PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa Rewards in the Park

Pages : [1] 2

Mermaid
09-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Has anyone used their rewards card in the park? I am hoping to use mine at Blue Bayou and other resturants and wanted to make sure I could. The Visa brochure is very vague. Thanks!!

Gandkp
09-10-2004, 09:27 PM
I used mine at the Blue Bayou earlier this year, no problems. In fact I used it all over the park with no problems. Had 1 new CM who didn't know what it was, but other than that it worked fine.......

iowa2disney
09-20-2004, 09:16 AM
I had these same questions before we left for our Disneyland trip becuase the Visa brochures were very vague. I had lots of Rewards dollars to use, but wasn't sure where I could use them. We just got back from our trip (9/12-9/16) and we were able to use them all.

They can be used at all Disney locations, such as all food and souvenir shops in Disneyland, California Adventure, and at the hotels of Disneyland Resort.

They cannot be used at some places in Downtown Disney, such as ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe, House of Blues, etc.

The only (small) problem I had was when towards the end of our trip I was trying to buy something that cost more than the amount of my Rewards card. For example, I had about $20 left in Rewards dollars, but I couldn't use it towards a $30 purchase at Engin-Ears. But, I think this depends on the CM ringing up the purchase because the nice lady at Main Street Photo was able to first swipe my Rewards card to determine how much I had left and then she charged that amount to my Rewards card and we paid the difference in cash.

Hope this helps you!

D-lander 1956
09-20-2004, 09:26 AM
I keep getting the offers in the mail for the Disney rewards card. The brochure IS very vague about the program. I am trying to decide if you can really earn enough rewards to make it worth my while. Frequent flyer cards have to accumulate so many points to receive anything. Can anyone tell me how many rewards you actually receive for every $1 purchases??

iowa2disney
09-20-2004, 09:45 AM
You get one Reward dollar for each $100 you spend. They do round your charges up, however, so if you spend $652, you get 7 Rewards dollars. I've had my card for about 18 months, I think, and I had accumulated $165 in Reward dollars. What I did was put all of my groceries and other regular expenses on the card instead of writing checks. I then wrote one check each month, paying of the balance so as not to accrue interest.

Also, my mom got her own card and had racked up $35 on a Rewards card, which she then gave us to spend at Disneyland.

We used some of it on food, the rest on souvenirs. I admit, it was sometimes difficult to face a $500 credit card bill, but expenses are expenses, whether you're paying them with 5 separate checks or one. And it was sure fun to spend that "free" money!

Klutch
09-20-2004, 09:53 AM
I have a Disney VISA and can't make much sense of the Rewards Program. I just charged a WDW trip on the card for several thousand dollars. I will pay it off this month. Will VISA send me a rewards card, or do I have to request it? If I get it time for my WDW trip, can I spend it at the parks like money?

Thanks.

napabeth
09-20-2004, 09:53 AM
I just got my card about 2 months ago and already have about $20 in rewards. I'm doing the same thing - putting everything on the card and paying the balance each month. All groceries, fuel, Home Depot stuff - all the stuff I usually pay cash for, I put the cash aside and charge it. If you are able to have control, and not spend the cash this works out great. If not, I wouldn't suggest it - card has a HIGH interest rate, so you don't want to carry a balance.

Oh, the other bonus is if you charge your Disney vacation, it will be interest free for 6 months. That was incentive to get the card also.

sierranevada
09-20-2004, 10:34 AM
I have a Disney VISA and can't make much sense of the Rewards Program. I just charged a WDW trip on the card for several thousand dollars. I will pay it off this month. Will VISA send me a rewards card, or do I have to request it? If I get it time for my WDW trip, can I spend it at the parks like money?

Thanks.

You do have to request the rewards card - it is not sent automatically. And yes, if you get it in time you can spend it like money at the parks. I have to save, I have had mine for about a year and literally charge everything on it and have been lucky enough to have accumulated close to $700 in rewards!!! If you keep using it, it really does add up.

sierranevada
09-20-2004, 10:36 AM
I just got my card about 2 months ago and already have about $20 in rewards. I'm doing the same thing - putting everything on the card and paying the balance each month. All groceries, fuel, Home Depot stuff - all the stuff I usually pay cash for, I put the cash aside and charge it. If you are able to have control, and not spend the cash this works out great. If not, I wouldn't suggest it - card has a HIGH interest rate, so you don't want to carry a balance.

Oh, the other bonus is if you charge your Disney vacation, it will be interest free for 6 months. That was incentive to get the card also.

Great financial advice - it is how I do it. I don't even carry checks anymore - everything is charged and then I just write one check a month.

experiment626
09-20-2004, 11:09 AM
I too charge everything and pay it off each month. It is a great way to earn "free" Disney Money.

I will use the reward during our July 17th trip.

Christiii
09-20-2004, 11:31 AM
WOW!! thanks guys!! I didnt even think about this and have just been using my card...so I just called them and I have $145 in disney rewards, so they are sending my card..I hope to be at mouseadventure in a couple of weeks..so this will come in handy! sheesh..I never would have paid attention to anything they send....muchas gracias!!! :D

Christiii
09-20-2004, 11:33 AM
$700???? wow that is $70k in charges..you sure do use your card alot..and I thought I did :fez:

sierranevada
09-20-2004, 11:56 AM
$700???? wow that is $70k in charges..you sure do use your card alot..and I thought I did :fez:

Yes we do!! And we travel alot so when we travel, I book it on our card and have everyone pay me back!! Works great!!

