PDA

View Full Version : Closedland, a new photo album from September 7th

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
09-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Yes, we have a theme today, and what a theme...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/214702

ENJOY!:fez:

SoCalDude
09-07-2004, 11:03 PM
That is really amazing... I really do feel like we should have a big red stamp on our foreheads that says "SUUUUUCKER" for buying APs this year... just amazing. This was the first year we got one of the 'Premium Annual Passport' for my wife to try to save some money in the end.. but with all of the resturaunts we go to closed.. well what do we do now? lol..

I also saw you put that there was no AP processing at the Plaza Pavilion - last time I saw it they moved it behind space mountian byt the restrooms behind the arcade. Is it not there anymore? My impression was they took it out of the PP and moved it there. I have not checked on it since before the summer break, no real need to at this point :crying:

Disneyfreak
09-08-2004, 01:11 AM
WOW I have never seen this much closed in my life in the resorts history. But I am very happy that they are doing a lot to improve the park. I am just disappointed that all the shows and stands were closed, that was just unacceptable.

haunted_mike
09-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Nice photos, I think though that it's somewhat ironic that in the past your photo updates have highlighted, right down to the smallest detail, everything that needs fixing around the park, yet now they are finally doing something about it the park is criticised for having too many closed rides and refurb walls.

However, there certainly does seems to be a lot closed at Disneyland at the moment. With so many rides closed for refurbishment and the park still charging full price doesn't represent very good value for money at all. It must be particularly bad for those making a once-in-a-lifetime trip who don't get the opportunity to visit the park every week.

One other thing which struck me about the photos was that there didn't seem to be many people about, with the off season now commencing is it really necessary to have every restaurant and ODV cart open? The demand hardly seems overwhelming. Now if they could just move those ugly, unused ODV carts backstage...

Tigertail777
09-08-2004, 01:58 AM
HOLY CRAP! I never realized just how bad all the closures were! Thats insane! If I walked in the park and saw that many things closed I would demand a refund without riding a darned thing. I would immediately leave. I am still in shock, I think I know where a lot of the "budget" money came from for 50th refurbs now, still get paying suckers into the park, and have a ton of labor costs cut back. I wonder how many DL/DCA employees are currently out of work? YIKES.

dasrock
09-08-2004, 02:34 AM
nice pictures!!!
We have 10 days till our trip and I never would have thought DL could look so sad...
we went last october and the place was packed.
humm I wonder if my wife will notice

:cool:

rentayenta
09-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Thank you. How do you have the time to take all of these great photos?

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the photos. Once again I feel like I am there.
I was also going to ask where all the people are. Even during the off season it seems ironic that there would not have been more people in your photos. Did you take many of them in the early morning?
As for the Zephyr, I have video of my DH and DS riding it in October 2002, so it was at least open that day. :D

GrumpyUTboi
09-08-2004, 07:10 AM
I love how many pics you have, I wonder how few of pics you would have if you took pics of rides that are open, 15-20 maybe.

Light crowds. I guess that is good in one sense maybe, no long lines. I do have to admit that the $705 that I spent seems real pricey with all that is covered up and sut down. DL talks about the rides that are closed, but they don't talk about all the other attractions at the park being closed.

I guess that I can count my lucky stars that HISTA is still open for the moment.

Darkbeer
09-08-2004, 09:22 AM
All my photos are date/time stamped (click on "more photos details" at the bottom), I was at the park from about 1 PM till about 5 PM, with a lunch break around 2 PM. The photos are also in order of time taken.

Yes, it was quiet, but to be honest, it was a bit busier than I expected....

I was also going to ask where all the people are. Even during the off season it seems ironic that there would not have been more people in your photos. Did you take many of them in the early morning?
As for the Zephyr, I have video of my DH and DS riding it in October 2002, so it was at least open that day. :D

rentayenta
09-08-2004, 09:26 AM
All my photos are date/time stamped (click on "more photos details" at the bottom), I was at the park from about 1 PM till about 5 PM, with a lunch break around 2 PM. The photos are also in order of time taken.

