PDA

View Full Version : DL on a Budget

Pages : [1] 2

twinmama1999
09-04-2004, 03:32 PM
We will be travelling to DL near the end of October. My husband, myself and two 5 year olds.

We will be definately going on a budget meaning eating continental breakfasts, packing lunches in our knapsacks etc..., but my husband and I have been talking about wanting to do at least one extra thing while we're there, meaning either a character breakfast or one of the guided tours etc.

This will be a three part question:

If you were going on a budget and could only do one activity outside of the cost of your normal park tickets what would you do?

Also, if you were only able to buy one souvenior of your trip, what would you buy?

And, if you could only buy one snack item in the park what would it have to be?

Thanks,

sdfilmcritic
09-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Question One: For young kids I would say a character breakfast.

Question Two: It may not be five year old approved but postcards are the cheapest and most memorable things from the parks. Don't forget they are great collectibles if the postcard is of an attraction that may be forgotten about years down the line. (An example would be the classic TL attractions.)

Question Three: It all depends on your family's tastes. If someone likes popcorn than get the Honey Caramel popcorn in Critter Country. If someone likes fruity snacks than I would recommend anything from a fruit stand or definitely the Dole Tiki bar (if it's open) in front of the Enchanted Tiki Room. But as long as the Tiki Room is closed, the Tiki Bar will be closed too.

pisces
09-04-2004, 03:59 PM
I like the idea of doing a character buffet......all-you-can-eat, and scheduling it mid-day, to afternoon, and just having snacks that you've packed from home, the rest of the day.

You are essentially only spending money to eat at one meal, all you want. And, I believe the character buffets have an AAA discount.

To me, that's a lot less expensive than having three meals out.

sdfilmcritic
09-04-2004, 04:03 PM
I agree with pisces. My family is usually so pumped for the day (as well as on a budget) that all we could manage was one huge meal for the day and then the rest of the time we got a snack if we were hungry again. This saves on time and money.

Christiii
09-04-2004, 04:19 PM
my mom and I save a lot of money on food by sharing An entree (which are HUGE) and a salad, or just getting kids meals if you arnt starving..they are great and just filling enough..you really dont want to get too suffed at the park anyway..slows ya down!! Also they now come in lil DL lunchboxes..Voila!! free souvenier..hehe
also, if you want snacks...try if possible to have everyone get something different..the snack portions are usually big too..so you can share rather than getting sick of one thing and thorwing half of it out.
My best money saver tho is ask for a glass or water...its better than the fountains, has ice and is FREE. Thoser darn sodas are so $$ and full of sugar..you really need all the water can drink while at the park..so everytime ypur dine be sure to ask for all waters...after a day of filling my water bottle at the fountains..the ice and straw is a treat in itself..pathetic huh?? hehe
I think your best souviener will be photos..so get some cheap disposable cameras and buy a cool frame at the photo shop or the emporium..that is something that wont break like a toy, and you will cherish forever!!

oops almost forgot..Mouse ears..they are REALLY cheap!! they are a MUST have..be sure to have them put your name on them too!!

minniemom
09-04-2004, 04:25 PM
I would do a character breakfast at either Goofy's kitchen or Storytellers Cafe. Let me tell you my opinion on each. Goofy's kitchen had a variety of characters, some we never really see in the park. That was really the only plus I got from Goofy's kitchen. Other than that I think the food at Storytellers was a hundred times better! It wasn't as crowded either and we got more attention from the characters (chip & dale & pluto). We actually eat breakfast at storytellers as much as we can during a trip!

As far as souviners I guess it depends on how tight of a budget you are on. We always buy shirts for our kids and then everytime they wear it we talk about our favorite memories from that trip. One trip we also did build a bear and made our kids pick disney outfits. They really enjoyed the experience, but it was spendy and my husband vowed we would never do it again.

If I had to pick one snack I think I would get a churro.

Have fun! We will be there in 23 days!

