PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

fidoprincess
09-07-2004, 10:50 AM
We've decided to bite the bullet and go! We will drive down from San Francisco on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, and return on Monday giving us 4 full days in the Parks.

So, we want to know will be really be getting the best of all things-lol?! The kids really want to see HM decorated (love the Movie!) and I really want to see the Christmas stuff and let the kids see Santa and the snow. We read that starting Thanksgiving Day, we will see all of these things as well as the castle unveiled too and the only things closed will be Space Mountain and the Tiki Room. Anyone know if this is really true?

I hope so because there is nothing worse than driving down the day before Thanksgiving-ugh the traffic will be horrible! Please tell me it is worth it! We were just there for Spring Break and the crowds were terrible but we also heard it will be worse Thanksgiving, true?

Any suggestions for a really special dinner that day? Any holiday "must do" things we probably don't know about? Still trying to decide between HoJos and Carousel-any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Lani
09-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Just be aware that that is a very busy time for Disneyland as well, so you can expect big crowds.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Can't help you on the festivities at the park, but I can say that we really like the HoJo!
Have a fun time!

hefferdude
09-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Define “worse”. We’ve been to DL 4 or 5 times at Thanksgiving and have experienced it from not so bad to terrible. ( Crowded to packed ).

Crowded at Spring Break is just that. “ crowded “ But the DLR Holiday Magic is worth it at almost any price. Disneyland Park Holiday is very magical, particularly at night time when the park takes on a very special holiday feeling. DLR during the holiday can be crowded and still offer so much more to see and do than just the rides. We think this time of year displays the special talent and hard work by ALL the CM’s that makes it a particular treat for everyone.

BTW – we’ll be there for Candlelight in December.

You mentioned traffic so here are some notes: If you’re coming down the 101S, leave early to avoid the San Jose and Prunedale commute jams. When getting close to Santa Maria tune to KNX ( 1070AM ) for traffic alerts which are helpful but not always timely Get south of Santa Barbara before 2PM..The SantaBarbara/Montecito/Ventura corridor has been a nightmare in the afternoon. ( Stop and go for 40 miles. ) When approaching Thousand Oaks consider taking the 23N – 118E – 210 -57S ( more diamond lanes ) if traffic is bad in the Calabassa/Tarzana area ( inclu the 101/405 junction ). Avoid I 5 as it is almost always backed up.

Finally, we always go with what we know. Go Hojo.

missm
09-07-2004, 11:48 AM
It's true only the Tiki Room and Space Mountain will be closed. Oh along with the Sailing Ship Columbia.

fidoprincess
09-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Well Hefferdude, That convinced me to hear you say that it is all "worth it"!! I am so excited now to see the decorations and spent some time looking up the other little things to do like decorating cookies, that I hope we will be thrilled.

Last Spring break, a few days were almost unbearable for us because it was so crowded you couldn't even walk. Lots of rides were down the last days to contribute to the problem though but we had plenty of time in the first couple days to do all we wanted so we just enjoyed the "non" ride things. It really becomes overwhelming when Splash, SM, Matterhorn and other big rides are all out of commission so the people that would normally be in line are all in the same place! The wait time for Pirates was 75 minutes for example. Luckily, I had the "fast pass guide"-lol.

Thanks for the traffic tips too although we never can seem to get past that 2:00 jam, hit it everytime unless we leave before the sun comes up-lol! Really, it is the drive home that is the nightmare after all the anticipation and the excitement are done-ugh. But just to have you say it is all worth it is enough to make me do it-lol!

Cat H
09-07-2004, 04:09 PM
I visited Disneyland last year the Tuesday and Wedsnesday right before Thanksgiving. The crowds were large, but no worse than during spring break. I have visited during spring break many times and Thanksgiving was just about as crowded, maybe a little less. The park was decorated so pretty for Christmas, Santa was there along with a big decorated christmas tree and there was snow every night in main street. I would say that it is worth fighting the crowds to see the decorations. Just make sure you get there when they open. The crowds are small the first hour or so that it opens.

fidoprincess
09-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks Cat! I can't wait for my kids to see the snow and Santa. Where we live it doesn't snow and although we took them to ski, it wasn't snowing so they have no idea what it looks like coming down. It will be really fun and I love all that Christmas glitter...getting excited now!