PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Cone shop

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-06-2004, 01:36 PM
I read that area of Main Street is currently under refurbishment. Please tell me that the cone shop is still open!?!?!?!?!

SCUBAbe
09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
cone shop? Is that the gison girl ice cream place where the elephant is inside? It's been open. The have walk throughs in the boards, so from I could tell all the stores were still business as usual. :)

MrsG
09-06-2004, 02:26 PM
I think she means the small ice cream window next to the lockers.

SCUBAbe
09-06-2004, 02:49 PM
I think she means the small ice cream window next to the lockers.
oh, ok, I never go there...:)

LAsptsfan3
09-06-2004, 02:51 PM
its not been open as the refurb has been going on...but it will probably reopen next summer as it is usually open seasonally.

Polar33
09-06-2004, 02:52 PM
I just checked, and the cone shop isn't on any of the refurbishments lists available to CMs. I do know that the outside of all the buildings around the cone shop are being worked on, so perhaps that is what it meant when you read that it was under refurbishment.

sdfilmcritic
09-06-2004, 02:52 PM
its not been open as the refurb has been going on...but it will probably reopen next summer as it is usually open seasonally.
Yep. I've noticed during August it was being worked on in the morning, but would be open and selling Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt during the afternoon and evening. Can't tell you what DLR will do for the off-season.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Yep I just meant the little window. Oh I really hope it is open. I LOVE their ice cream and it is such a great little spot to sit at one of those tables and relax. It was open off and on during our week trip in May, I consider that off season so hopefully it will be open at least once during the week we are there in November. THANKS!

JeffG
09-06-2004, 03:14 PM
It was opened yesterday evening when we walked past. The hours for this location tend to be fairly strange, though, and whether or not it is opened is kind of unpredictible.

-Jeff

sdfilmcritic
09-06-2004, 03:18 PM
If people want to make life really simple I'll put the year's schedule in to two season categories: off season (Labor Day to Memorial Day) and peak season (Memorial Day to Labor Day). Every [stationary] amusement park usually sticks to this ultimate guideline when planning the scheduling for the year. Give or take a few days if the park wants to be different, for what reason I don't know. But these two holidays are the bookends between the two park seasons.

sdfilmcritic
09-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Oh, sorry to place it in my last post. My season description was in reference to MommyTo2Boys post about considering May the off season. I realized my post would sound like it was coming from left field in a thread about ice cream and frozen yogurt unless I explained why I was talking about a different topic.

LAsptsfan3
09-06-2004, 03:26 PM
dont wanna rain on your parade, but its probably not gonna be open in November; thats okay though cause if you go accross the street to the Gibson Girl ice cream store, you can get the exact same cones/ice cream :)

Animalia
09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
It was opened yesterday evening when we walked past. The hours for this location tend to be fairly strange, though, and whether or not it is opened is kind of unpredictible.

-Jeff

I agree. I love thier Firehouse sundae but when I was an AP I could never seem to match my time at the park with the little windows hours of operation. My last visit was in July and I asked the CM at City Hall what time they opened. I think she told me 6pm. I asked why they weren't open during the day when the weather was hot & ice cream would hit the spot. She told me it's because the sun hits the window there during most of the day and the heat would cause problems with serving the ice cream so they tend to open later when that area cools down. Shoot... now I have a craving for ice cream. :|

cstephens
09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
dont wanna rain on your parade, but its probably not gonna be open in November; thats okay though cause if you go accross the street to the Gibson Girl ice cream store, you can get the exact same cones/ice cream :)

Why wouldn't the cone shop be open in November?

As for the same stuff, not exactly. As I recall, there are some combinations that are available at the cone shop (like the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich) that aren't available at Gibson Girl.

LAsptsfan3
09-06-2004, 07:12 PM
ive always thought that after the summer season was over with and the off-season hours started the cone shop closed for the fall/winter...its not as busy in the parks and the weather isnt as hot. thats been my experience.

as for the ice cream, combinations may be different between the two stores, but its basically the same product at gibson girl and the cone shop...the ice cream sandwiches can be found on odv carts when the shop isnt open anyway.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Oh, sorry to place it in my last post. My season description was in reference to MommyTo2Boys post about considering May the off season. I realized my post would sound like it was coming from left field in a thread about ice cream and frozen yogurt unless I explained why I was talking about a different topic.

It was before Memorial Day that we went.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-06-2004, 10:34 PM

If I have to, I will go there, but it just won't be the same! I am there for a week so I can be sure to walk by and see if it is open, often. :crying:

Cariad
09-07-2004, 06:01 AM
I had no idea that some main street stuff would be shut in November - I understand the refurbs around the park - I am prepared for those when I go, but there's something depressing about shutters and seasonal closures... there was I thinking L.A was year-round sun and fun! :(

sdfilmcritic
09-07-2004, 06:06 AM
I had no idea that some main street stuff would be shut in November - I understand the refurbs around the park - I am prepared for those when I go, but there's something depressing about shutters and seasonal closures... there was I thinking L.A was year-round sun and fun! :(
Dorothy and Toto are not in L.A. any more.

But seriously. I think the cone store closes in the off season for two reasons: 1) It's not in a location that gets noticeable traffic like the Gibson Girl store does, and 2) It does get wet during the winter season (as early as October) and Disney won't be making wads of cash from ice cream and forzen yogurt sales when the weather predictions include rain. :crying: Sad, but true way of life when weather is involved. But, this does mean a rise if coffee sales and there will be coffee and hot cocoa kiosks posted everywhere!

cstephens
09-07-2004, 10:26 AM
ive always thought that after the summer season was over with and the off-season hours started the cone shop closed for the fall/winter...its not as busy in the parks and the weather isnt as hot. thats been my experience.

as for the ice cream, combinations may be different between the two stores, but its basically the same product at gibson girl and the cone shop...the ice cream sandwiches can be found on odv carts when the shop isnt open anyway.

I can't remember what year(s) it was, but I definitely know that I've seen the cone shop open during winter months.

And the ice cream sandwiches that are available at ODV are nothing like those at the cone shop.

CoasterChickie
09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Hate to tell you, but it was closed when we were there this past weekend :crying: Do you like frozen bananas? T ey still have those all over the park. :)