Christiii
09-20-2004, 12:20 PM
smart idea!! Ive never done a rewards type thing, and didnt think they really amounted to much..but this is kewl!! Ive put some of my business stuff on this card...now I know I have to do more!! :D

tinksmom
09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
There are much better credit card rewards deals available.

For example, Starwoods Preferred Guest (Westin/Sheraton) American Express has a rewards deal that allows you to accumulate points toward free hotel stays.

Figuring the cost of an "average" stay in a Sheraton or Westin, this comes back to 3-5% compared to 1% for the Disney card.

Christiii
09-20-2004, 01:23 PM
true..but i dont stay at those hotels and I go to disneyland a LOT...with this and my ap discount it really helps!! :D

DefyingGravity
09-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Could someone clue me in on how this card works? I mean, i get the reward stuff, but what is the downside to having this card as opposed to a regular credit card? I'm only 15, so I don't have a credit card yet, but eventually, when I do, I may be interested in getting this. Thanks!

D-lander 1956
09-20-2004, 06:22 PM
You get one Reward dollar for each $100 you spend. They do round your charges up, however, so if you spend $652, you get 7 Rewards dollars. I've had my card for about 18 months, I think, and I had accumulated $165 in Reward dollars. What I did was put all of my groceries and other regular expenses on the card instead of writing checks. I then wrote one check each month, paying of the balance so as not to accrue interest.

Also, my mom got her own card and had racked up $35 on a Rewards card, which she then gave us to spend at Disneyland.

We used some of it on food, the rest on souvenirs. I admit, it was sometimes difficult to face a $500 credit card bill, but expenses are expenses, whether you're paying them with 5 separate checks or one. And it was sure fun to spend that "free" money!
Thanks, Iowa2 disney! That explains it for me. We do the same as far as charging everything and paying off at the end of the month, but we use American Airlines card. My hubby and I accumulated 2 free airfares and are using them to go to WDW in October. Works for us!

kisroo
09-20-2004, 07:35 PM
We had $75 on a rewards card for our June trip this yr. We used it to pay for a wonderful splurge at Goofys~no problem paying with it. Cast member knew exactly what to do.

You get double pts right now if you've charged $250+ in a billing month (has been running from July to end of Sept according to my statement). Nice way to add a little extra. But the %rate is horrible, so we pay it off every month too.

This card combined with our Alaska Air visa card makes it easier for this NW couple make it down to DLR at least 1x/yr! Gotta love that! :cool:

~kisroo :)

experiment626
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
We had $75 on a rewards card for our June trip this yr. We used it to pay for a wonderful splurge at Goofys~no problem paying with it. Cast member knew exactly what to do.

You get double pts right now if you've charged $250+ in a billing month (has been running from July to end of Sept according to my statement)

This offer varies by cardholder, based on what you "normally" spend (my guess they doubled it). I have to charge over $2300 to START getting double rewards.

Klutch
09-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Hey, I didn't get double anything. I charged $4,400 and got 44 Reward dollars. I guess it does vary by person. :mad:

Mermaid
09-21-2004, 07:21 PM
I didn't get double anything either :(

kisroo
09-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Gawrsh guys...sorry about the "no double disney dollars" deal. That's a bummer! You'd think they'd offer similar promotions to everyone.

Wonder if it was a "Day One" member offer? Yes, I was one of the disney:geek:s who got this card as soon as it was offered just so it said that. :fez:
~kisroo:)

sierranevada
09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Gawrsh guys...sorry about the "no double disney dollars" deal. That's a bummer! You'd think they'd offer similar promotions to everyone.

Wonder if it was a "Day One" member offer? Yes, I was one of the disney:geek:s who got this card as soon as it was offered just so it said that. :fez:
~kisroo:)

I'm a charter member too and no double dollars! The only thing I saw about it was:
"Just spend over $1,000 or more with your Disney's Visa® Card on the spending categories listed below in any calendar month from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.1 Once you reach $1,000 in a calendar month, you’ll earn 2% in Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM for every additional dollar you spend over on:

Everyday purchases: groceries, drugstores, gas, dining, dry cleaning
Monthly expenses: utilities, cell phone, home improvements
Entertainment: movies/refreshments, video rentals"

Wonder if they are trying a regional approach to test market the idea?

experiment626
09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm a charter member too and no double dollars! The only thing I saw about it was:
"Just spend over $1,000 or more with your Disney's Visa® Card on the spending categories listed below in any calendar month from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.1 Once you reach $1,000 in a calendar month, you’ll earn 2% in Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM for every additional dollar you spend over on:

Everyday purchases: groceries, drugstores, gas, dining, dry cleaning
Monthly expenses: utilities, cell phone, home improvements
Entertainment: movies/refreshments, video rentals"

Wonder if they are trying a regional approach to test market the idea?
This is the only one I know about that is currently running. Though there are some that have said they do not have limits and others who have very low or very high limits.

While the double would be nice, not having it won't stop me from using it.