PDA

View Full Version : Mouse House boss all ears - OC Register, 9/10/04

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
09-10-2004, 10:02 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/09/10/sections/business/business/article_234447.php

QuikQuote:
Q: Your staff says your leadership style makes it appealing to work for you. How do you pull that off?

A: If I can get good people to work for me, the rest is easy. We give them a work environment where they're respected, valued and appreciated no matter what level they're at, and we give them business challenges. They're not bored. I want to create an environment with great dialogue and great trust; then we'll make the right decisions.

TP2000
09-11-2004, 12:27 AM
This was a great article, and it addressed head on many of the rumors that have been talked about on other websites (well, just one website mainly) for the past few months.

Matt Ouimet certainly has a very different style than Cynthia had. He seems to just spell it all out very honestly and bluntly, without much PR spin or fluffy psycho-babble and exlamations of "Fabulous!" that the former TDA residents used to do so well.

About the only rumor he didn't confirm was the changes to the AP prices.

BJW
09-11-2004, 02:29 AM
I'm sorry, but this article was the biggest bunch of malarky I've ever read! The things he's done during his presidency have been very detremental to the guest experience and seem to benefit CMs more than guests, although even some of those decisions have hurt CMs. Let's see: taking away SAP, closing SSL and Millionaire, making Aladdin dark 2 days, closing PPH gate to DCA, allowing CMs with little experience to work tower positions on Big Thunder, cancelling First Aid services to the handicapped, leaving DCA's hours cut after adding a major E-ticket, taking FP from PotC and Mansion when the line can get to 45 min. on crowded days, reopening the BBQ restaurant as a restaurant that serves cold food, having construction at the PPH early in the morning without informing guests at check-in (only to give guests a canned answer and $50 credit, happened to me 3 times on one trip), operating hotels at reduced capacity during peak periods, drastic price increases at food locations, raising prices of APs as test-pilot for the Smartcard program...I could go on and on but this is all I feel like typing right now.

It mentions he provided more training to CMs. No offence to the CMs that are doing their job well and providing a good guest experience (Many were very nice to us when I was there 3 weeks ago :) ), but I've never seen CM's yell at or get physical with guests before at DLR prior to Ouimet being president. In the post I made about the DCA CM throwing the softball at me and yelling at me I know he was very seriously repromanded by DLR, but still nothing like this ever happened before. The two CMs that were laughing and making fun of my grandmother's physical condition I'm sure were dealt with as well but why would they think they could do this on-stage?

As for the SAP issue, it says he sat in City Hall and listened to guest response. I highly doubt this. I remember one female CM was punched by a man and immediately arrested because he couldn't get a SAP. Too bad Ouimet wasn't in there that day. Although I don't condone the behavior of that guest, I don't believe people going into City Hall were responding well to his decision and he should have known since he claims to listen to guest responses.

Klutch
09-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Sorry, BJW, but I think you're way off here. Yeah, the people who used to abuse the SAP are angry. Everybody else is very happy with the new policy. During my last DL visit, I was in City Hall and saw a woman very upset because her husband was a quadrapelegic and every time they got in a special assistance line it was full of very healthy teen agers who had their "head of the line pass". The special assistance lines were often just as long as the regular lines, for crying out loud. Sure, people are going to get mad when tell them they can no longer abuse the system; tough.

As for the other situations you mentioned, it appears you are somewhat "new" to the Disneyland experience. A 45 minute wait for POTC or HM is traditional and should not be seen as a bad thing. I think FastPass is a good think only when used in small doses. DL was seriously overdosing on FastPass. Raising AP prices: nothing could be better for the DL. Currently, the park is used as a baby sitter for tweens and a fancy lounge for many locals. Reducing the number of APs would do much to improve the guest experience for folks who cough up full admission at the gate. Yeah, it's a bummer for young families who can currently just barely afford AP's. Then again, contrary to popular belief, AP's are not entitlements.

I dont' know about the CM issue. I would chalk up your bad experiences to bad luck with bad CM's. I don't think Ouimet had anything to do with that. I'm not a CM myself, but based on what I'm hearing, Matt is CM friendly and popular with the staff.

Cutting DCA hours and shows? What else to you do with an empty park? I wouldn't blame Ouiment if he closed DCA altogether until it was made ready to be a real Disney theme park instead of an embarrasing sink-hole for strained budgets.

