PDA

View Full Version : Any obscure/surprise places?

Pages : [1] 2

dlandnut
09-07-2004, 12:43 PM
I've been to DL quite a few times. When we go next June, I seriously want to take the time to explore obscure places that I normally don't go. I want to find that little "out of the way" place to buy a soda or other food, or someplace that many of the park visitors don't usually visit, all within DL or CA, of course. Any "secret" places that you'd be willing to share??? :)

Forbin
09-07-2004, 01:04 PM
The Mcdonald's Fry truck past Big Thunder?
The Ice Cream Place across from the Canation Cafe?
Turkey Legs at the old Motorboat lagoon?
Tigger Tails at the Winne the Pooh Store?

sami869
09-07-2004, 01:33 PM
When I treid the tigger tails I though the they were the grossest thing ever and was disapointed that I had wasted my money on them. Just my opinion.

DJ_MENTOS
09-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I disagree. So it's up to your taste...

kaybee2
09-07-2004, 02:36 PM
:confused:

What are Tigger Tails? I am curious!

julia
09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
One of my favorite things to do is to have a late dinner at the Wine Country Trattoria and then, slip out to the patio to have a great seat for the Electrical Parade. I totally stumbled over this gem and loved it!

Have a great day!
Julia

Forbin
09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
When I treid the tigger tails I though the they were the grossest thing ever and was disapointed that I had wasted my money on them. Just my opinion.

Hehe...I myself don't like Dole Whips, but that is defintely a matter of opinion.

Tigger Tails are marshmellows with an Orange Candy Sauce with a little chocloate stripes on it. Sold only in the back of Splash Mountain near the exit of the Winnie the Pooh Ride. Also that store has a room of unique Candy that you can't find in the rest of DLR.

mystycalchyk
09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
One thing, that probably most people here know about, but non geeks have never heard of (it seems) is the tour of Walts apartment you can ask for. It's free, and not advertised. Just go to the gallery above POTC and ask one of the CMs for a tour. They will then take you around and show you how the gallery was actually built to be an apartment, which rooms are the bedrooms the dining rooms etc etc etc. We have done it everytime we go for years....even though we know what it all is, we just love to share it with noobs :)

rakkwhite
09-07-2004, 06:14 PM
My favavorite place to relax in peace and quiet is in NOS in a little nook behind the little Xmas ornament shop. There's a bench, water fountain and a staircase leading up to a backstage area. It is absolutely beautiful and I rarely see anyone in there.

Also, there's the captain's helm on the paddle wheel and the front or back of the monorail you can experience.

Have fun!!!

bassett1976
09-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Sitting on the balcony at the Disney Gallery is a nice way to relax. Also, Tom Sawyer's Island is always a nice place to explore during the day. I would ask to ride in the front of the monorail. It's worth waiting for the next monorail to check out the view.

sdfilmcritic
09-07-2004, 11:04 PM
There's the shortcut's shortcut on the left side of the castle that leads through the Barnyard facade and past the restrooms and dumps you right in front of the Mexican Restaurant in Frontierland.

One of my favorite places to some what getaway from the crowds the walkway along the BTMRR toward Fantasyland. It's the back roads that lead past the Ranch that not as many people walk through.

dlandnut
09-08-2004, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=rakkwhite]My favavorite place to relax in peace and quiet is in NOS in a little nook behind the little Xmas ornament shop.. . .

NOS? Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean? :)

Vegitabeta
09-08-2004, 07:10 AM

Same here ICK! I only got it because it looked nice :p

tod
09-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Snow White's Grotto, just east of the Castle.
Middle deck of the Mark Twain. Nobody goes there.
The waterfalls in front of the Marina Tower at the Disneyland Hotel.
The Hearthstone Lodge at the Grand Californian.
The pet cemetery just west of the Haunted Mansion. It's right on the cusp of backstage but I've never been hassled there.

--t

dlandnut
09-08-2004, 08:14 AM
What is NOS? :)

AVP
09-08-2004, 08:39 AM
What is NOS? :)New Orleans Square

AVP

LOYL2DZNY
09-08-2004, 08:41 AM
What is NOS? :)

New Orleans Square

rentayenta
09-08-2004, 08:56 AM
I like to relax on the benches, that are always shaded, that are in front of the Matterhorn turnstyles. On our last trip my son had fallen asleep. My DH took the girls on the Matterhorn and I bought myself an ice-cream. It was so nice to sit, eat, and people watch while the baby slept. Ahhhh....I can't wait to go back!

We also enjoy riding the train around the park a few times.

The benches on Main St right as you enter the park, especially during the holidays, are great. Grab a hot cocoa and enjoy the magic of the Christmas tree. I realize that this won't work for a June visit.

I think all of DCA is pretty obscure ;)

Arnie
09-08-2004, 11:21 AM
The pet cemetery just west of the Haunted Mansion. It's right on the cusp of backstage but I've never been hassled there.

--t
I thought they had moved the pet cemetery out to the front of the Mansion, so that you walk by it when you are in line. I know it used to be on the side near the handicap entrance. Is some of it still there? Or did they move it somewhere else?

sjcivilady
09-08-2004, 11:35 AM
I saw you're going in June, so this wouldn't be as fun - but when we went last December, we sat on the heated deck outside the sourdough bread place in Cal Adv and could see the Electric Parade fairly good across the water - so we just hung out there for awhile sipping hot choc (after having the soup in a bread bowl) and watching the parade from comfortable seats. It was a chilly evening, so that's one of my favorite memories of that trip. Probably more of a hint for someone going this winter. :) joan

spectromen
09-08-2004, 11:55 AM
The most peaceful spot I've found is the seating area in Fowler's Harbor. You don't see it from the McDonald's stand, but if you continue around behind the Columbia dock, there's a wonderful area to sit, eat and relax. Then, a little farther down the path is a lookout where you can see the turnaround for Splash Mountain.

San Diego
09-09-2004, 08:26 PM
I like the downstairs deck area of the Hungry Bear restaurant. It's right on the water. I like to watch the Columbia, the Mark Twain and the canoes go by. It's nice and shady and ducks congregate there also.

Speaking of ducks, one of the most "magical" things I've seen in Disneyland was a mother duck leading a line newborn ducklings from the submarine lagoon into the Storybookland canal. It was a crowded day this last July and they just walked through the crowd like they owned the place. My kids couldn't believe they were real!

In defense of California Adventure, one of the best things is the "Seasons of the Vine" movie in the wine cellar. They keep it so coool in that room. It feels so good on a hot day.

skoolpsyk
09-09-2004, 08:37 PM
There are soooo many more of these little "magical" spots at DL and very few at DCA. The thing that gets me is that they are not expensive! DCA needs stuff like this more than it needs a $100M e-ticket ride...

Fozzie
09-09-2004, 11:21 PM
I love New Orleans Square - it's a great little place to spend time in. I'm also a fan of the lower deck of the Hungry Bear. It has a wonderful view of the river. Those are both wonderful suggestions! :)

I found a neat spot over in DCA today. It's located in the Hollywood Backlot area, and it's the perfect spot to sit and do some "people-watching." It's located near the restrooms just before you reach the Animation building. There is a nice little fountain and plenty of room to sit in the shade....

dasrock
09-10-2004, 01:39 AM
behind the tarps :D