PDA

View Full Version : "Magic Happens" ???

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
11-19-2001, 09:15 AM
Has anyone seen the bizarre new Disney brand/image ad campaign that features the slogan "Magic Happens"? No good product, entertainment, park, film or toy to sell here, only the Disney brand name.

The one I saw has a middle-aged couple arguing in bed until the man starts whispering in her ear like Donald Duck. That should send people to DCA and make them buy Disney brand housepaint for sure.

The slogan is "Magic Happens" - - clearly a "clever twist" on the popular phrase "S*** Happens" (please excuse the word implication here, moderator, but its a major point for discussion). Uh, why would anyone want to make that association? Or is it simply too accurate these days?

Are their marketers on crack along with management?

MammaSilva
11-19-2001, 09:20 AM
Oh I have seen that commercial ....and once again I have to wonder "what were they thinking...oh yeah obviously they weren't" UGH......and the argument is because "he doesn't talk to her in that magically way anymore" so he does DD's voice... oh yeah now THAT is romantic ROFL

blusilva
11-19-2001, 10:53 AM
It seems along the same lines as all the "I'm with Grumpy", "I'm with Dopey" "we're all cynical and hip" shirts that have been hitting the park lately.

I find it highly disturbing. In the interest of full disclosure, however, I do admit I actually bought a Wicked Queen anger managment shirt at the Villains shop.

MammaSilva
11-19-2001, 11:07 AM
I've seen the "I'm with" shirts but haven't seen the anger management one, ... mind describing it? I'm looking for a unique Christmas gift for a friend who is a disney nut and has a great sense of humor but a really funky customer relations job LOL

MouseWife
11-19-2001, 11:08 AM
I took it that the magic was missing from their marriage and that when she complained about that fact he brought out the 'magic' that he knew {sadly, Donald Ducks voice? Not Fabio or Antonio Banderas? :) }. I took it that they were pushing a vacation to one of their resorts to bring back the magic.

Just my honest interpretation.

dshimel
11-19-2001, 11:44 AM
Haven't seen the comercials, but they seem lame.

Here in Colorado, we're not even getting DCA comercials anymore. All we're getting is WDW, 100 years of magic. Seems like they've given up on trying to sell DCA to out of staters, and have resigned themselves to the idea of having to give it away to locals.

Napsto
11-19-2001, 12:21 PM
i haven't seen the commercial in a while!

KarenW2
11-19-2001, 02:39 PM
Yep, we've seen the ad down here in San Diego County, and we thought it was more than a bit tasteless! :( A big thumbs down from our household! It obviously brings to mind the less than "Disney" expression and we're saddened by its use. Seems like the next thing we'll be seeing are pictures of the Fab Five giving the "one finger salute" (however they'd do it with their missing fingers) in print ads! Tragic indeed!

Let's hope they re-think this campaign and come up with a new slogan, or reuse one that's still good. Since those words are on a separate screen, it seems like it would be easy enough to replace them with something more fitting.

I'd be happier to see "Remember the Magic"!! :D It would certainly fit the situation expressed in the ad, remembering the fun in their marriage that seems to be missing.

How about a MousePlanet survey? What slogan would you re-use or what's your new better slogan to replace the tacky one with?

zapppop
11-19-2001, 02:44 PM
Definitely not their best.

blusilva
11-19-2001, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
I've seen the "I'm with" shirts but haven't seen the anger management one, ... mind describing it? I'm looking for a unique Christmas gift for a friend who is a disney nut and has a great sense of humor but a really funky customer relations job LOL

They're black with purple and gold writing. A picture of the Wicked Queen from Snow White is on the left and on the right it says "Wicked Queen Anger Management Group. Not happy with the person in the mirror? Come see us."

MammaSilva
11-19-2001, 04:16 PM
thanks blusilva.. may have to be emailing MouseShoppe :)

AliKzam
11-19-2001, 07:15 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out and openly admit I thought the commercial was cute.
The slogan is a little tired. "Magic happens". It'll probably pass. Let's just hope that's not how corporate actually thinks it works.

Originally posted by KarenW2
How about a MousePlanet survey? What slogan would you re-use or what's your new better slogan to replace the tacky one with? [/B]

"DISNEYLAND FOR $20!!!" :D

merlinjones
11-21-2001, 06:21 AM
Now that Disney's marketing muses have created a wonderful new coded defintion for the word (Magic) via their "Magic Happens" campaign, it opens up a whole new realm of meaning in such past slogans as:

Share the (Magic)
or
Bring Home the (Magic)

...How about these for the future:

Full of (Magic)

Step into the (Magic)

Smell the (Magic!)

