PDA

View Full Version : 5 Day Park Hopper Pass or AP?

napabeth
09-08-2004, 11:58 AM
For our one week vacation at DL in October I ordered 5 day park hopper tickets (two adults only). I'm wondering if anyone knows how much more it would be to upgrade to AP's and if it would be worth it? Then I thought I could only upgrade one to an AP to get discounts, but I don't know what discounts an AP gives you.

Help me someone, I'm really confused . . . . :confused:

stan4d_steph
09-08-2004, 12:13 PM
You might consider upgrading to an AP at the end of your stay depending on when you'll be there and if you will be returning within a year. The lower priced APs have blackout days that might apply during your stay that would limit you should you choose to upgrade them.

Bill Catherall
09-08-2004, 12:19 PM
The price to upgrade would be the difference in price. I don't know how much you paid for the 5 Day Hoppers, so I'll just assume you paid the full price of $184. (You can adjust the numbers if I'm off.) If that's the case then it would cost $95 to upgrade to the $279 Premium Annual Pass. The Deluxe Annual Pass costs $179 and you can't "downgrade," you have to "upgrade." On the other hand, if you paid the advance purchase price of $129 for the 5 Day Hoppers then it would cost $50 to upgrade to the DAP or $150 to upgrade to the PAP.

You can see all the discounts and benefits available to APs here (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/annualPassholder/index?id=AnnualPassholderUngatedContentPage).

Susan L
09-08-2004, 01:24 PM
If you are only going once a year or less often then that I would stick with the hopper tickets. If you were going more then once a year then an AP would be the way to go.

Leap for Joy
09-08-2004, 09:16 PM
If you only visit once per year, I would still recommend that you upgrade to a deluxe and plan next year's trip before the expiration date. Assuming that you go from the advance hopper price of $129, the $50 to upgrade is a great deal. If blackout days fall during your trip this time, simply wait until the last day of your vacation to process the upgrade.

disney_leonard
09-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Since the Deluxe AP has no blockout dates in Oct., it could be a good investment. Visit again in the next 11 months and that could be a freebie.

sdfilmcritic
09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
AP, definitely. AP would be the best. Ya, definitely AP. (Wapner at 6 o'clock. Can't miss Wapner, definitely.)

napabeth
09-09-2004, 07:58 AM
If I get an AP I'd be sure to plan another trip within the year.

How do I know what restaurants give the AP discounts? Are there many locations or just a few? And it looks like with only the premium AP you get merchandise discounts also - I like that - so I'm a girl, I shop. But at what locations?

Thanks everyone for your help!

disney_leonard
09-09-2004, 08:15 AM
If you want the shopping discount which is 10% at all theme park and hotel shops, you have to go for the Premium AP. With the PAP you can get discounts at nearly all of the food establishments in the parks (except carts). At the Blue Bayou and Carnation Cafe in DL it's 15%. At DCA Ariels Grotto and the Vineyard ZRoom are 15%. Most of the others get you 10%. Then there are the hotels where you can save off the rack rates for rooms and 10% off food. The complete list is too long to post and you need to be registered as a AP holder to access the web page with the info. I can e-mail it to you though.

napabeth
09-09-2004, 08:22 AM
PAP is sounding better and better. Thank you Leonard. E-mail address is eschutz13 (at) hotmail.com.

Thank you sooooooo much!

sami869
09-09-2004, 09:18 AM
http://www.mousesavers.com/dlmeals.html#annual That should help explain the discounts.

Darkbeer
09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Here is an option to think about, you said 2 adults...

So long as there are no blackout days during your visit, have one get the Premium, and the second person get a SoCal or Deluxe.

Also, if you do buy a Premium, or a Parking Pass for the others, make sure and bring in your parking receipt, you will get a $9 credit for that days parking..

napabeth
09-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Darkbeer, your thinking like me. I was thinking of upgrading only one to a premium AP and actually leaving the other as a 5 day parkhopper. Then we come back next year, it will probably be in the summer, and a weekend will be involved - meaning blockout dates. So . . . . I use the AP to get a discounted hopper pass and discounted hotel (hopefully). I think that is our best bet.

And this October we'll be staying at the GCF - so the parking isn't an issue

sjcivilady
09-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Just wondering - if you have a parking pass or PAP - do you still have to pay the hotel parking fees when you stay at one of the Disney hotels?

napabeth
09-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I know when I booked my trip - I did the package deal (crap, can't remember what it's called . . . um . . . something magic I think) Anyways, they said parking in the standard hotel lot was included.

disney_leonard
09-09-2004, 11:56 AM
From Expedia re: Grand Californian Hotel:

The hotel charges an additional daily resort fee, due upon check-out, which covers self-parking, access to the fitness center, local and toll-free (1-800) phone calls, and weekday newspaper delivery.

So, they don't charge a parking fee. They charge a resort fee. I don't know how much it is.

disneyperson
09-09-2004, 11:59 AM
whoa, the DLR hotels charge those prices and you still have to pay extra to park? edit: never mind, the answer just popped up. Resort fee huh, sneaky.

downtownamybrown
09-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I purchased the AP pass for the extra $50 so I could save $100 per night on a suite at the PPH. A little bonus will be to tell my husband next year, but I still have the annual pass. Let's go back and take advantage of it before it expires. :D