PDA

View Full Version : WOW what a way to ruin your vacation

Pages : [1] 2 3

mugsrb
09-06-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry but seeing this when I walked in the park would just ruin the whole trip! This picture is from a member Darkbeer Just using the pic in my post to say wow this sucks. I live in Seattle WA. I grew up in Lancaster CA so as a kid went to the park alot now only twice a year. Was down erlier his year for the TOT event and will be there in Oct and man if it looks like this I'll be bummbed out. I know getting ready for the 50th but couldn't there be a way to do it without the tarps?

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/photos/8060004-M.jpg

Disney Vault
09-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Its a little depressing but going twice a year is much more than most people so you wont have to wait too long to see it uncovered.

SCUBAbe
09-06-2004, 01:14 PM
It's not so bad. It didn't really bother me at all, but maybe thats because I go often. Snow Whites grotto is all clean and pretty now, so that made me happy.
:)

There are some pictures of the new paint on the bridge on disneyforever. :) It's looking nice.

newhdplayer
09-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Refurb's are a necessary evil, and in some instances, long overdue.

What I don't get is people whining aobut them when they happen, and whining about them when they don't happen. :fez:

Biscuit
09-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Exactamondo player...and I always am perplexed that despite the absolute dearth of information available about what's happening in the parks, people are still surprised by it.

Polar33
09-06-2004, 02:44 PM
When the park is closed, they remove some of the tarps to allow easier working...believe me, you don't want to see the work being done without the tarps. Now that would ruin your vacation.

Tigertail777
09-06-2004, 03:10 PM
dearth of information??? oh puhleeeaze. You know not every Disney fan surf's fan sites. If you went only to the official Disney site you would be pretty far behind news wise, they are notorious for their slow and inaccurate updates. Then there is the problem if you are some of the people on the planet that dont have internet access, not everyone does you know. Yes there are still poor folks who save up for years to visit who have no internet access I can name several people I personally know who fit that description.

My sister went recently I tried to warn her about the refurbs but none of her family would beleive me that it could be that bad since it has never ever been this way in the past NEVER. I even showed them pics from the internet, they still thought I was exaggerating and would not beleive there was so much down at once, and so much in tarps. My sister used to live in California and went pretty often ever since she was a teen, she knew from the past of what the park used to do to expect... or she THOUGHT she did. When all of her family got back they said it was WORSE than I tried to tell them, and they said they will not be back for a very very long time. They were very very shocked that Disney would still charge full price for what they experienced, because as I said she was a Disneyland regular when she lived in California, and had NEVER EVER seen that much under refurb at once NEVER. She still cant beleive it was let go that bad that so many things had to be fixed at once. I try to tell her about Pressler, and Harris and the whole sad story, but she doesnt really care she just knows as a customer, as a GUEST she was screwed because Disneyland has NEVER in her entire life (or mine) had so much under refurb at once, its so mind boggling compared to what they have done in the past (and I mean practically any time in the entire parks HISTORY) that its very hard to beleive. It seems more like it would be one of those net rumors, and not reality. I honestly dont know why they dont just close the place until they are done refurbing they have so much closed already it wouldnt hurt much. For the particular niche of people that dont get to go often, or what might be a once in a lifetime visit, this is very bad for Disneyland's image. I think they are doing a huge amount of damage to their image by remaining open with all this rehabbing.

Susan L
09-06-2004, 03:28 PM
I say give the DL Management two thumbs up for some long over due rehabs regardless if its for the 50th or not. We are also going in Oct. There is way more to DL then the castle and a few rides that need some serious rehab. If you can't keep the magic in your heart because a few things will be closed, then why are you going at all. Its been all over the press and Disney boards for almost a year now that these rehabs are going to take place. Plan another trip when the rehabs will be done. That's why we are going back in Nov 2005. DL is much more then a few attractions. Its the atmosphere, its a state of being. Growing up in South Bay and going to DL all the time as a kid I didn't realize that, it took me moving away to No. CA to finally appreciate that. So rides being closed or not we make the best of what's available instead of whinning about it. We also have a rule when we go to DL whinners get dumped in the toilet, so no more whinning people.

GrumpyUTboi
09-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Tiger,
Interesting comments. I wonder how long the park would have to be closed for refurbs? If the park was closed for any extent period of time how many people would quit DL due to the lack of income? IMHO I personally would rather go to DL while it is being refurbed and then go back next year to see all the progress that has been made. I do understand that many people are only able to go once in a lifetime and that this is not what they had expected.