Tinkerbelle923
09-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Ok Question one I would (and always do) have a charector meal at goofy's kitchen.... a lot of charectors, all you can eat buffet, and we always have a late breakfast (around 10am make priority seating though) it's cheaper than lunch and dinner a lot of food including salmon, primerib even at breakfast!
we then only have a light dinner (usualy a glorified snack) at around 6 or 7 thats it for the day, no need for anymore. and the autographs the kids collect are priceless.

which brings me to the souviner question...last year I bought both of my kids a small backpack (cheap right now with back to school sales) great for carrying waters and small snacks even a change of cloths (just in case) but the great part was I included a sharpie pen in each so when the kids collected autographs the charectors signed right on the backpack...my kids still have and use their backpacks and relive our trip each time. (plus the autograph books that we have done before got lost, ripped, and are expensive. the backpacks were less than $5 each.

third the one snack...thats harder...probably the mickey mouse icecream sandwich...I don't remember how much but I do know that even as our trip came to a close and money got tight i never hesitated on these (plus with mickeys head it's a real disneyland treat, at least my kids think so)

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful trip

leota's necklace
09-04-2004, 04:49 PM
my mom and I save a lot of money on food by sharing An entree (which are HUGE) and a salad, or just getting kids meals if you arnt starving..they are great and just filling enough...

I have to agree here. My friend and I found that splitting a kid's meal of chicken at the Plaza was an incredibly satisfying evening snack. With the judicious use of appetizers and salads you can really stretch one entree as well.

And character meal over tour for five-year-olds, definitely. My hubby and I took the Footsteps tour and even I was getting antsy near the end. Goofy's is a little more raucous and packed with characters -- Storyteller's seems a little more refined to me. I didn't have characters approach me at ST's, while you just can't NOT have everyone stop at your table at least once at Goofy's. If the kids are easily overstimulated, you might want to consider ST's -- but if you think they can deal well with a lot of character interaction, bright colors, and music, take them to Goofy's. You won't need to eat again until much, much later, trust me.

Mmm... Goof Cake....

lisap
09-04-2004, 04:59 PM
If you were going on a budget and could only do one activity outside of the cost of your normal park tickets what would you do?

I would have to go with the character meals, like everyone else. My kids enjoy Ariel's Grotto--the kid's meals are good and come in a little sand pail that can double as a little souvenir. We've seen Minnie, Pluto, Mickey, Goofy there (and Ariel, of course.) Oh, and Chip and Dale. And free cotton candy afterwards! ;)

Also, if you were only able to buy one souvenir of your trip, what would you buy?

I have made autograph books at home before coming to the park--buying Disney stickers at party supply stores and putting them on little notepads or composition books--or even construction paper stapled together--all kinds of ways to do it. The kids can help decorate, or you can present it to them as a surprise when you get there. Then you can let the kids each pick out a cool pen to use--they have adorable princess pens, flashlight pens, every kind you can think of. The autograph book is a special keepsake, and it gives the kids a little extra time with the characters when they meet with them.

They also have autograph books at the park with a space for photos next to the signature. I think this is cool too--helps kids connect the sig with the character.

Popcorn is always good, and goes a long way. We buy the big plastic tub of it and reuse the container at home--another cheap souvenir ;). Bring little plastic baggies to divide it up between family members. The caramel corn is yummy too. Another pretty cheap treat is the marshmallows on a stick dipped in caramel and chocolate. Depending on what kind you get they cost between 2-3 bucks. They are totally filling too--you will never want another sugary thing the rest of the day. :p

SoCalDude
09-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Also, if you were only able to buy one souvenior of your trip, what would you buy?

If stuffed animals are popular in your house I would suggest getting a mid-size one of your favorite character. We got a Mickey for our son (just turned 3) and a Minnie for our daughter (about to hit 4), they really love them a bunch and were about $20 each. They do have smaller ones for cheaper (and larger ones that are more expensive) - but the $20 ones are good size.

If those are not your speed - I would say a shirt. You get much use out of it and it will remind you of your trip every time you wear it - plus its a good way to say 'hey look where I have been' lol.

And as far as the one extra - character breakfast or one of the guided tours, etc - I would think a kid would enjoy the character breakfast muuuuch more than a guided tour.

Have fun!

Wendi
09-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Definitely a character breakfast, not a tour for the kiddos... wouldn't be fun for them.

