PDA

View Full Version : What would ruin your DL vacation?

Pages : [1] 2

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Since we have quite a few people who feel the tarps on the castle etc will ruin their vacation, I have a question, what would ruin YOUR DLR vacation?

For me, it would be the park being closed when I got there, one of my family members being injured at the park, not being able to get a choclate chip cookie at the Blue Ribbon bakery and forgetting, AGAIN, to have my youngest's silohuette (I totally spelled that wrong) done.

dlandnut
09-08-2004, 06:51 AM
It would most likely be something stupid that later, when I put it in the right perspective, would make me feel like a fool. How about the whole group eats somewhere and everybody gets food poisoning and hurls for 24 hours and has diarrhea (lol)? Pretty pathetic. Or, somebody gets injured, or lost, or poked in the eye by Captain Hook. All-in-all, I can't think of a whole lot that would ruin it for me, since it's never happened. I've been when it rained, when it was so crowded you couldn't move, when it was cold and windy. Yet, I still felt the magic and loved every minute of it! :)

sdfilmcritic
09-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Um. I guess physical pain might do the trick for me. Maybe if all the major rides and attractions were closed simultaneously that would do it for me. But I am an AP so I can always go back later when the rides and attractions start opening back up again.

merlinjones
09-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Permanent closure of another classic Walt attraction.

rentayenta
09-08-2004, 07:02 AM
I think that showing up and having the park closed. I cannot imagine being in the park and having my vacation ruined unless there was physical harm done to me and my family.

I wouldn't allow a closed attraction to ruin my trip. Now 7 closed attractions is another story. We go during the busiest times because we handle the crowds better than missing our favorites.

CoasterChickie
09-08-2004, 07:06 AM
If we got into a terrible accident on the way there. (Highway 5 can get pretty scary, especially when the big trucks are whizzing by at 80 mph)
If we got there and the park was closed due to a terrorist attack (my sister was there when 9/11 happened and they shut everything down for the day) If someone got injured or killed. Or if someone got kidnapped.

AliciasMom
09-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Having a CM take out their bad day on me on Christmas Eve in the park..... oh wait that already happen.

Now I think if someone scared or something hurt my daughter, or if god forbid my daughter got lost somehow. Last time I was in the park we were walking in Fantasyland and we saw this woman screaming "Anthony! Anthony where are you?" That's when I decided that when my daughter is walking out of the stroller more we will have one of those kiddie leashes.

Vegitabeta
09-08-2004, 07:15 AM
Getting injured on a ride does it for me. When we were in a theme park in Holland (Efteling) my mam split her head open on the rapids ride and had to have stitches, we had to go to hospital and everything...it was horrible.

Lekta
09-08-2004, 07:26 AM
How about getting your wallet or purse snatched with your passes, money, and credit cards in it? Or your car?

rentayenta
09-08-2004, 08:17 AM
How about getting your wallet or purse snatched with your passes, money, and credit cards in it? Or your car?

That would suck.

LOYL2DZNY
09-08-2004, 08:38 AM
If we got into a terrible accident on the way there...

yup...that happened to me. i had my neice, who was 4 at the time, and my best friend's neice, who was 3 at the time, and myself in the car. we were following our group of cars through an intersection in palmdale, ca, and i didn't see the car coming straight at us throught the intersection, and we crashed. my car spun about 3 times and it was totalled. i messed up my leg and my face and chest were messed up by the seatbelt. the two girls were fine. my neice fell unconscious for about 5 minutes or so, and was foaming at the mouth. i thought she was dead. :eek: scared the crap out of me, but she came out of it. needless to say, we didn't make it to disneyland THAT day, but the very next day, we all loaded up and headed for disneyland....w/me in a wheelchair and all drugged up. :p we got onto every ride almost right away. it was the worst trip to disneyland for me, because the only way to get everyone on the rides right away was if i went on the rides, and it hurt ssssooooo bad. i cried on every ride that shook me around. people were staring at me because my face was all scratched up. anyhoo, that's my story. sorry it was so long.
another bad time for me was i had a miscarriage on our second day of our 5 day disneyland trip this past spring. we had to cut our trip short. :crying: that was bad...but the good news now is, i am almost 5 months pregnant and baby is doing fine! another disney baby on it's way!!!! :D

sami869
09-08-2004, 08:44 AM
It would ahve to be something major: someone in my group getting hurt, a child in the group getting lost, getting to the park to find out that it's closed for every day we planned on going in.

rentayenta
09-08-2004, 08:48 AM
back to the stolen wallet idea...I wonder how prevalent thieves are in DL. I leave all sorts of goodies in the bottom of our stroller and have never had a problem; anyone ever have this problem at DL?

GreenDragon
09-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Wow, aside from someone in my family being injured, I can't think of anything...and I'm NOT an AP, and don't get to go very often (hey, I've been trying to check out DCA since it opened, so far no luck...I haven't been to DL in almost 5 years :crying: ). I've even weathered the closures of my beloved Pirates and Mansion...though never both the same trip, knock on wood! ::knocks on head, becomes unconscious::

englishdisneylandfan
09-08-2004, 10:57 AM
What would ruin my disneyland vacation? probably bad weather would hate it to be raining all the time, or maybe if pirates were closed that would ruin my holiday. Or if splah were closed.... on second thoughts if any of the major rides were closed it would make my vacation less enjoyable.