I will agree with you that the price that we are having to pay is not acceptable, but it is going to have to be acceptable. Seems to me that last year we wre able to visit the park for much less than what we are going to have to pay this year. Does anybody know how much it was to go last year. LY we booked through a travel agent and if we paid for 3 days we got 2 free days, how much this cost I do not know. It is kind of like going to the store and going to the meat section, there is that little section of meat on drastic sale because the meat is going to be past date and they want a quick sale, they should have done this at DL.

Susan L
09-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Ok I just had to do this just to show how rediculous the whinning is about the rehabs.

Current rehab as of today 9-6
Tiki Room
Castle
SMt
Snow White
BTMRR - due to an accident - now open
Is this what all the whinning is about.

Future rehabs this month
Haunted Mansion - for holiday decorations back open around Oct 1
Pirates - closed for one day

Rehabs going on when we will be there last week of Oct.
Tiki Room - no biggy last time we were in the Tiki Room it was in very sad shape.
Castle - no biggy I'll buy a postcard of it
SMt - definately can wait for 2005
Matterhorn - routine rehab, expected
Sm World - no biggy once you've been on it is enough (sorry no offense to those Sm World fans out there)
Columbia - never go on it anyways

What is the problem. I spend alot of money to go there too but this is not going to ruin my vacation in anyway shape or form. The place is 50 years old and had very bad management for far to long, this TLC is way over due.

D-lander 1956
09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I think that everyone is in agreement that everything is long over due for rehab. What is really frustrating, that in addition to so many rehabs being done at once, is that too many things have closed and not replaced ie, rocket rods, subs.

I know as passholders, the hubby and I have commented many times, that we would be sorely disappointed if we had to pay full admission for the amount of attractions that were open, or should I say closed . . .and I might add all the restaurants not in operation.

It is just a shame that the routine manintenance/upkeep hasn't been ongoing instead of "all of a sudden we have catch up to look good for the 50". No whinning here . . . just observations! :) So, please, Susan L, don't flush me, I can't swim! :eek:

Disney Vault
09-06-2004, 05:27 PM
I bet we can expect something to be on those people mover/ rocket rod tracks in the not to far future. I am sure CM Matt will do something with it just based on how much he is doing with the rest of the park. Once the park is up to date with all the painted and overdue rehabs i bet CM Matt will have plenty of time for new amazing things.

leota's necklace
09-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Exactamondo player...and I always am perplexed that despite the absolute dearth of information available about what's happening in the parks, people are still surprised by it.

Just to clarify -- a "dearth" is a lack of information. Is that what you meant?

cstephens
09-06-2004, 06:51 PM
I can certainly see how the scaffolding on the castle could be disappointing to someone who doesn't get to the resort very often and especially had a love of the castle, but having an entire trip ruined just because of that? I would find that very weird if someone were to come back and tell me that.

Durliin
09-06-2004, 07:34 PM
You just cant win geeze...first you have people complain that everything is run down and needs to be Fixed and Rehabed...now that they are doing that people are complaining that there are tarps up and stuff is being fixed...you just cant win I guess there is no happy medium.

mugsrb
09-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Is this what all the whining is about Susan L replied well in a way yes you rude *&^$(

Want to call me a whiner fine but think about your first visit to the park 49 years ago when you were already 50 you old bag. If your 10 and younger you walk in get to the flag pole look north and see the castle now if this is whining then you all suck and have no heart and I'm sure you just go to the park to buy stuff and sell on eBay. The first time you see the castle is a great memory and well I'm sorry but for all the times I have been to the park seeing the castle is a great thing and to have it covered in tarps just plain sucks

Fozzie
09-06-2004, 10:10 PM
I think you have to make the best of the situation. Yes, I can see how a person might be disappointed if a few key attractions were closed for a while. It's totally understandable.

However, allowing a few closures to totally ruin your entire day at Disneyland is just silly. There are always going to be disappointments in life, but the trick is to accept them and enjoy what is still available. ;)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-06-2004, 10:29 PM
dearth of information??? oh puhleeeaze. You know not every Disney fan surf's fan sites. If you went only to the official Disney site you would be pretty far behind news wise, they are notorious for their slow and inaccurate updates. Then there is the problem if you are some of the people on the planet that dont have internet access, not everyone does you know. Yes there are still poor folks who save up for years to visit who have no internet access I can name several people I personally know who fit that description.
They do have a phone number to call for information for those that do not have internet.
While I agree that the castle covered in tarps is not my ideal of what I want to see I walk right down the middle of Main Street, it being that way is not going to ruin my whole trip. AND we only go 2 times a year, even though we are APers. There is so much more to Disneyland than just the castle. The sounds, the smells, the magic. It is all still there. Please don't let the castle being refurbished ruin your trip!