I am not a huge souvenir person... but I have a few that are really good keepsakes:

Silhouettes - very inexpensive, will last a lifetime... they will probably mean more to you than the kids right now, but they will appreciate them a lot later, I just had my son's done and now I cherish mine even more when I compare his to mine.

Personalized Glass/Mug - you can get these in New Orleans Square at Crystal D'Orleans (I think that's the name), they are also available on Main Street. You pick out a glass or mug with your favorite character, they etch your name into the glass. I still have mine, gives me a special feeling every time I use it. I bought my son an espresso mug because it's just the right size for him (he was 8mos old on his first trip and is 2.5 now).

Mickey Mouse Ears - make sure to get names embroidered on the back!!!

My snack would probably be the sliced caramel apple... but it all depends on what I'm craving at the moment.

sjcivilady
09-04-2004, 06:31 PM
My suggestions for snacks: bbq skewers at the place in Adventure Land or nachos at the Mexican place in CA Adv. We split them. Also, the chili-cheese fries at the restaurant in Frontier Land were really generous too. We didn't buy any sweet snacks - we brought those little candy bars with us. (after all the posts about the honey popcorn, that's at the top of my list for next time, though.) We also didn't do any sodas in the park, just the free ice waters - didn't kill us to go without and we had them in our room if we wanted one.
Souvenir: one of my favorite inexpensive ones are the tiny decks of cards. And if you scrapbook, they have unique stickers that are fairly reasonable and enough to share with others (the flat pkgs, not the rolls in a box). Actually scrapbooks are something you look back at years from now, so they are an important "souvenir". Have fun! :)

tink1234
09-04-2004, 07:59 PM

I would suggest an outside activity like dinner at the Rainforest Cafe or Mideival Times. Character Breakfasts are good. I prefer Goofy's over the Minnie and Friends. We are doing F! buffet this time.

I agree with the mickey ears. The hats are about $6 and include your name. Other ideas, depending on the age of your child or person buying for: Disney Dollars, Mickey shaped pretzels, light twirling things, coloring books, pens, Mickey shaped suckers, autograph book (we took our own). Don't forget maps and ticket stubs also make great souveniors!

We never buy snacks in the park, but I think this time we will try churros. Mickey shaped pretzels are good. We got ours in the shop next to Minnie and Friends...they were $75 a bag.

scatmo
09-04-2004, 08:15 PM
My kids loved Goofy's Kitchen and Plaza Inn for character breakfasts. Interaction was best for us at Plaza Inn with all the Pooh characters and Pluto.

For an inexpensive souvenier--try the penny presses. $.51 total per penny pressed. My daughter loved it so much that I found an older version of the pressed penny holder/book at the outlet store and she filled it up. Once in a great while I allowed a quarter press--but there were so many penny machines that I didn't have to worry about the others. Downfall is having to have all the change on hand.

Our favorite snack was the caramel apples at the candy shop on Main Street. They come with all kinds of toppings over the caramel and the appleas are Granny Smiths (I think) and huge.

PsychDoc
09-04-2004, 09:45 PM
I agree with the previous posters. Character meal all the way. I'd suggest late lunch/early dinner at Ariels Gratto. Great food, huge portions, cotton candy at the end, wonderful character interactio, you can't beat the view (eat outside). Also, flat price so you know for sure how much your bill will be. However, I think it depends on your kids, which characters are the most important for them. If it's the Pooh/Tigger crowd, then Breakfast at the Plaza Inn is the way to go. Minnie, Pluto, Chip and Dale = Ariels. Goofy and various princess/face characters (Aladin and Jasmine) = Goofy's Kitchen. If you do Goofy's definately do late lunch. Much cheaper than dinner. Personally, I think the lunch/dinner combo is the best way to go. Again, it really depends on your family. Personally, we don't really starve in the morning; can wait until lunch. And if I have a good sized lunch, I can get away with a lighter dinner. If you're also looking for cheaper dinner/lunch options (non-character) Pizza Port is great. Huge portions. Usually split a salad and entre with another adult. Prices aren't bad either. As far as souvieners, for 5 year olds, the mickey hat is definately the way to go. They can wear it for the entire trip. Also pretty cheap; less than $10 including the embrodery (no charge for that). Snacks, I'd go the churro route. they're fairly large and you can ask to have one cut in half for your kids. I usually share one with my daughter. Popcorn is also a good share snack. Usually the 2 of us don't even finish the whole box. The free water cup or bring your own water bottles in are also an excellent idea. No sugar and free! If you are concerned about budgets, you can look at MP's resturant guide and get prices for the various resturants.

missm
09-04-2004, 11:35 PM
We will be travelling to DL near the end of October. My husband, myself and two 5 year olds.