I intend no offense, BJW. I just wanted to provide a different perspective. If you are a young person who know only the Pressler era, I can understand why you feel the way you do.

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 08:54 AM
I intend no offense, BJW. I just wanted to provide a different perspective. If you are a young person who know only the Pressler era, I can understand why you feel the way you do.
You answered that perfectly. I think CM Matt is doing great things and i would recommend miceage.com to BJW.

TP2000
09-11-2004, 09:51 AM
As for the SAP issue, it says he sat in City Hall and listened to guest response. I highly doubt this. I remember one female CM was punched by a man and immediately arrested because he couldn't get a SAP. Too bad Ouimet wasn't in there that day. Although I don't condone the behavior of that guest, I don't believe people going into City Hall were responding well to his decision and he should have known since he claims to listen to guest responses.

I'll just tackle this one issue, as it's the most fun.

I read that article and a little buzzer went off in my head about the part where he sat in City Hall and listened to guests complaining about not getting an SAP. This jibes perfectly with reports from CM's on other boards who said six months ago that Matt was doing exactly that, and on a regular basis. I bet he no longer does it as his gig is probably up. Obviously he didn't sit in City Hall every operating hour of every day during that period, but he was reported by CM's on other boards to be doing it regularly six months ago. And the Register said the same thing in this story.

Now what that tells me is that Matt heard the rants and raves from people who "can't rent a wheelchair" or "can't wait in line". He heard the City Hall CM's offer the alternatives that Disneyland provides; rental wheelchairs, rental ECV's, Fastpass for some attractions, etc. And he probably also heard a few threats from customers about lawyers, ADA code violations, and AP renewals that will be allowed to lapse.

And after all that, he still went forward and stuck to his guns about the new SAP policies. And to that I say.... good for him! Cynthia wouldn't have had the backbone to put up with that grouchy and angry transition period. But for the good of the park, Matt stuck with it and backed up his CM's doing the hard work. Bravo!

Disneyland seems to really have turned a corner, and things have changed for the better all over the place. This major article on the front page of the Business section was glowing in it's praise for Matt Ouimet, and I think he deserves that praise.

OCCOBRA
09-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Matt is doing a great job.

Crispy
09-11-2004, 12:15 PM
I second that. Great job Matt. Especially liked Matt's last answer.

"A year ago, I wasn't as convinced about the menu of attractions we had for the 50th, the level of (refurbishments), what we were doing for cast members. ... Now I'm totally convinced, and now we have to execute. . . So, it's 50, execute; 50, great. Then I'm on 51 and 52. What do they look like?

Nice to see that sparkle returning to the park as well as a focus on attractions! Matt seems to have the right mentality for operating the resort.

Cris

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 01:59 PM
I too loved his last answer. Can you imagine what would have been at the 50th if we would have had matt a few years earlier.

cstephens
09-11-2004, 02:07 PM
taking away SAP

He didn't take it away - it just changed. I don't necessarily agree with the program the way it's run right now, but at least he's made an effort to fix a fairly broken system.

closing SSL

Maybe it's just me, but I could swear Superstar Limo was closed way before Ouimet took over.

cancelling First Aid services to the handicapped

What exactly does this mean?

reopening the BBQ restaurant as a restaurant that serves cold food

Did you eat there? I did, and the food was really good. Granted, the options were fairly limited, but at least it's a start. Much better than just having it as an empty space.

drastic price increases at food locations

Where has this happened?

As for the SAP issue, it says he sat in City Hall and listened to guest response. I highly doubt this.

And other than your apparent psychic abilities, what makes you claim that he lied when he said that? He didn't happen to be there the day that you mention, so that means he can't possibly have been there ever?

I'm not a cheerleader for Ouimet as I don't know enough about him or what he's done, but from what I've heard from others who have spent some time with him, and from the one time I've heard him personally speak (not counting at large events), I've been impressed with his outlook and commitment and feeling for the resort. I also understand that he has a difficult job, and there's no quick and easy way to fix everything that needs to be fixed. But he sure seems determined to try.

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Maybe he just got Matt Confused with Eisner.

