PDA

View Full Version : Castle diorama moving!

Pages : [1] 2

SweetAurora
09-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Disney has announced that one diorama scene from the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough will be given a window at the Emporium on Main Street.

The famous "kiss" scene has been taken out and will be installed in its own window throughout April 2005, when all the windows will be redone again for the 50th. Aurora, Prince Philip, and the 3 fairies were all reclothed, the diorama itself was cleaned and repainted, and the mechanics of the dolls were redone a bit to get the scene all spruced up for its reappearance.

Disney also reported that they had cleaned out some of the other dioramas, and also quoted that they were "holding on" to the scenes for "future use".

I was excited by this news--at least they are keeping the walkthrough intact for now (even though it's not being kept up well, reportedly) and are replacing one of the dioramas so all can see it again. One is better than none!

cstephens
09-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Just curious - where did you get this information from? Thanks.

SweetAurora
09-11-2004, 02:26 PM
CM's were talking about it backstage today. I'm guessing it was probably in the Disney Line.

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 03:51 PM
That is good news to hear. Bring back a piece of history for all to enjoy on main street.

SueKruse
09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Disney has announced that one diorama scene from the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough will be given a window at the Emporium on Main Street.

The famous "kiss" scene has been taken out and will be installed in its own window throughout April 2005, when all the windows will be redone again for the 50th. Aurora, Prince Philip, and the 3 fairies were all reclothed, the diorama itself was cleaned and repainted, and the mechanics of the dolls were redone a bit to get the scene all spruced up for its reappearance.

That scene is already installed in one of the Emporium windows on Main Street. I noticed it this past Thursday evening when I went to Disneyland. It was nice to see it again.

Christiii
09-11-2004, 04:33 PM
well..I guess that is good news, but I really miss the main street windows when they woule tell a complete story. They were one of my favorite things as a child...I couldnt wait to see what story they chose, and I would pour over the detail of each window..having to be fianlly drug away, hehe...I just loved them so so much!! For a long time now they have just been seperate windows of different themes..must too lazy to change em out i guess...really makes me sad when i visit now..to see the lack of effort put into the windows. At least they could use the whole diorama from the castle to fill up all the windows, so they woule flow like they usee to :crying:

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Do you have any pictures of the old window displays? I would really like to see what you are talking about Christiii

Christiii
09-11-2004, 05:31 PM
no..I wish!! what they did was have the same type of mechanical sotyboare vwindows..but it would tell the whole story..starting at the window by the fire station...it was usually a movie that was new or re released or something..they even did Lilo and
Stich so it hasnt been that long..tho my favoreite were the old movies like Mary Poppins..they are ao charming..I dont know why they stopped putting them in...

Tigertail777
09-11-2004, 07:58 PM
I will see if I can find some pics of when we went about 3 years back, they had the lilo and stitch windows, and I took at least 3 of them. I think that the big downtown disney store also had its own windows for Atlantis as a coming attraction thing, but am unsure. She is right though this is a tradition that has gone on for as long as I can remember: every new movie coming out had a full story being told throughout all the windows. Sometimes they would do it for re-releases into theaters too, I remember a really cool 101 dalmations one they did once. From everything I have read and heard about, the people who designed the old windows were under a seperate department, a department that was JUST for the windows and store displays. I have heard that department suffered some major cutbacks in the past few years and that is why they no longer do it the traditional way. Here's hoping Matt can put that department back together the way it was, that was one of the truly most magical things about main st: the window displays changing.

Christiii
09-11-2004, 08:14 PM
not only changing...but the detail was just magical!! as a kid I could just stare at them for hours..just like the movies coming to life...really! that would be the firstthing I would do, is run the the Maqin street windows to seethe story, then just linger over each window before I hit the rest of the park. Ive always wondered why they dont just put the ones they already have back in there...its not like they would have to pay for new ones...its so sad to see them taken away for money reasons..I just hate to see these special old features go...I mus say I didnt like the newer movie windows as much (not as much detail), but to see them atopped all together?? I just dont get it :rolleyes:

merlinjones
09-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Does this mean that:

1) Sleeping Beauty Castle Diorama will be closed permanently?

2) They are installing something new or different inside the castle?

3) The old attraction will be restored and reopened in the future?

What's the inside track?

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 09:40 AM
It would be cool if they made it a walk through history inside the castle. They could make all of the old dioramas a display case and show pictures and artifacts from the past.

