PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed [Veteran's Day visit]

kelmac284
09-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi I am new to the boards but have been coming to mouseplanet for about 3 years and LOVE it. My family and I go to Disneyland at least 2 or 3 times a year and because we have small children try to go during the school year and as FAR away from any holidays as possible to avoid any crowds.

We usually would NEVER go during any kind of holiday but since my oldest daughter is now in Jr. High and has TONS of homework we decided to try Veterans day this year.

I am sure it will be crowded but am wondering HOW crowded. Is it worth trying or will we be miserable?

We are going to arrive on Tuesday and go to Disney on Wed and probably DCA on Thursday and then back to Disney on Friday.

Are we crazy to go during that time? Also we wanted to see electric light parade but I can't find if it plays at that time of year.

And lastly when do the start with the christmas stuff? Will we miss it?

It is fine if we do but were there at Christmas last year and LOVED it and thought if we could catch it when it first comes out it would be a bonus.

Anyhoo any and all help would be GREAT.

Thanks and I LOVE the site and am sure I will soon become addicted to these boards too. :)

Kelly

Christiii
09-07-2004, 01:03 PM
well, I dont know about Veterans day per se, but I do know that fast passes really help if you use them correctly. I would also suggest getting the park hopper passes, so you donr have to stay ALL day at one place or another..you may end of eanting to, but its nice to have the freedom to come and go to both parks.
I know a lot of posters have used a trip planner..dont remeber the name..ridemax or something..and it has really seemed to help them. Best advice is go early or late for the busiest rides, and use the fast pass system. There are other posts abput the whole fast pass thing, which rides are linked to eather other etc..its really kind of complicated but worth if I think if you read up on it.. Just do a search on these boards for the fastpass info.
Just d0nt be in a panicy hurry for anything and you will have a great time!!

kelmac284
09-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks. Yeah we always use the fastpass and baby swap and we KNOW going into it that there is always the possibility of crowds. I guess I am just trying to decide if it is worth it to deal with TONS of people. That is why I was hoping someone might have experience with THAT particular holiday.

My husband was just home on leave from Iraq a few weeks ago and we ended up going in August which I said I would NEVER do again but it wasn't too bad.

Sure it was a little crowded at times but we did like you said and switched parks etc.

Since we have already gone like 4 times this year I don't want to go on Veterans if it is just going to be so crowded it is miserable. We don't HAVE to go then I just figured it would be easier with the kids to not fight all the people.

I know one year my mom and I went in October and didn't realize it was Columbus day and even THAT day it was packed so hopefully someone on here will have some experience.

Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it! :)

downingfamily1
09-07-2004, 02:09 PM
We went last year over Veteran's Day and it was very crowded. We still had fun, but I was really surprised at how busy the parks were. I am going to skip that holiday the next time we plan a trip.
-Julie

kelmac284
09-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks Downing that is what I am afraid of. It is on a Thursday this year so I wasn't too sure how many people would take that day since it is so close to Thanksgiving but I know our schools here in my town are taking that Friday off as are most I am sure so that makes it a 4 days weekend. I am sure lots of locals go then too. Well I guess we will just have to see.

Thanks!

julia
09-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I just assume that the holidays are going to be crowded and prepare accordingly. Christmas decorations usually go up in early November. Using the FastPasses is a great idea - run around when you first get to the parks and get the FastPasses first. Then, schedule the other stuff around those FastPass times. Go with a plan and a priority list of your must-sees/must-does and work your way down the list.

Also, make PS dining reservations and you might consider eating a bit before or after the main meal times on the non-PS dining locations. You might also hit the parks early and then, head back to your accommodations for a nap in the late afternoon. I always think the evenings seem more crowded than the early afternoons, probably because the locals come after work.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Best Regards,
Julia

stitchlvr
09-07-2004, 07:14 PM
We also went Veteran's Day last year. I was surprised at the crowds also. However, since you are planning DCA on the holiday, you might be ok. It is less crowded. I'm still glad I went even with the crowds.

kelmac284
09-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone. Does ANYONE know if the electric light parade is on during that time of year?

rentayenta
09-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi kelmac. If it makes you feel any better we always visit the parks during the busiest times of the year. We went during Sping Break this year and we'll be back over Christmas. I don't know what I'd do if DL wasn't crowded ;)

Have a great trip!

Wendi
09-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I doubt the week will be too busy, but I would expect crowds on Friday as that is when most schools and companies will observe the holiday.

I think the Electrical Parade will be on during that time... just because the Disneyland.com site has the schedule up through Halloween now and it is listed that day, so I'm thinking it will continue - but it may just be on weekends - probably Friday night if they don't have it running during the week.