Looks like (Magic)

Don't give me any of your (Magic)!

MammaSilva
11-21-2001, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Now that Disney's marketing muses have created a wonderful new coded defintion for the word (Magic) via their "Magic Happens" campaign, it opens up a whole new realm of meaning in such past slogans as:

Share the (Magic)
or
Bring Home the (Magic)

...How about these for the future:

Full of (Magic)

Step into the (Magic)

Smell the (Magic!)

Looks like (Magic)

Don't give me any of your (Magic)!

Oh man that post should have came with a warning NOT to have liquids in your mouth as you start to read....I almost choked on my tea to keep from spewing it out when I burst into laughter....have to add the new meaning of "magic" to my list on non curse curse words LOL

Haldwitten
11-21-2001, 09:18 AM
Oh, I like that. The possibilities are endless.

Disney's California Adventure:
Where the Magic Hits the Fan

Team Disney Anaheim:
We've got Magic for Brains

Luminaria:
Utter Magic

And more of the general sell:

Oh, Magic.

merlinjones
11-21-2001, 09:36 AM
Michael Eisner and Company: Makin' Magic!

Not Afraid
11-21-2001, 09:43 AM
This is a GREAT thread. I'll be smiling all day. But if I don't get going on Thanksgiving house cleaning I'll be up magic creek without a paddle!

Makes you wonder about:
Magic Johnson
The Magic Kingdom
Magical Mystery Tour

And isn't there a sports team called Magic?

And next time I run into traffic I can shout MAGIC!

I'm sure there's more.

stinkerbell
11-21-2001, 10:42 AM
This thread is just a pile of magic! I've got a magic-eating grin on my face, which is great because I've kinda had a magicy week. I've got all kinds of magic to do around the house before I load the kids in the car and drive in the magicy weather to the coast to my mom's house. Then I have to listen to my little sister's magic about how hard college is and how much her magicy books cost. Oh, please! (I'm just magicing all you college students out there--the prices are outrageous. Holy magic!)
Oh here I am complaining, like you really give a magic........

Happy Thanksgiving!

Not Afraid
11-21-2001, 10:58 AM
This is just making my day! Laughter is a great stress reliever.

When you get mad at someone you can tell them to eat magic and die (oooooh)!

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

:)

MammaSilva
11-21-2001, 12:01 PM
I want to join in on wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving....we really do have a lot to be grateful for this time of year....

And as for "magic happens" I am sooo loving this, we'll know a MP'r from a distance if we hear Oh Magic!!!!...LOL

SimpTwister
11-21-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Haldwitten
Team Disney Anaheim:
We've got Magic for Brains

LOL!!! :D :) :D :) :D

merlinjones
11-21-2001, 08:59 PM
>>And as for "magic happens" I am sooo loving this, we'll know a MP'r from a distance if we hear Oh Magic!!!!...LOL<<

Because we be talkin' Maaaagic, bay-bay!!!

Not Afraid
11-21-2001, 09:10 PM
So I'm at the Park today and I pick up a stuffed Pluto and notice that "tatooed" on his Hind Quarters are the words "Where the Magic Began". Well, what appropriate placement!:D

I think the way I view the world has now changed. At least I laugh more!

Here's the item that got me going:
http://www.mouseshoppe.com/custom/Product/WTMBPluto.jpg

MouseWife
11-21-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
This thread is just a pile of magic! I've got a magic-eating grin on my face, which is great because I've kinda had a magicy week. I've got all kinds of magic to do around the house before I load the kids in the car and drive in the magicy weather to the coast to my mom's house. Then I have to listen to my little sister's magic about how hard college is and how much her magicy books cost. Oh, please! (I'm just magicing all you college students out there--the prices are outrageous. Holy magic!)
Oh here I am complaining, like you really give a magic........

Happy Thanksgiving!

Okay, that was just the right thing to start off my Thanksgiving weekend with! I surely won't tell my family what 'magic' means!
I will remember your little spiel when I am having a grrrrr moment! {And I am sure I will!}

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

zapppop
11-21-2001, 09:11 PM
Magic Happens...........TO BE MISSING :D