MrsPooh
09-08-2004, 11:04 AM
What always seems to make the trip a bad one (I only had one trip "ruined") is taking relatives along. It never fails that one or the other "outlaw" will pick some stupid fight or have some attitude that sets the mood for everyone. Our one and only Christmas visit was ruined by a SIL with an attitude. Mr. Pooh, Piglet and I have decided that we have the most fun at the parks when it is just the three of us.

Inevitably, though, because of my knowledge of the park and everything Disney I end up being "tour guide Barbie" for everyone. Doesn't it figure. :mad:

missm
09-08-2004, 11:43 AM
It would most likely be something stupid that later, when I put it in the right perspective, would make me feel like a fool. How about the whole group eats somewhere and everybody gets food poisoning and hurls for 24 hours and has diarrhea (lol)? Pretty pathetic. Or, somebody gets injured, or lost, or poked in the eye by Captain Hook. All-in-all, I can't think of a whole lot that would ruin it for me, since it's never happened. I've been when it rained, when it was so crowded you couldn't move, when it was cold and windy. Yet, I still felt the magic and loved every minute of it! :)

My mom got food poisoning on our last trip she was sick for 2 1/2 days. Luckily 2 of the days she was sick we were in Palm Springs, so it didn't cut into our DL time. Plus we were there for 8 days so getting sick for 2 is nothing, hmmm that's easy for me to say because I wasn't the one sick. Beware of ceaser dressing.

There's only one thing that could ruin a trip to DLR. If I had to cancel my trip. Other than that rides can close, I can still shop.

disneyperson
09-08-2004, 12:29 PM
It would have to be something major, such as serious injury or illness before I would consider a trip ruined. The closest we ever came was several years ago when the evil mime chased my daughter even after I told him she was afraid of clowns.He mimed to me that he was not a clown and chased her anyway. (I know lots of folk love the mime, he's a beloved character,yada.yada,yada, but we still avoid him like the plague) But even then we let our anger go,wiped away the tears, and went on to enjoy our day. My daughter fell in toon town when she was a little girl and got a bloody nose , but once she saw all the CMs running to help her,(even the toon town nurse) she got over it really quick. They even offred her a new t shirt to replace the bloody one. Even closed attractions wouldn't do it for us, and until about three years ago we only went to Dl once or twice a year. We go more often now but it's still an 800 mile round trip ,not to be taken lightly.As I've said before, it's all about attitude. I go to Dl to have fun. If I have to turn a blind eye to some distractions to do it, that's what I do. But my fun, I will have.(and yes I'm aware I just channeled Yoda in that last sentence)

Susan L
09-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Well I would have to say the park being closed or someone in the family getting hurt. So far the worst thing that has ever happened was our last trip in 2003, we all had the flu. Not at the same time, my son and I had it first on the first half of the trip and then my husband and daughter came down with it the second half of the trip. The only one who didn't have it on the trip was our nephew, he at least waited to get home to have it. But, even this didn't get us down, it was also pouring rain most of the time we were there. We are a pretty tough crowd we always make the best of what we get stuck with.

dlandnut
09-08-2004, 01:28 PM
One thing I've occasionally wondered, since Southern California/California in general is so seismically active, has anyone been at DL during an earthquake? What sort of safety precautions do they have in place? I've thought about being on Space Mountain or similar attraction in the middle of the ride and an earthquake hits. What happens? :)

Disney Downunder
09-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Coming all the way from Australia for a week on the 18th and all the family really looking forward to doing HM, only for it to be closed for it's Halloween fit out. Bummer.

SCUBAbe
09-08-2004, 04:27 PM
the only thing that I have left the park after only 1 hour was the heat and the crowds. I suppose an unfortunate accident would do it also. Saturday we're going to the parks early and leaving around 1pm. I'm expecting the ehat will be really bad that day, but I want to take a car ride. It's been months since I've driven anywhere excpet to work and back. :(

sediment
09-08-2004, 04:46 PM
One thing I've occasionally wondered, since Southern California/California in general is so seismically active, has anyone been at DL during an earthquake? What sort of safety precautions do they have in place? I've thought about being on Space Mountain or similar attraction in the middle of the ride and an earthquake hits. What happens? :)
Things will shake back and forth mostly, unless you're right on top of it. Then you'd get shaken every which way. On a fast ride with heavy-duty restraints, you wouldn't even notice it. Might even be safer.
I don't think the rides would be any more dangerous than walking down the street or sleeping on the first floor of a poorly-built apartment building.
There might be a bit of downtime in a nearby 5.0 or above, and more for anything worse.

Sheila
09-08-2004, 04:55 PM
I think the only time I have been bummed out is when I have gone thinking that there will be no crowds. And when I got there, it was wall-to-wall people with all the FastPasses gone and the lines seriously busy. It made it impossible to get on more than a handful of rides. So that was kind of a downer. (But not really -- that's the worst I have experienced. Knock on wood!!)

If I have an expectation that it will be busy, and it is busy, I'm not so upset. Just human nature, I guess.... :)

Sheila

Silly Spook
09-08-2004, 05:09 PM
If the Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, Pirates of the Carribean or Disneyland Railroad were closed, I would find Disneyland to be anything but the Happiest Place on Earth. Those attractions just make it so unique for me. Another thing that ticks me off is when a group takes over Disneyland to bring attention to themselves, instead of letting people enjoy the show. However, since I have an annual pass and visit at least twice a week, it's not sweat when things do go my way. :D