PDA

View Full Version : 3rd park

Disney Vault
09-09-2004, 04:42 PM
I know this has been discussed many times but i really enjoyed this article http://disneyforever.com/columns/presentandfuture/article_08.htm
And it got me thinking, what type of park would you want built? Something completly original (no westcot or disney sea).

Andrew
09-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Westcot would have been (mostly) original. DisneySea is completely original.

Disney could do a lot worse than to bring DisneySea here.

Disney Vault
09-09-2004, 06:13 PM
I would love to have a disney sea but it is no longer original and one of a kind because there already is one. And i think westcot would be any awful idea because it would be a scaled back version of epcot. And i really dont want a water park because that land in just too valuable to be, imo, wasted.

Disney Vault
09-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on the article? Have they ever had an article about a 3rd park at mice age? I am sure they would do a great job covering it.

ModHatter
09-14-2004, 11:47 PM
I think this article made an excellent point. Let's pretend we are back on the Disney ticket system. How does DCA stack up to DL in terms of ACTUAL E, D, and C tickets? The price should be set accordingly, and we could essentially leave DCA alone for now. (I do disagree about the water park idea. Do like PPH and expand the resort pool features. Then, once we have a thrid gate, expand DCA to have more flume rides, etc.)

DisneySea sounds fun, but better suited to Orlando's space. WestCOT should be incorporated into future DCA and TL attractions.

One concept I would like to see materialize is Disney's America. Mr. Lincoln can have his new home. Anaheim can get its own Liberty Square, as WD originally intended. It could incorporate a concept of Disney's Americana, including a section of the park devoted to Yesterland. Googie architecture, Flying Saucers, Circlevision... A premiere El Capitan-style theater that shows Disney classics. Maybe a devoted theater to Fantasmic like at MGM... Less edumucational, more infotaining.

DBJ
09-15-2004, 06:49 AM
What I found interesting was the concept of adding a waterpark to DCA itself in the Timon parking lot. I suppose it would be similar to how some regional theme parks offer the two for one combo, Holiday World being a good example of how that system works. I wouldn't mind that, as long as Disney pushed the edge a bit for the attraction selection for the waterpark addition and themed it out beyond even Blizzard Beach. The initial investment would be far less to add a waterpark expansion..for example, some Texas waterparks have initial budgets of 35 million or less, that's an entire park for about the same cost as Winnie The Pooh! And, a waterpark addition to DCA adds the watersports at the beach element that is missing from a true "californian adventure."

jrad32
09-15-2004, 07:16 AM
I'm not a fan of a waterpark. There are plenty of those around already. I would like to see DCA expanded into the Timon lot with some new E Tickets.

While I'd love to see a Disney Seas-type park here, I think that I'd rather see them concentrate of Disneyland and DCA, in that order first.

Before we talk about a third park they need to get the two parks we have up to specs. Tommorrowland remains a disgrace and Buzz Lightyear is not the silver bullet for the problems there. DCA needs a lot of help including an immersive E ticket in the Pirates or Mansion vein that the whole family can ride.

sediment
09-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Whatever is built should be built with keeping guests from wandering off property to other local amusement parks so much. A whole day's worth of a park. That is the reason for WDW's success (as well as the Cruise ships). So, it needs to be compelling enough to draw visitors who stay at Disney hotels and eat at Disney restaurants.
As we can see, DCA didn't really do that. It's growing on people, but that's a result of 3.5 years of lowered expectations.
Most everything would be worse than a DisneySea park. Built inland, though? I don't know if it would be as spectacular.

I don't think a water park will cut it. A zoo-type park? A built-out Western River Expedition?

dlandnut
09-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Water parks are a dime a dozen. I realize that if a water park were to be built by Disney, it would be "bigger" and "grander" than most. But how about something different??? An ampitheater for great entertainment, a western-themed, gold rush/logging town, with some fun "E" Ticket attractions? A "futureworld" with current techno-savy innovative attractions. Maybe a water park doesn't appeal to me because I have lousy skin that burns and freckles, and I'm 20 pounds overweight, lol!!! :)

napabeth
09-15-2004, 09:14 AM
How about something opposite of the future. There's already tomorrowland, and Epcot has alot to do with the future. You could have . . . um . . .what's a good name. . . . you know . . . like history-land - help me here, I'm struggling for a name.

So you could have kings and queens and castles. Disney has plenty to use for that area. This would encompass the "civilized" countries. Pretty much Europe.

Then you could have the oceans and themed stuff involved with exploration of unknown lands of the time - South America, Caribbean, North America, India, Africa, etc. Have both good guys (the explorers) and bad guys (the pirates). Have lots of water areas with port towns and ships. Have "trading" posts.

Then have science and astronomy land - or something like that - use DaVinci
and Galleleo (spelling?)

Heck, then you could pass through a entry (Like what divides future world and world showcase in Epcot) and pass into ancient - land (ok, need a better name again.)

Here you go back in time - first with the Romans, then Greeks and Egyptions then finally you get to the dinasoars. Or something like that.

Anyways, there's my idea - kinda rough, but hopefully you get the idea.

dlandnut
09-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Sounds great. I like the idea! Historyland has a ring to it. :)

AliciasMom
09-15-2004, 09:29 AM
I hope they don't built a waterpark. After being a lifeguard at a waterpark I will never be guest at one again. If I had a choice I wouldn't let my daughter go to one but I'm not going to be that overprotective.

disneyperson
09-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Sounds great. I like the idea! Historyland has a ring to it. :)
I agree that this would be a good idea. I too am not a big fan of water parks, and even in So Cal a water park would not be a reasonanle year round attraction. A park that takes you back in time with the sort of beautiful details that I've seen in the photos of Disney Sea could be quite successful.

DBJ
09-15-2004, 10:00 AM
As far as the waterpark issue, consider is WDW a stronger tourist attraction with or without them? I would argue that WDW's waterparks are an integral part of of WDW's appeal in offering different adventures for different consumers all in the same location.

ModHatter
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Honestly... most of the Disney resorts have a pool. When I've been at WDW, no matter how hot it was, I never felt compelled to pay extra money to do what I would basically be doing at the resort pool. Now, I realize I'm not the target market for such a place, but still... I think the land would be better used to bring more boat and flume water rides to DCA, not as a stnad-alone water park.

Meanwhile, the Historyland concept has legs. But the name... sounds a bit edumucational again. Even Yesterland could be a bit of a bummer if you aren't square on the concept, though it still gets my vote. Then again, I still like DCA as a CONCEPT, even though the execution tanked.

Disney's America was shot down by naysayers, even though it was really a good concept... Maybe they could expand an existing DL concept... Park 3 could be Storybookland. Greek and Roman mythology themed areas, hosted by Hercules. African storytelling, hosted by Simba. Asian legends, featuring MuLan... A World Showcase concept without all the historical accuracy concerns.

Disney Vault
09-15-2004, 02:38 PM
I would want a _____ Kingdom. I like the sound of magic and animal kingdom and i thing the DLR could use one. A theme for the Kingdom is what i am still trying to think of. :confused:

ModHatter
09-15-2004, 02:46 PM
See, I'm not a fan of the Kingdom thing. Animal Kingdom was clever because it was an existing idea that played on the name Magic Kingdom. Personally, I'd rather see a new ____land. The only trouble with that is that within Dland you have the four original ____lands, and another ____land might seem more like a piece of Disneyland that couldn't fit within the berm, instead of an entirely different 3rd park.

Maybe this is already taken, but maybe a 3rd gate could be ImagiNation.

Disney Vault
09-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Maybe this is already taken, but maybe a 3rd gate could be ImagiNation.
That has a great ring to it.