Wendi
09-06-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm still surprised that this can "RUIN" someones entire vacation, but I guess if that is the way you see it from your perspective it's valid to you. I don't understand why you are coming though, if you already think your trip is ruined... I wouldn't go on a miserable vacation. Please don't come.

CoasterChickie
09-06-2004, 10:37 PM
We just got back from DL. We knew in advance that the castle was under the big blue tarp so we purposely took the monorail into the park instead of walking in down Main Street like we usually do. We just tried to ignore that central part of the park. The time when the castle was most obviously missing was during the fireworks.

Two things you can do to "make up" for the castle missing to those who are really disappointed are...go on Soaring Over California since there is a great scene of the castle at the end or go on Storybook Land and look at all the miniature castles and scenes. It was really pretty at night.

Despite the refurbs, there is still plenty to see and do at DL , DCA and DTD. You probably couldn't do it all in 2 to 5 days even if everything was open.

OCCOBRA
09-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I really like seeing them work on the park. I am glad they are caring. Now is the time to go because there are no lines because everyone is waiting for the 50th.

TP2000
09-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry but seeing this when I walked in the park would just ruin the whole trip! [/URL]

Is it too late to get refunds from your travel provider? Maybe a visit to another vacation destination would be in order if this will truly "ruin the whole trip"?

Isn't Enchanted Forest still open on weekends in October? That could be a substitute since Disneyland is now ruined. ;-)

Tigertail777
09-07-2004, 01:28 AM
SusanL, I would be interested to know about where in the "press" it appeared that they would be doing extensive rehabbing for the 50th? I never saw anything here in the Oregonian, and I have been trying to keep my eyes peeled for that kind of thing outside the internet. Was there something in your local paper perhaps? I didnt see anything on any of the local tv news either, heck not even ABC or Disney channel which to me would be natural practically free choices to get the word out. Did they air anything on either of those stations? Did I miss something they may have aired? I do remember seeing several Disneyland ads (one particuluarly sticks in my memory of the teacups spinning :rolleyes: ), but I dont remember seeing anything other than ads that looked like a perfectly normal, well more like "ideal" Disneyland.

Yes I know that the rehabs had to be done after years of neglect I am not disputing that (though the fact a certain someone who is the head of everything didnt bother to check up on the park or the people he hired in so long that things began to fell apart does make me angry). My point is that had the aforementioend certain someone been doing this work all along it wouldnt have to be some major rush to beat a date, a date I might add that was so obviously very important to the park, that any kind of celebration should have been planned YEARS in advance, not MONTHS. I am racking my brain here to think of ANY TIME in the entire parks history that so many things were lined up so quickly in succession to go for rehabs, and I cant think of a single time I read about, heard about, or saw so much done at once. I have been told there were some times in the past that for simular, but not on as wide of scale guest inconveniance, they have actually done comps or discounts for things. Which to me is only right, its a little like paying to see a decently pricey play, in which at the last minute they decided to cancel one part of the middle act, so you still get the story of the play but its not what you paid for. ok stupid analogy but you get the idea. People should not have to pay full price to watch the construction, something I might add that would have in times past been done after hours, or on days when they were closed because it was considered bad show for it to be in the open the way it is now.

Fine, fix what needs to be fixed, but always remember the "show" and do the best to make guests FEEL like they are guests. Someone brought up before the fact that Disneyland Paris spent money to have a special painted tarp made that looked like the castle while it was draped over the castle when THEY had to do rehabs. THATS the kind of thing I am talking about, SHOW the guests that you are doing everything in your power possible to still make their trip special, and they wont mind little inconveniances. Charge the same price, and do next to nothing to show people you care about them as guests and yes you will get hostile angry people. Heck they didnt even put up the alice in wonderland playing cards until later it was the tiniest afterthought to them. To me this is what sets Disney apart from its competition and always has; the caring factor, treating every single person as if they were a guest in your home. I dont know about you, but I wouldnt invite guests over if my house was in the middle of a remodel, and even if I HAD to have them over for some reason, I would do my darndest to make them comfortable with all the work going on. I wouldnt want a guest's memory of my house to be all the inconveniance they suffered from staying there, that would be horrible and they might never want to come back.

Another thing to consider is this; many of us who have followed Disney for years no longer trust them at their word particularly when it comes to things like rehabs. Tiki has been scheduled at least once, and I think twice before for rehabs, but it never happened. If you were to plan a vacation around the word of Disney I have to say there is a pretty high chance you would get left in the lurch. Now if I saw something more widespread that they could be held to like something on tv, or in major news circulation I could beleive that a lot more. A phone call, or website can easily have " may be subject to change without notice" its a LOT harder to waffle when its out there in print or on tv. Look at what being in print did for the teacups, that got a lot of attention once it was in print but on the web it had a lot less impact with the general populace.

