PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a DL virgin

Pages : [1] 2

squuggy
09-05-2004, 12:14 AM
My best friend (a DL-virgin, and, to be frank, a bit of a muggles) and I will be visiting the mouse October 6th. Having grown up in SoCal, I know pretty well what to expect, though I've not been for a dozen years.

My question to y'all is -- what can I do to make my friend's first visit magical, memorable, and bluntly to convert him to the DL-loving maniac that I am?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. :fez:

09-05-2004, 05:54 AM
Don't look at me. For years, I have tried to persuade/educate/bribe Mr. 3894 re: Disneyland. No go.

To be crazy in love with Disneyland, I almost think you had to grow up with it.

Hakuna Makarla
09-05-2004, 06:01 AM
oh man I have a few tips!

Please do not rush him, we were so rushed with the crowds and the little one screaming we missed so much. Let him take his time in seeing all around him and taking everything in before moving on.
I think when yo are a seasoned disney person you tend to forget some things and gyrate towards the favorites. I was amazed and taken in by the least and so was overwhelmed and amazed at the big stuff ( priates) and even great moments with mr Lincoln.
Take him to thigs you may think he has seen,its tough to be a bug was so cool!
An fantasmic, I still can not get that out of my head!
So take it slow and easy so he does get over whelmed :)

rentayenta
09-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Like Karla said, go slow.

After I left So Cal and moved to Utah, it had been 3 years before I went back to DL. I was a seasoned veteran too. There was so much that I didn't expect from the sights to smells. I think you will be surprised at how different it is when you haven't been there for while.

Relax, enjoy, browse, and people watch.

DL loving maniacs take time to mature, like a fine wine.

Susan L
09-05-2004, 07:39 AM
October 6th crowds should be down.

If the magic is not within him I sorry to say there will be no conversion. Those unfortunate souls who cannot feel the magic are beyond conversion. If the magic is in him it will take him over. There is not a whole lot you can do in that department. I suspect you will know within the first 15 minutes may-be even sooner if the magic is there. Say nothing and just observe.

Please tell me you are staying more then one day?If not make it the longest day of your life. Go slow and try to absorb as much as possible.

squuggy
09-05-2004, 12:00 PM
No such luck, Susan L: Just October 6th. At this point I plan on getting there for 10:00am rope drop and literally not leaving the park until 8:00pm closure. Ten hours on a light crowd day should be enough for a full immersion baptism.

SCUBAbe
09-05-2004, 12:12 PM
My BF will not got o DL. He thinks I'm crazy for going so much. We have a don't ask don't tell DL relationship now...LOL...if you find soemthing that works let me know..:)

sdfilmcritic
09-05-2004, 12:38 PM
An fantasmic, I still can not get that out of my head!
Suddenly I got this image of Kylie Minogue (the singer) doing a song and dance routine during Fantasmic! with her song "Can't Get You Out of My Head" playing.

I agree with everyone here. Take it slow. But try to hit up as many of the main (and classic) attractions as you can.

Photographer
09-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Find out if he has any favorite Disney movies or characters and then incorporate them. Have his picture taken with them if he's up for it. Maybe do something especially fun if you can afford it. A character meal, one of the tours, si up front on the monorail (free) or anything extra that you know about and he doesn't. If he's outgoing and fun, I think he'll probably ham it up with the characters.

Susan L
09-05-2004, 03:56 PM
No such luck, Susan L: Just October 6th. At this point I plan on getting there for 10:00am rope drop and literally not leaving the park until 8:00pm closure. Ten hours on a light crowd day should be enough for a full immersion baptism.

Well if he ends up having the magic you will have to go back for a longer trip.

sdfilmcritic
09-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Find out if he has any favorite Disney movies or characters and then incorporate them. Have his picture taken with them if he's up for it. Maybe do something especially fun if you can afford it. A character meal, one of the tours, si up front on the monorail (free) or anything extra that you know about and he doesn't. If he's outgoing and fun, I think he'll probably ham it up with the characters.
I had gone up to DLR with some friends about a month ago and of all the times they had visited the park none of them had ever got to ride with the driver up front. With my smart thinking and quick manuevers I got them in the front seat and they had a blast.

P.S. If you newbie friend is a guy I highly recommend to embarass the heck out of him by getting pictures of him with as many of the princesses as possible!!!! Tell the princesses he's single to see if they would add on the embarassment factor for him. :~D There's not many Prince Charmings that wander the park if your friend is a lady. I had one girlfriend of mine ask about that when it was just the two of us visiting the park one time. I embarassed her (evil, I tell you!) by walking straight up to the guest assistance desk near the Hub (in front of the Coke Corner and is it the Carnation?) and asked the lady working there. My friend turned red with shyness and embarassment, but she knows how I can act goofy like this if I'm prompted right. The lady working the guest booth said the only guy characters out and about on a regular basis are the costumed characters and not the face characters.

