A stage, and while walking back, we ran into Jim Belushi, Courtney Thorne Smith, Kimberly Williams-Paisley and Larry Joe Campbell...all within centimeters. They truly do just "mingle" with everyone.

I must admit that I get starstruck very easily, and seeing all these all stars "close up" (especially Jim Belushi) made my trip. Like I said, I got some very close up and personal photos with my camera. It was great.

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Was this held in WDW before there was a DCA or is it a new thing the disney company has just been doing for a few years now?

CoasterChickie
09-12-2004, 05:02 PM
MrJims...Sounds like you had a great time on your trip . I am so envious that you got to meet Patrick Warburton. Are you going to post pictures for all of us to see? Please do. :)

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 05:57 PM
CoasterChickie what is that picture in your avatar?

Hakuna Makarla
09-12-2004, 06:18 PM
CoasterChickie what is that picture in your avatar?I believe its her son eating cotton candy,am I right?

CoasterChickie
09-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Yes, that's my son being extremely gross. (Sorry if it's offensive to anyone)
He ate half a box of Captain Crunch, 7 regular coca colas, a scoop of icecram and a brownie, and then tried to eat cotton candy. If you could look at this picture close up you'd see that only the whites of his eyes are showing!
Disgusting!!

Sorry Mr. Jims...didn't mean to distract from your thread!!

sdfilmcritic
09-12-2004, 06:25 PM
He ate half a box of Captain Crunch, 7 regular coca colas, a scoop of icecram and a brownie, and then tried to eat cotton candy.
Mmmm, tasty!

SCUBAbe
09-12-2004, 06:31 PM
MrJims...Sounds like you had a great time on your trip . I am so envious that you got to meet Patrick Warburton. Are you going to post pictures for all of us to see? Please do. :)here's some pics of the parade:
http://tla-photography.com/dcs.htm

I'm not star struck, but my daughter wanted to watch it. We got there at 3:50pm and there was a spot up close so I said ok. Then she kept insisting I take pictures of all the cars...LOL..When she saw andy dick she was in heaven...LOL

MrJims
09-12-2004, 07:19 PM
I kinda noticed that not many people were star struck. When Jim Belushi walked by me, barely anyone (besides me!) even noticed. Up here in Vancouver, even though we are considered "Hollywood North", I have yet to see a celebrity. And when they do come to town, it seems like everyone in the city shows up to catch a glimpse. That's what made the experience in DCA awesome and memorable. They seemed like normal people. My flight was at 4pm, so I didn't get a chance to see the parade or the afternoon shows. I would have liked to have been there today to see Kirk Cameron and the Growing Pains cast...ha! Blast from the 80s!!

No worries about going on tangents on this thread either. The whole point behind me making it was to let those people who are going this month (or the next few months) know that the reno work had no affect on the Disney magic. I was very nervous about this trip, and made many a comment in other threads casting my disappointments. But as soon as we got there, it all seem to melt away (and not just from the 120 degree heat!). Seeing celebrities was just a bonus!

SCUBAbe
09-12-2004, 07:53 PM
here's some pics of the parade:
http://tla-photography.com/dcs.htm

I'm not star struck, but my daughter wanted to watch it. We got there at 3:50pm and there was a spot up close so I said ok. Then she kept insisting I take pictures of all the cars...LOL..When she saw andy dick she was in heaven...LOLoops wrong link or typo..LOL

here's the right one..:)

http://tla-photography.com/dca.htm

CoasterChickie
09-12-2004, 09:22 PM
MrJims...I remember your posts to those previous threads so I was really happy to read that you still had a great time. We felt the same way. In fact, because some things were closed we did other things we don't normally do. There were so many great suggestions from everyone here at Mouseplanet.

Scubabe...Javanod and I are sitting here cracking up at your photos....you keep saying "Don't know who this is, don't know who this is either." (LOL)
So which one is of Patrick Warburton. You DO know what he looks like , don't you?! (LOL)

Javanod
09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Scubabe, the picture labeled "[The ABC Fall Preview]

The ABC Fall Preview

maybe this is Jim Belushie?" is Patrick Warburton.

GrumpyUTboi
09-12-2004, 10:00 PM
SCUBAbe,

Every time I see your pic I think of the Blink 182 song about Jack and Sally.

SCUBAbe
09-13-2004, 05:54 AM
Scubabe...Javanod and I are sitting here cracking up at your photos....you keep saying "Don't know who this is, don't know who this is either." (LOL)
So which one is of Patrick Warburton. You DO know what he looks like , don't you?! (LOL)
umm, no..The name isn't even familar. My daughter just kept saying take pictures of all the cars and I kept saying, but I don't know who they are...LOL..at one point the fire truck came down with all the boys on it from "absolute savages?" I said I have no idea what that is and my daughter said, "who cares! They're HOT! You better get a picture"..LOL

SCUBAbe
09-13-2004, 05:55 AM
Scubabe, the picture labeled "[The ABC Fall Preview]

The ABC Fall Preview

maybe this is Jim Belushie?" is Patrick Warburton.
oh, ok...and who is he? What show is he on?

Javanod
09-13-2004, 06:51 AM
Voice of Kronk in Emporor's New Groove, Putty (Elaines's onetime boyfriend) in Seinfield, your intro guy (purser, host... ? I don't recall the title) in the video intro to Wings over California. Don't know his current project.

CoasterChickie
09-13-2004, 07:14 AM
to Wings over California. Don't know his current project.

Psst...Javanod....it's SOARING over California ;)

BTW Patrick Warburton does kind of look like Jim Belushi and I don't know who the "Absolute Savages" are either.