PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight CD

Morrigoon
11-19-2001, 06:44 PM
I don't know if this has been out in previous years and I've just missed it, but when I was at DL on Sunday, I picked up the Candlelight Procession CD. It's the Epcot version (far be it from me to expect merchandise for Disneyland, but beggars can't be choosers I guess). Still, it's nice that they put that out on CD, with narration and all.

JeffG
11-20-2001, 04:57 PM
It has been out for quite a while (this is actually a second edition of it), but previously they only sold it at Epcot. I bought the original version of it about 4 years ago, I think. It is nice to see them finally offering it at Disneyland as well, although it would be nicer if they would do a recording of the DL version, which is pretty significantly different.

The original release featured Lou Gossett Jr. as the narrator and the current one features Phylicia Rashad.

-Jeff

Morrigoon
11-20-2001, 10:24 PM
I wasn't too impressed with her reading actually. The intimacy of studio recording discouraged the usual vocal projection that readers do onstage. It always sounds more impressive that way IMHO.

You know what they *ought* to do, which would be really cool-

They should film the Candlelight procession/ceremony at DL on the nights they do it, then broadcast it on ABC as part of their Yule Log program on Christmas itself.

Chelsie
11-21-2001, 06:50 AM
Didn't the Disney Channel air a version of the Candlelight Procession/Ceremony with Howard Keel as the guest narrator? I vaguely remember that it was filmed at Disneyland. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

innerSpaceman
11-21-2001, 01:41 PM
Now that it's gone forever, I would die for a video of the Candlelight Procession in Town Square. Chelsie, do you remember what year Howard Keel narrated? How did I miss that one? Must have gone the other night that year. Oh well, can't be too choosey.

Dlandmom
11-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I wasn't too impressed with her reading actually. The intimacy of studio recording discouraged the usual vocal projection that readers do onstage. It always sounds more impressive that way IMHO.

You know what they *ought* to do, which would be really cool-

They should film the Candlelight procession/ceremony at DL on the nights they do it, then broadcast it on ABC as part of their Yule Log program on Christmas itself.

Add it to the "zoo" thread!;)

Morrigoon
11-21-2001, 05:47 PM
Why, didn't I post enough on that one? ;)

Chelsie
11-22-2001, 05:23 PM
Now that it's gone forever, I would die for a video of the Candlelight Procession in Town Square. Chelsie, do you remember what year Howard Keel narrated? How did I miss that one? Must have gone the other night that year. Oh well, can't be too choosey.

innerSpaceman, although I couldn't find a tape of the specific (perhaps all in my head) Howard Keel Candlelight Procession, I did find that in the Disneyland Holidays 1962 show, there are about 10 minutes dedicated to the procession coming down Main Street and being performed in front of the train station. There were no bell ringers, the Dickens Carolers were above City Hall, and you can vaguely see someone up front with the choirs quickly studying a note in his hand. It very possibly could have been Walt.