Space Cookie
09-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Grab an ice cream at Gibson Girl (Fantasia flavor :p ) and go take a seat by Rod's piano (on the left at the end of Main St., refreshment corner). Enjoy! :)

Photographer
09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
There's not many Prince Charmings that wander the park if your friend is a lady. I had one girlfriend of mine ask about that when it was just the two of us visiting the park one time. I embarassed her (evil, I tell you!) by walking straight up to the guest assistance desk near the Hub (in front of the Coke Corner and is it the Carnation?) and asked the lady working there. My friend turned red with shyness and embarassment, but she knows how I can act goofy like this if I'm prompted right. The lady working the guest booth said the only guy characters out and about on a regular basis are the costumed characters and not the face characters.

I like a man who can share his woman with Tarzan (for example). :D And shame on Disneyland for not having the princes readily available ..for..photos...and autographs.

KinLA
09-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Tell him about the hidden mickeys and challenge him to find some!

sdfilmcritic
09-06-2004, 10:14 AM
I like a man who can share his woman with Tarzan (for example). :D And shame on Disneyland for not having the princes readily available ..for..photos...and autographs.
Note to CM Matt: The female gender is most likely 50% of the park's visitors. Make them happy, too!!! If the women are happy, then the men are happy!!! :D

bassett1976
09-06-2004, 11:26 AM
May I recommend (if you have some extra money to spend on the trip) getting some tickets to view fantasmic up in the Disney Gallery. They offer a dessert buffet for you that is incrediable! Eat early that day so you have some extra room. To get the tickets up in the Gallery you have to call something like 60 days in advance, exactly, right at 7 am when they open or they might sell out. The tickets are around $50 each (not exactly sure if this is the right choice but it's close) but for a very special trip it's worth it.

sdfilmcritic
09-06-2004, 12:07 PM
I had inquired about the available seats in the Gallery's Balcony on the morning of the Fantasmic day. I was interested in booking for only one person and they coincidently had one seat available. If you wait until the day of visiting the park you might want to check in with City Hall about availability and purchasing of available seats of the Fantasmic! showing. You might get lucky and have enough seats available for you and your party.

Disneyfreak
09-06-2004, 12:31 PM
The people I hate are the people who not only dont have the magic but take our magic and insult it. I hate people who say Magic Mountain is better etc, and Disneyland is for babies.

sjcivilady
09-06-2004, 01:24 PM
my 2 cents: stay positive and try to have a good time yourself - downplay any negatives (castle covered, rides down) - look forward to seeing them next time. I think I would just give him a chance to soak it all in -- I think I would try not to be "I know everything about this park" - wouldn't it be more fun if you were both encountering new, fun things together? ??do you know what I mean - hard to put into words. Hope you both have a really great day there! :) joan

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-06-2004, 01:26 PM
I think it will be the little things that might help to convert him. Not the big things. Start out small, peak his interest. Take it slow. Take the time to look in the shop windows on Main Street. Get a frozen nana and sit down and enjoy it. Watch the characters interact with other guests. Get some photos taken with characters. Do Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. Ride the train, get mouse ears. ENJOY yourselves!

squuggy
09-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Thnak you, all who contributed their guidance. Any other ideas...?

sediment
09-09-2004, 12:49 PM
My best friend (a DL-virgin, and, to be frank, a bit of a muggles) and I will be visiting the mouse October 6th. Having grown up in SoCal, I know pretty well what to expect, though I've not been for a dozen years.

My question to y'all is -- what can I do to make my friend's first visit magical, memorable, and bluntly to convert him to the DL-loving maniac that I am?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. :fez:
Hold him a lot. Kiss him a lot on the dark rides. Make him want to come back.

Otherwise, there is no forcing of magic that will work. Point out the little things that differentiate DL from other amusement parks. Point out the kids' excited faces.

Wendi
09-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Take him on Pirate's first... he'll be hooked!

CarlieB
09-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Take him on Pirate's first... he'll be hooked!
2nd this - Pirates was my first ever ride at DL and it was magical:)

SallySkellington
09-09-2004, 03:34 PM
My best friend (a DL-virgin, and, to be frank, a bit of a muggles) and I will be visiting the mouse October 6th.

I can't believe I didn't notice the date before.
Blatant advice from a NBC freak- take him on Haunted Mansion Holiday!