Pirate Girl
09-12-2004, 11:33 AM
It would be cool if they made it a walk through history inside the castle. They could make all of the old dioramas a display case and show pictures and artifacts from the past.

That is a fantastic idea! As much as I would hate to see the dioramas gone, it would be really cool to see a history of the castle, and perhaps photos of the real Castle (the name escapes me) in Germany that SB Castle was patterned from. Biggest Fan, you want to come work for me when I take over Eisners job? You can be head of the think tank!

merlinjones
09-12-2004, 11:36 AM
>>It would be cool if they made it a walk through history inside the castle. They could make all of the old dioramas a display case and show pictures and artifacts from the past.<<

Now that's a good idea! And restore Walt's show/design to Lincoln for the 50th instead of taking him out...

Mark Goldhaber
09-12-2004, 01:12 PM
the real Castle (the name escapes me) in Germany that SB Castle was patterned from
Neuschwanstein (http://www.neuschwanstein.com/). Mad Baron Ludwig's castle.

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 01:43 PM
That is a fantastic idea! As much as I would hate to see the dioramas gone, it would be really cool to see a history of the castle, and perhaps photos of the real Castle (the name escapes me) in Germany that SB Castle was patterned from. Biggest Fan, you want to come work for me when I take over Eisners job? You can be head of the think tank!
I would love to work for the disney company someday. I will be doing the WDW college program next year once i get into college and then i hope to find a permanent job with them once i graduate from college.

SweetAurora
09-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah, boy i feel stupid. I went and started this thread and realized after my shift last night that the window was already installed in its full glory. Oh well!

That diorama walkthrough has so much nostalgic value to me and to many others. As far as I know of (basing it on what I've heard from the Pyro team, management, etc.), they will probably never restore the diorama walkthrough to what it was due to the already aforementioned security reasons. Even so, I hope and pray for the day it does.

The dioramas are all still inside the castle in fact--they're just getting pretty run-down from the few years of non-use. In fact, a pyro technician told me that some of the figurines "didn't turn off" and that some of them are still moving.

I loved those windows on Main Street, too. The windows are still there, but feature one scene from a couple of different Disney films (as far as I can remember, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Hercules). So simple, but so neat!

....I hope Matt realizes the effect of those simple, beautiful things Disneyland has that make just that much of a difference to the Cast Members and guests.

SallySkellington
09-12-2004, 05:28 PM
In fact, a pyro technician told me that some of the figurines "didn't turn off" and that some of them are still moving.

:eek:

Is anybody else thinking "Night of the Living Dummy"?

Mark Goldhaber
09-12-2004, 05:37 PM
OOOoooooooh, I want to say something political.... But I'll be nice. :~D

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Are cast members allowed to go inside the castle walk through?

SweetAurora
09-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Are cast members allowed to go inside the castle walk through?
Probably if you're friends with the pyro technicians ;) Judging from what I've talked about with them, they're the only ones who've been in there for the last 2 years. Last time I was over there was on Grad Nite when they were setting up fireworks by the castle...I was GC in charge of the particular area over there, and I tried to charm my way in and couldn't (safety reasons, probably)...but did get a sneak peek inside the front entrance, as the door was wide open (the courtyard area was blocked off at the time.) All the lighting and the opening "scroll" that is right by the entrance was in place and working... :( It was hell not being able to walk through!

karl
09-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Here is an article done a couple years ago on the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough.

Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (click here) (http://www.mouseplanet.com/karl/sbcastle.htm)

Enjoy.

Disney Vault
09-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks for that link. It is so great to see those again.

SallySkellington
09-13-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm glad that the article says that the entrance isn't obvious. It makes me feel better about never having even heard of the walkthrough until a few months ago.

ModHatter
09-13-2004, 10:37 PM
I used to love this thing. Then again, I also swoon over Storybookland. I'm an enthusiast for miniatures, what can I say?

With all the Fantasyland rides, it seems a shame there aren't rides for Sleeping Beauty and Mary Poppins. The Castle was close enough for me, but if it stays closed forever, Aurura does need some better representation. I'd accept permanent placement in the Disney gallery, and/or her own grotto like Snow White's, on the other side of the moat. Mary Poppins could probably just float across Peter Pan's London, but Briar Rose, being the best Princess of them all, never gets the credit she deserves.

And her dress should be BLUE.