Yes, it was quiet, but to be honest, it was a bit busier than I expected....

I am sorry that I am so nosey and hope I am not intruding but are taking these pictures part of your occupation or a hobby? I think it's fantastic and enjoy them so much.

napabeth
09-08-2004, 09:33 AM
We were in WDW at this time last year. Same story there. I've heard September is the slowest month, hence all the refurbishments. At first we were bummed, but when we realized how uncrowded everything was, it was ok. I guess it's a trade off. Also, a lot of the fastpass machines were closed there too, but you didn't need them - almost all the rides you could just walk on.

I'm glad Disneyland is doing the necessary maintenance. And if things are closed when I'm there, it just means I need to go back later! :)

Disney Vault
09-08-2004, 04:02 PM
I cant believe so much is closed but you cant expect them to have all the carts and places to eat open in the off season but it seems like too many places were closed. But i also think you made it too negative because this is all for the long term, not just a few weeks without some rides.

SCUBAbe
09-08-2004, 04:23 PM
it's not difficult yo get a picture without people in it or very few people in it. :)

mumeee99
09-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Whoa!!! Matterhorn is closed?? When is that due to re-open?? That is my daughter's favorite ride, say it ain't so!

Melaniee
09-08-2004, 05:45 PM
When we went in February it really did seem like a lot was closed (space mountain, big thunder - my favorites), but that was February...I can't believe in September! Luckily this year I won't be looking for too many e-tickets since I have a 3 year old, anyway.

Is the matterhorn a long-term closure? I think that actually was open in February!

---Melanie who is quite looking forward to the new space mountain!!

SCUBAbe
09-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Whoa!!! Matterhorn is closed?? When is that due to re-open?? That is my daughter's favorite ride, say it ain't so!
it's down for the yearly refurb. Yes, it is so.

Darkbeer
09-08-2004, 06:00 PM
The Matterhorn is scheduled to reopen November 24th, but they have a lot to get done, so it might get delayed......

The most detailed refurb listing I know of is here....

http://www.miboards.com/showthread.php?t=17950

Disney Vault
09-08-2004, 06:07 PM
They are usually pretty good about staying on schedule so i would guess it will be open for your trip in December.

mumeee99
09-08-2004, 06:09 PM
The Matterhorn is scheduled to reopen November 24th, but they have a lot to get done, so it might get delayed......

The most detailed refurb listing I know of is here....

http://www.miboards.com/showthread.php?t=17950

Phew thanks, there is a least a good chance it will be open when we're there again. She'd be really upset if it was closed.

Great link, thanks!

Darkbeer
09-08-2004, 06:16 PM
The last Matterhorn refurb return date was changed multiple times, and didn't reopen for months after the original scheduled date. The other refurb that has a good chance of having a delayed opening is the Tiki Room. I also think the Jungle Cruise has a good chance due to the amount of work scheduled (the 2005 refurb, not the short one this year.)

mumeee99
09-08-2004, 06:20 PM
The last Matterhorn refurb return date was changed multiple times, and didn't reopen for months after the original scheduled date. The other refurb that has a good chance of having a delayed opening is the Tiki Room. I also think the Jungle Cruise has a good chance due to the amount of work scheduled (the 2005 refurb, not the short one this year.)

Oh, your depressing me :(

Darkbeer
09-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Oh, your depressing me :(
I am not trying to, just being honest......

IMHO, it is better to know what to expect, and if it does open on time, then you will be "lucky", and if it is delayed, then well, you expected it.....

You should have a great time no matter what:cool:

DCAWhites
09-08-2004, 06:53 PM
At least Indiana Jones reopened on time last spring. People thought that would be down till the summer.

Melaniee
09-08-2004, 10:34 PM
:( Not the jungle cruise!

Space Mountain opens on my son's 4th birthday. I wonder if he'll understand? "Happy Birthday Honey, now head over to fantasy land with daddy while mommy goes to play!" ;)