GrumpyUTboi
09-11-2004, 06:57 PM
As a businessman I read BJW's comments and realized that CM Matt is a businessman trying to make as much money as he can for the company and for the share holders. Also treating the CM's with respect is something that has not happened for quite some time. In theory having happy employees tranlates to happier guests. It may take some time for the employees to believe what Matt is saying, but I believe that in the long run things will be much better.

Am I happy to spend $3000 of my hard earned money on a resort that is doing a lot of refurbs? No not really, but it is the magic of being there. And you know I am on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year except for the week that I am at DL. This is part of the magic for me. 43 days and I can not wait!

BJW
09-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Sorry, BJW, but I think you're way off here. Yeah, the people who used to abuse the SAP are angry. Everybody else is very happy with the new policy. During my last DL visit, I was in City Hall and saw a woman very upset because her husband was a quadrapelegic and every time they got in a special assistance line it was full of very healthy teen agers who had their "head of the line pass". The special assistance lines were often just as long as the regular lines, for crying out loud. Sure, people are going to get mad when tell them they can no longer abuse the system; tough.I was one of the people who complained because there were times my grandmother (missing a kneecap) and aunt (only half a lung left) were having to skip rides because the SAP lines were jammed with teenagers who looked healthy but had a SAP. I even had a private conference (offstage) with the head lead of Fantasyland and she told me Ouimet was looking into the problem. I had confidence that he would try to find an amicable solution, not bury the program altogether. Now, my grandmother and aunt can't even get a SAP. I just have to plan to take them on uncrowded days because they can't walk. Matt also cancelled all of the First Aid priviledges to the handicapped. They used to allow my grandmother and aunt to lay down on a bed in First Aid while I go ride some rides. Then, they would take them back to the hotel in a security van. We were very rudely thrown out of First Aid when the SAP policy changed and the nurse raised her voice and said, "We don't do that anymore, get out of here!" This was a drastic difference from the way we used to be treated. We were not abusers of the system. My aunt and grandmother (one in her 70s, the other in her 80s) both felt very priviledged to be able to do something not many people in their age group get to experience and now they are being treated very cold by Disneyland's staff.

As for the other situations you mentioned, it appears you are somewhat "new" to the Disneyland experience.Actually, I have been going to Disneyland for 26 years and have had many friends and relatives who have been Cast Members.
A 45 minute wait for POTC or HM is traditional and should not be seen as a bad thing. I think FastPass is a good think only when used in small doses. DL was seriously overdosing on FastPass.On the contrary, FP for the other rides will run out much faster now that more rides are losing it. A 45 min. wait is long enough to justify using FP. As long as FPs were connected on the system I cannot see how they could be abused. It now makes it more confusing for out-of-towners when not as many attractions have it.

Raising AP prices: nothing could be better for the DL. Currently, the park is used as a baby sitter for tweens and a fancy lounge for many locals. Reducing the number of APs would do much to improve the guest experience for folks who cough up full admission at the gate. Yeah, it's a bummer for young families who can currently just barely afford AP's. Then again, contrary to popular belief, AP's are not entitlements. Evey theme park in California has this problem. The purpose is to get more people in the park. Many APs, such as myself, spend nearly $5,000 per year on hotel rooms and probably equally as much on food. Some gratitude they show us. Also, I don't see how this hurts the day guest experience. As long as the operating hours are long enough for people to see everything and FP is working on all of the rides there shouldn't be much of a problem. We heard months ago that they were running tests on the Smartcard system, which could replace APs and passports in the next few years. I believe this is the real reason they are raising AP prices and eventually phasing APs out. The greedy Smartcard system will then require everyone to blow at least $60 or so per day.

I dont' know about the CM issue. I would chalk up your bad experiences to bad luck with bad CM's. I don't think Ouimet had anything to do with that. I'm not a CM myself, but based on what I'm hearing, Matt is CM friendly and popular with the staff. While not directly responsible for this it is obvious there has been a change in morale and attitude of CMs toward the handicapped and APs. I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this. I know I'm not allowed to say the name of the website on here but there is a website where CMs go to vent about their daily experiences with guests and you can see this in a lot of their posts on there.

