PDA

View Full Version : Why no Pal Mickey at DL?

Mickeyslittlehelper
09-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Probably the best thing we purchased / brought back from WDW was Pal Mickey! He is great, and I think it would be great for the DLR. Info on him can be found at http://allearsnet.com/tp/pal.htm. They could even do one for the 50th that gives history of the park.

What do you think?

sami869
09-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Wow, that actually sounds really cool. I would rent one if we had them here.

Jeremiah
09-03-2004, 07:17 PM
I love my Pal Mickey!!!!! When we got him our first trip we thought how cool would it be to have him in Disneyland. But when we went back to the parks after our trip we figured out why he would not be as cool here. EVERYONE would have one, WDW is mostly out of state guests. Were DL is people with AP's so he would be fun to have but get old fast. Like I said I love Pal Mickey but hearing how tall someone woudl have to be to play golf with SSE after the 10th time made me want to pull his power.

**Off topic**
One of my all time fav things about MK is you can go on Haunted Mansion and everyone in the stretching room is not YELLING along with the Ghost Host.

J

Pilot Mickey
09-03-2004, 09:59 PM
i don't yell along with the ghost host i talk quitely to myself with him :)

jeancbpugh
01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Any changes since this thread started? ie, will my Pal Mickey work now at DL?

When Pal Mickey first came out I thought it was a stupid idea. Who would want to lug a stuffed animal around everywhere on vacation?! Then one day at MGM, I bought one on impulse, hoping to distract my quarrelsome offspring. They didn't give two hoots for poor Pal Mickey, but I found I loved him. Go figure.

merlinjones
01-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Pal Mickey is designed to be a digital spy for the corporate shills, eventually to be used for tracking and surveying your purchases and whereabouts for marketing and accounting and guest control ploys - - who needs all of these snoopy devices (OnStar, VonsCard, GPS cellphones... Big Brother Mickey).

Just say no. ;)

bluepearl
01-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I vaguely remember reading a thread about this once. Didn't the cost of implanting the devices throughout the park exceed the benefits? I can't remember if it was this board I read it on.

Anyhow, I saw a video of it and expected this big Mickey doll, like the 18" plush. I don't know why. But when I saw the actual thing, I was a bit disappointed. Thought it would be cool to purchase though. I forgot why we decided not to go with it. I think we wanted to try it out for a day before purchasing, but the CM told us that our deposit wouldn't apply towards the cost if we used the CM discount to buy.

marktips
01-11-2005, 07:43 PM
DL can't afford Pal Mickey at the moment. It's an extremely expensive system - it requires infared broadcasters throughout the park linked to an informational system.

DL does not have Virtual Tipboard - the backbone of Pal Mickey's intelligent systems. His trivia and bad jokes would be easy enough to install as just projected loops of information in areas - but where he really shines at WDW is in knowing wait times, directing crowds to slow (short wait) attractions, knowing showtimes, and knowing things like FastPass availability.

In order for him to do this, all the projectors (which is really what they are, since they're pulsing infared light) would need to be wired into a massive intelligence and pakr monitoring system. All attractions and shows would need to be accurately wired into the system too - WDW's wait times are measures by FLIK cards and sent directly to Virtual Tipboard and updated immediately. Downtimes are reflected immediately as well - and there's even more. Pal Mickey knows not only when to warn you to get a good parade spot, but also when Character Meets are taking place in your vicinity.

That requires his systems knowing and being correct about wait times, operational status, major shows, parades, and entertainment schedules.

Then, it needs to know what to say to who and when - he will not tell you a ride on the opposite side of the park isn't busy. He will however tell you to get a FastPass for a long wait for a ride or enter the short standby queue.

So, aside from the "loops" of information that the Mickey himself sorts through and tries to not tell you the same bad joke again or trivia, the system itself is dictating when show/parade alerts go out and when to broadcast attraction/entertainment information and where its being broadcast from.

Shortiemetoo
01-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Wow, thank you for the explaination of the difference between DLR and WDW. My friend got Pal Mickey at WDW this year. She also bought her 4 grandchildren mickey plush toys. When she got home her daughter was playing with Pal Mickey and her two year old grandchild started screaming, and ran to her Mother stating "something is wrong with my Mickey!!!! He's dead!!!!! He wont talk!!!!" Needless to say, Grandma says she will bring them each one home next time!!!! :D

got2travel
01-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Interesting thing I overheard this Dec in WDW. A guest was asking about PM, and the CM told her that they were told it works at DL but she didn't know anyone personally who had tried it yet. I knew it didn't work, but didn't butt in.

mightduck
01-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Pal mickey does work in Disneyland... He works when your next to Space, Buzz and the Plaza Inn. All he say is "their working over there on a great ride hope we can come back in July to try it.

GeminiAngel
01-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Pal Mickey is designed to be a digital spy for the corporate shills, eventually to be used for tracking and surveying your purchases and whereabouts for marketing and accounting and guest control ploys - - who needs all of these snoopy devices (OnStar, VonsCard, GPS cellphones... Big Brother Mickey).

Just say no. ;)

Just a wee bit paranoid? maybe?

Mickeyslittlehelper
01-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Pal mickey does work in Disneyland... He works when your next to Space, Buzz and the Plaza Inn. All he say is "their working over there on a great ride hope we can come back in July to try it.

Really!!??!?? Thats awesome! I hope they are referring to SM open for July :~D