We will be definately going on a budget meaning eating continental breakfasts, packing lunches in our knapsacks etc..., but my husband and I have been talking about wanting to do at least one extra thing while we're there, meaning either a character breakfast or one of the guided tours etc.

Thanks,

My one meal depends on whether or not I had kids with me. With kids I would do a character meal. If no kids I would have a leisurely dinner at Blue Bayou (for the ambiance). I would go around 2 or 3 p.m. and make it my lunch and dinner.

My one souvenier would be a picture frame. I would have someone take a picture of my friends and I so everytime I looked at the picture it would bring back good memories.

My one snack would be a churro. But I know it would really be one churro a day. I can't get enough of the things.

09-05-2004, 06:09 AM

With all due respect to those who love character breakfasts, ours at Goofy's Kitchen was (yawn) average or worse. The food is like a souped-up Denny's breakfast buffet, the prices high (and kids are too excited to eat much, anyway), the character interaction nothing you can't get in the park. We prefer to enter the park at opening and rush straight to the Riverbelle restaurant by the Rivers of America. We order the Mickey Mouse pancakes.

I would actually not budget for one special activity. I don't think you need it. The park is so special already. Rather, I would be be Lady Bountiful with little extra snackies inside the park. That stuff adds up.

For myself? Probably something little and sparkly made out of blown glass. For the kids, set a budget. When it's gone, it's gone. Even 5 year olds can handle it, if you tell them they can pick three things.

A lot of people will tell you a churro or popcorn. I go for a mint julep at New Orleans Square. A lot of it is the relaxing and fun ambience.

Have fun and be sure to tell us whatever you decided to do and how it worked out.

rentayenta
09-05-2004, 06:19 AM
All of the above are great ideas. If you are looking for more, here are mine:

There is something about walking around the parking munching on DL popcorn. Churros are also great! I agree with 3894, I'd opt for little snacks throughout the day.

A great souvenir are silhouettes from the shop on Main St. They are $7 and a great keepsake.

Goofy's Kitchen. Our service here has been hit and miss. I read that if you make your ressies towards the end of breakfast or lunch you get better character interaction. This year we are going to try Ariel's. My DH is insisting that we spend two days in DCA so I'm thinking of ways to fill the time ;)

Like PsychDoc said, bring your own water bottles into the park and refill, refill, refill. I have to drink an icy cold Coke when I am eating popcorn while strolling through NOS but I'm kooky like that.

Regardless of what you decide have a magial trip!

Leap for Joy
09-05-2004, 08:53 AM
The penny presses are really fun, and it's something the kids can save up for. An Altoids can full of change is an easy item for a child to carry, and there are penny presses in most of the souvenir shops. This way, your kids can get something at every shop! You can always tell which children are collecting pressed pennies because they walk past all the other souvenirs in their quest for the penny press machine! You can get a list of penny presses from Town Hall.

Character Warehouse is a Disney outlet, and is not far from the park. Check there for t-shirts.

Buy some glow-in-the-dark, or light up items in advance. There are carts full of them at night in the park, and it's irresistable to the kids.

The clearance rack at the Disney store in the mall may be a good source for things that you can hide in the suitcase and bring out when you're at the park. My husband got a light up Tinkerbell star for $2 there yesterday.

I totally agree with 3894! You don't need to budget for something extra. Disneyland is something extra already! The kids wont know they missed a character breakfast. They'll have plenty of fun just being at the park.

GrumpyUTboi
09-05-2004, 09:37 AM
DL on a budget? I didn't know that there was such a thing. As for my family and I we drive to DL, cheaper than flying. Then instead of eating right outside the park, we drive about 5 to 10 miles down on Harbor Blvd and eat at a restaurant there. Much much cheaper. Bring in your own water, much cheaper than DL water. Also rent a locker to keep valuables in while you wonder around the park. We didn't learn of the lockers until the day before we left.