Cutting DCA hours and shows? What else to you do with an empty park? I wouldn't blame Ouiment if he closed DCA altogether until it was made ready to be a real Disney theme park instead of an embarrasing sink-hole for strained budgets.Nothing he is doing is encouraging people to visit DCA. Longer hours would encourage more visitors. More attractions (he just cut 2) would encourage more visitors. Having a gate at the PPH would encourage more visitors. If he kept up the discounts and CM sign-ins at DCA it would encourage more visitors. There are a lot of places where he's missing the boat. He's counting on ToT to make up for the lack of what he's taken away from the park, and I doubt that will work. ToT is a thrill ride and the thrill ride demographic only represents a small portion of the DLR visitor. SSL, Millionaire, and Aladdin have no height requirement.

BJW
09-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Also treating the CM's with respect is something that has not happened for quite some time. In theory having happy employees tranlates to happier guests. It may take some time for the employees to believe what Matt is saying, but I believe that in the long run things will be much better.

Last I checked, the security and hotel CMs were both on the verge of walking out on the company. Also, some in-park CMs have been laid off for no reason due to "drop in attendance." The thing about these layoffs was posted on the site I mentioned in my previous post where the CMs go to vent.

leota's necklace
09-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Matt also cancelled all of the First Aid priviledges to the handicapped. They used to allow my grandmother and aunt to lay down on a bed in First Aid while I go ride some rides. Then, they would take them back to the hotel in a security van...(snip) My aunt and grandmother (one in her 70s, the other in her 80s) both felt very priviledged to be able to do something not many people in their age group get to experience and now they are being treated very cold by Disneyland's staff.

Forgive me, I really don't mean to be rude, but that is not First Aid.

First Aid is meant to be a one-time emergency treatment on-site, at the time an injury occurs, before the patient is able to see a doctor.

Your relatives were receiving naptime and taxi service.

If your relatives need to lie down to recover from their time in the Park, they're not strong enough or healthy enough to spend that amount of time in the Park. If they're unable to transport themselves from the Park to their hotel after their visit, they're not strong enough or healthy enough to attend the Park.

I don't mean to sound cold. Please understand that, before he died, my father suffered from COPD and emphyzema. We had to make lifestyle changes to accomodate his reduced lung capacity and stamina. Had we been frequent vistors to the Park at that time, these would have included 1)ensuring we found a locker to hold his nebulizer and medications; 2) planning our visits for cool, uncrowded days; 3) keeping our visit short and tailored to his abilities; 4) scouting the Park beforehand to find a shady place he could rest and take a nebulizer treatment, if necessary; and 5) arranging for his transportation to and from the Park. And if he didn't feel strong enough to stay, I sure wouldn't have gone and ridden some rides while he recovered, I would have driven him home myself and made sure he was okay.

It's reasonable to tailor your visits to the Park to suit your own abilities. It seems extreme to me to expect the Park to tailor itself to you, especially considering that there are millions of other visitors besides you. First Aid is intended for emergency situations, care before the patient can reach the hospital or a doctor's care. I know I feel better knowing that those services are reserved for true emergencies rather than care of symptoms of chronic conditions.

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Nothing he is doing is encouraging people to visit DCA. Longer hours would encourage more visitors. More attractions (he just cut 2) would encourage more visitors. Having a gate at the PPH would encourage more visitors. If he kept up the discounts and CM sign-ins at DCA it would encourage more visitors. There are a lot of places where he's missing the boat. He's counting on ToT to make up for the lack of what he's taken away from the park, and I doubt that will work. ToT is a thrill ride and the thrill ride demographic only represents a small portion of the DLR visitor. SSL, Millionaire, and Aladdin have no height requirement.
Actually Matt wasnt the one who thought ToT would solve the problems of DCA. The old managment thought this way and CM Matt has said he wants to build a ride for the whole family that soaks up lots of people like PotC.

Mark Goldhaber
09-11-2004, 10:02 PM
[thread drift]By the way, am I the only one who thinks that CM Matt looks a bit like Frank Langella (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0122718/Ss/0122718/small4.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Langella,%20Frank)?[/thread drift]

cstephens
09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
I think I'm being ignored...

BJW
09-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Forgive me, I really don't mean to be rude, but that is not First Aid.

First Aid is meant to be a one-time emergency treatment on-site, at the time an injury occurs, before the patient is able to see a doctor.

Your relatives were receiving naptime and taxi service.

