PDA

View Full Version : The Haunted Mansion story

jrsharp21
09-06-2004, 08:55 PM
I just got done reading The Disneyland Detective and read "the story" of the Haunted Mansion. Has anyone else read this and if so, what do you think? Personaly this is the first time I have ever heard of this story. But the author points out all the stuff in the mansion that can be traced back to this story.

If needed I can post the story, but I didn't want to spoil the book for people are haven't read it yet.

JoeCanadian
09-06-2004, 09:07 PM
I would be very much interested in hearing the story. If you are worried about spoiling the story for others you could use the [ spoiler ] tag.

Thanks! :)

Disney Vault
09-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I read about it on the internet and i wish the story would have been a little stronger in the ride. It is a very creepy story. Or even when they decided to make a HM movie i wish it would have followed this story. But some people might have thought of it beening to closely related to PotC because of the pirates.

Disney Vault
09-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Edited

To sum it up- The story is about a newly engaged couple and they move into the house together. The guy goes off on "business" and while he is gone she goes exploring and finds a chest in the attic. Inside the chest she discovers her husband is a pirate. When he comes home he finds out she knows his secret so he kills her. She comes back to haunt him and drives him crazy so he hangs himself. (This is the body you see hanging in the streching room) Some clues in the HM to the story incluse the weather vane which is a sailing ship, and the changing picture in the hallway of a pirate ship. Also the ghosts in the attick are taunting the bride ghost with the words she never got to hear "I Do"

ExPeRiMeNt629
09-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Actully that story is somewhat accurate. but it does tie in with HM and POTC, when i was "BEHIND THE BERM" awhile back at WDI onsite I got to hear the Story of both HM AND POTC and many other rides that have a "much darker light to it". And be on the look out on your local Tv for a REALLY COOL commerical for the Month of October.

Christiii
09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Ive never heard that story, but I do have a GREAT book on the Haunted Mansion. I bought it at DL about last Feb. its called Haunted Mansion, form page to screen..or something like that
the book details all the different versions and storeis that it took before coming to realization. It was supposed to be a walkthru, also about a Fishing captain ghost (not pirate). Two really famous disney artists had two different visions, one funny and one really scary..this is one of the reasons that it took so long to create..they just could not settle on a theme or idea. It also was supposed to have a raven as the narrator, sort of lead you thru the ride vut they decided against that too..tho you still see him in a few scenes. They say that the Paris DL is the closest to any story to follow. I havent read th4e cbook in awhile, but something about the Ghost Host being the mansion owner and his daughter waws going to marry and the father killed him or something like that..and she haunts the place.
also is says that it really leads you thru a theme..you first enter and the house is just kind of errie and scary, with things in the wallw and in the cforners..but then after you go to the science that is when all the spirits are summond and all haunted heck breaks loose..hehe. its a really really REALLY great book if you are a fan of the ride (its my fav) and details all the different park Mansions and also the movie..which I wasnt too interested in...

sdfilmcritic
09-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I thought the movie did the best it could of meshing all the possible stories in to one. There was the one strong, main storyline for the Mansion about a couple, but from some of the renditions I've heard the story lines gets split in to many different directions beyond the couple's ties to each other. The movie (with Eddie Murphy) I though took a couple of the key points from different storylines and did the best they could with it. Although the movie did need plenty more work on the story line it still did a good job.

mjformenotyou
09-07-2004, 07:54 AM
They say that the Paris DL is the closest to any story to follow. I havent read th4e cbook in awhile, but something about the Ghost Host being the mansion owner and his daughter waws going to marry and the father killed him or something like that..and she haunts the place.
also is says that it really leads you thru a theme..you first enter and the house is just kind of errie and scary, with things in the wallw and in the cforners..but then after you go to the science that is when all the spirits are summond and all haunted heck breaks loose.....

Okay. The DLP Haunted Mansion makes no sense really. It follows the story of the bride quite well up until you get into the attic, and then You get into what would be the courtyard and it turns into a ghost town with bizarre looking ghosts - NOTHING like the ones at DLR/WDW - playing poker, drinking in a saloon, the whole nine yards. :confused: :confused: Plus the "Father" is a spooky ghoul/evil ghost who just sort of freaks you out. You have no indication that he is her father or that her husband is a lying pirate.

SummerinFL
09-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Christiii

Can you provide the name and the author of the book? I'd like to get a copy of it.

Christiii
09-07-2004, 08:31 AM
sure! got it right here..its a coffee table size book called "The Haunted Mansion, from the magic kingdom to the Movies " by Jason Surrell. I bought it in NOS for $19.95, but it may evenc be on 3ebay for cheaper
its such an interesting book!!!

LOYL2DZNY
09-07-2004, 08:32 AM
i have the book, and have read the "story". before reading it in my book, i had heard of a similar story like it, but the DL detective was much more detailed. BTW, it is a good book, but it only took me less than a week to read the whole darn thing because i was so hooked on it!

Pirate Bill
09-07-2004, 08:51 AM
I think what really happed to the bride is she went into the attic, opened the chest and found her husbands churro stash. She was so upset, she ate all the churros and died, save for one... the one she's still holding! What is that thing in her hand? Anything in those books explain it? It's a churro I tell ya! :fez:

SummerinFL
09-07-2004, 08:54 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OMG Pirate Bill you have me ROFLMAO at work. People in the cubes next to me were asking if I was alright.

I love churros....strangely I know have a curious need to eat one.....*sighs* All we have is Churro Mania which is NOT the same thing sadly.

Great story!

Also, thanks for the info Christiii on the book, I will see about getting it. :)

olegc
09-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Another place to look to "mesh" story lines, etc., is a great fan site http://www.doombuggies.com. These guys were instrumental in covering the movie while it was being filmed as well as the book that was written. A lot of history and info is there..

They have a sister site - http://www.tellnotales.com - and much of the artwork was supplied by http://www.disneyexperience.com

Disney Vault
09-07-2004, 02:13 PM
The movie did a good job of putting a story together from all the scenes in the ride but it didnt follow the original story at all. I think the pirate story would have been better because a scary movie would have been much more interesting.

Christiii
09-07-2004, 02:17 PM
maybe Im missing something..but I though tthe movie dide a horrible job..the house didnt even look the same to me..and Ive never seen any references in the HM to pirates...the old haunted fishing captain maybe..but no pirates..maybe aim not riding the same ride ya'all are.... :confused:

jrsharp21
09-07-2004, 04:46 PM
From The Disneyland Detective:

Look for clues that give away the story of this house: a skeleton hanging from the ceiling, a picture of a sailor with a bloody ax in one hand and a noose in the other, a bride in the attic with a glowing heart. From the exterior , a sailing ship's weather vane stands atop the house, and other nautical clues embelish the second floor.

GreenDragon
09-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I thought the sailor with the ax was in WDW's Mansion, not DL's. :confused:

Disney Vault
09-07-2004, 05:12 PM
I dont remember a sailer with an ax either. I dont even remember it at WDW but i only went on it once when i was there.

jrsharp21
09-07-2004, 05:30 PM
I'll be honest..I posted that quote from the book hoping someone could tell me where that potrait was also.

Oh another clue the book says that goes along with the pirate story, there is a picture of a ship in the hallway that turns into a ghost ship.