All in all I have extremely mixed feelings about the entire Disney company right now. Yes I do still love them, but its tinted with a bit of shock and extreme dislike at what they have become. I aim that statement at mostly the parks/imagineering divisions, as well as the mostly defunct feature animation. I find it hard to hope things will get a lot better because I have hoped too many times in the past and had those hopes dashed. I am trying to hope all this 50th hullaballoo isnt just a quick fix, and that they will continue to keep the parks in pristine condition, but so far I keep finding that too much to beleive right now. You must understand from my childhood to early adulthood I was a "Disney can do NO wrong", and completely forgave any minor blunders on their part, but there comes a time when enough is enough. While its true "alls it takes is a bit of faith and trust", once your trust has been broken more than a few times, its a bit hard to have faith especially when Disney does appear to be forgetting some of the pixie dust.

So yes I am harder on Disney than I probably should be, but in the same vein that you would be harder on someone who misled you several times, after a while you dont even ask questions you just want to be shown concrete proof that what they say is indeed the truth. It looks like they are making strides towards making things better, but it still remains to be proven to me.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-07-2004, 06:49 AM
My mom lives in AZ and before we went in May, she sent me an article that was on the front page of the AZ Republic travel section, regarding all the closures etc for getting the park ready for the 50th celebration, and the castle refurb was listed in there, it stated the castle would be closed for 9 months due to a complete makeover for the 50th celebration.

I also just went back to my scrapbook from my trip in 1989, that was the year before the 35th anniversary, ok yes I save everything, and in my journal part I noted that 4 rides were closed. Not which ones they were although, there was a pictures of Matterhorn with my friend with a sad face standing next to it, so I can assume that it was one that was closed. That refurb takes place annually the SAME time of year, as well as the HM closure for holiday overlay and It's A Small World to get ready for the holiday.

I also found on a trip in 1994 that I had marked out 4 rides on my "program" with the words closed across them. One was Space Mountain. This trip was in August because it was for my birthday, maybe it was 1993, hmm, well anyway you get the idea.

My whole point is that the amount of attractions that are closed for refurbishment now, is not extreme.

Space Mountain is getting completely redone, yeah maybe it needed a few more repairs than normal, but for it to be closed this length of time is not for normal refurbishment, it isn't like they redo the ride annually.

Snow White, I believe, is one of the attractions in Fantasyland that is closed, annual refurbishment. Heck when we were there in May both Alice and Peter Pan were closed. We dealt with it. Alice is my favorite ride in Fantasyland, but I didn't feel my trip was ruined.

Tiki Room, again getting completly redone. Making it better than it was. Again not a normal closure for being down this long.

I will use the party analogy. Say you are hosting a huge party, maybe a 50th birthday celebration at your house. You spend several days getting things to look perfect. Maybe you go out and by some new table linens etc. But you want your house to be perfect. Sure you could have bought those table linens a couple years ago, but you figured the ones you had were fine, they were keeping the table clean and nice, so you kept using them. When you did have dinner parties noone complained to you about your table linens, they ate and left happy. But maybe they complained to someone else, and it got back to you, that you had terrible table linens. So for this 50th celebration you got rid of the old ones and took the time to shop, maybe it took you a month to find the perfect ones for the 50th celebration. So your table looked funny for a month, while you shopped. Maybe DH complained, but you told him how you wanted the perfect table linens. Then, you found them. And you put them on for the party. AND everyone that came to the party thought they were great. You were proud of what you had done. The castle is a huge part of the Disney "view" and I understand that noone wants to see it in tarps. But just as it may take you a month to find some simple table linens, making the castle look completely different, sure isn't going to take overnight. So you say, close the park to get this done. What about the little boy who was just given a month to live, due to cancer and his last wish is to go to DL and it is closed because someone didn't want to see the castle in tarps, and his dying wish is not answered? What about his dream? Instead of just thinking about how a castle in tarps or a ride being closed to make it better for you might RUIN your vacation, think about the people who want to spend their last moments in a place they love. And feel the magic!

Off my soap box now!

mad4mky
09-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Just think how beautiful the castle will be on your next trip! :D

So, instead of seeing the tired, in much need of paint castle this time around...on your next visit you will see the castle in beautiful painted glory. :D

Walt would be happy to finally see the parks being re-furbed...and upkept. :)

If you grew up going to the parks...then I would hope that seeing the park cleaned up to the spiffy way it should be, would please you. :)