If you have kids especially young ones, buy an autograph book and have the characters sign the book. If you have a camera then take a picture of the kids with the character and then place the pic with the autograph.

lisap
09-05-2004, 09:46 AM
We prefer to enter the park at opening and rush straight to the Riverbelle restaurant by the Rivers of America. We order the Mickey Mouse pancakes.

I would actually not budget for one special activity. I don't think you need it. The park is so special already. Rather, I would be be Lady Bountiful with little extra snackies inside the park. That stuff adds up.

Excellent point--just being at the park is such a treat. Characters can be seen for free all over the park, if that's what your kids are really into. My kids went through the character phase--that's what our day would revolve around, and we never went to a character breakfast to find them.

And you are right--the snacks do add up. My kids will always choose a "regular" (counter service) meal with the hope of a little treat later. :)

twinmama1999
09-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas this has helped so much.

I love the backpack idea, the kids are each getting a little backpack with our flight and hotel package so I will definately do that one.

I'm still not sure what to do on the character meals, I'm thinking we're there for 5 days we'll probably see a ton of characters during that time and we could use the money we'd spend on that meal on snacks and other meals.

I plan on bringing snacks in my suitcase from home, granola bars, fruit snacks, etc.. to try and cut the costs of snacks and such but I know I definately want to try the honey popcorn, churros (we can't get those here and I love them) and the caramel apple slices sound yummy and sounds like something we probably could share.

As for souvenirs, we can't leave without Mickey hats for the kiddos and I really love the penny idea, Ithink I may press a few for myself for my scrapbook. I'm a huge scrapbooker so I generally keep all the memorabellia for my album, tickets everything. Drives my husband crazy.

I wish we could drive down, but it would take most of our time to do so, those of you who live within driving distance to DL, are very lucky. As such we will not have a vehicle while we're there so we will have to eat in the surrounding area within walking distance. It would however be nice to check out that Disney warehouse discount store. Do you think that you can get there by bus or would that be difficult?

Anyway, thanks again everyone I've love reading all your responses and if anyone has any other ones I'd love to hear them as well.

Photographer
09-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Another option is the Happiest Birthday Party. I think it's $10 a person and everyone gets a party hat, special take home cup, a cake to decorate with frosting and sprinkles and a visit from Mickey and Minnie. It doesn't have to be anyone's birthday...you can just pretend. Plus as an added bonus your kids will be super charged with sugar. LOL ;)

Do you have boys, girls or a boy and a girl?

Autograph books are a great idea also the mouse ears. If you want to eat outside the park,there's a McDonald's nearby, Mimi's and Millie's. Oh and if you are at the park, any meal that comes with fries, you can get without and they'll knock down the price.

twinmama1999
09-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Do you have boys, girls or a boy and a girl?

I have a boy and a girl. My daughter is huge into princesses right now so we'll be standing in line to see them. My son just wants to see Buzz Lightyear.

Thanks for the info.

leota's necklace
09-05-2004, 10:37 PM
With all due respect to those who love character breakfasts, ours at Goofy's Kitchen was (yawn) average or worse. The food is like a souped-up Denny's breakfast buffet, the prices high (and kids are too excited to eat much, anyway), the character interaction nothing you can't get in the park.

Wow. I'm very surprised. I would never compare Goofy's kitchen with Denny's, souped-up or no. My husband dreams of the roasted asparagus, and I'm always craving the smoked salmon. I tried the prime rib on our last visit and it was great.

Ditto on the character interaction -- we've had more extensive, thoughtful visits from characters at Goofy's than almost anywhere in the Park. One-on-one time with characters in the Park can be hit or miss, and you often have to wait in line. When we've been at Goofy's, every character in the place has come to us and spent a good amount of time visiting. Once they notice my hubby doodling on the paper tablecloth they often swarm the table and demand portraits.

We justify the price by the selection of food, and the fact that we won't be eating for something like another eight hours. And we've never had bad service. Maybe it helps that we tend to go during off hours and off seasons.