Yes, that is First Aid. First Aid offices will always allow someone to lay down if they are not feeling well. DL had always offered this as a courtesy to us while I go do other things. This does not mean they are not able to handle it. They can both ride ToT at DCA among other rides. They, however, cannot stand in one hour lines like everyone else can. It was not a naptime or taxi service, we were not looking for a handout. They usually offered these things without us asking. Yes, there are emergencies but many times they are doing nothing at the First Aid station. Even when something is happening they would allow you to wait until they finally got some free time. First Aid does not always They even offer services where diabetics can store their insulin shots, etc. I suppose shouting at guests is part of First Aid, huh?

There is nothing wrong with this park offering special services to the disabled. They are people who normally don't get to do things like this and I'm all for it. If Pressler had pulled the plug on these services you would all be agreeing with me. Since its the beloved cast member matt it's different.

Aurora
09-12-2004, 01:54 AM
While not directly responsible for this it is obvious there has been a change in morale and attitude of CMs toward the handicapped and APs. I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this. I know I'm not allowed to say the name of the website on here but there is a website where CMs go to vent about their daily experiences with guests and you can see this in a lot of their posts on there.

CMs are human beings. They have bad days and need to vent. If they feel like complaining/venting on their own time, and in their own home, they have everyright to.

Darkbeer
09-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Here are a couple of unique photos of Matt (click on the More Photos for the second)...

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/09/11/sections/business/oc_region/article_235808.php

Disney Vault
09-12-2004, 09:38 AM
[thread drift]By the way, am I the only one who thinks that CM Matt looks a bit like Frank Langella (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0122718/Ss/0122718/small4.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Langella,%20Frank)?[/thread drift]
He really does. That is crazy to see.

SarahShep
09-12-2004, 10:38 AM
They even offer services where diabetics can store their insulin shots, etc.

My grandmother was a diabetic and we went to DL many times with her. She also had a hip replacement that made it difficult to walk. We made sure to stay at a hotel close to the park (good neighbor hotels, mind you, although they weren't called that back in the day) and we would take advantage of the tram services that were available to all guests. She would return to the hotel when it was necessary to take her insulin shots. We never once used the first aid station. The only thing we ever did was rent a wheelchair for her, but we did not once get a pass to move to the front of the line.

My grandfather had trouble with blood clots in his legs and diabetes, also making it difficult to walk. On his last trip to DL, one year before his death (blood clot related), he rode EVERY ride and walked the entire time. We took all considerations to ensure that he would be fine, without the assistance of the resort or any of the CMs.

It is up to you to make sure that you can enjoy your trip to DL to the fullest. It is not fair to lay that responsibility on someone else.

cstephens
09-12-2004, 11:28 AM
They, however, cannot stand in one hour lines like everyone else can. ... If Pressler had pulled the plug on these services you would all be agreeing with me.

You might be careful with that broad brush you're flailing around. There are a number of people on these boards who also can't "stand in one hour lines like everyone else can". While your family's situation is unfortunate, it is by no means unique, and there are those who are having to make the same accommodations in their park visits as your family. And there are many, many of us who have never blindly jumped on the Pressler-bashing bandwagon and who have not jumped on the Ouimet-worshipping bandwagon either. Though you apparently don't seem to believe it, there are those of us who are capable of having an opinion on a particular action without it being clouded by considerations of the person implementing the action.

As for the behaviour of the CM at First Aid, presuming that happened, I agree that it was unacceptable, regardless of extenuating circumstances. Did you put in a complaint to City Hall? Or do you figure Ouimet is supposed to be omniscient?

And are you still blaming Ouimet for the closing of Superstar Limo?

leota's necklace
09-12-2004, 11:31 AM
I suppose shouting at guests is part of First Aid, huh?

There is nothing wrong with this park offering special services to the disabled. They are people who normally don't get to do things like this and I'm all for it. If Pressler had pulled the plug on these services you would all be agreeing with me. Since its the beloved cast member matt it's different.

Now, the shouting, of course, is not a good thing, and I'm sorry it happened to you. But frankly, from your posts, you seem to have the attitude that, even though these were special services, above and beyond the call, you had come to expect them, and are now outraged when they are no longer offered.

Being faced with that, I imagine the most magic-filled CM might be tempted to vent a little. I'm not saying it's right...I'm just saying I can understand it.