PDA

View Full Version : A few tidbits from my last visit to the DLR

Darkbeer
09-02-2004, 08:49 PM
A second version of the new color maps have bene printed, no longer are the individual FASTPASS attractions listed in the explanation of the feature, instead it states "Check your TIMES Guide for a list of Disney's FASTPASS attractions."

The Disneyland Map two ads are the Kodak one, plus a plug for Tower of Terror at DCA.

The DCA version no longer shows Millionaire, they fixed the spelling of Pacific Wharf (The first version had it as Pacific Warf). The 2 ads are the Kodak one, and now instead of a plug to see Snow White at DL, it is an ad talking about the "Happiest Faces on Earth... A Disney Family Album" photo submission. (There are also plenty of additional signage throughout the parks plugging the need for more photos...)

It was weird walking thru the Hollywood Backlot area and seeing Millionaire, SSL and Aladdin plus Between Takes all closed, a few people were watching D.U.H. though.

A couple of beer related mentions... You are now allowed to remove beer from Taste Pilots Grill and walk around the park with it. (Previusly, due to the way they originally set up the liquor licenses you had to drink it in the seating area). They serve Bud and Bud Light on tap at just $4.29, the best price in the park.

The Cove Bar still serves 7 types of Karl Strauss beer on Tap, but now also serve MGD and Miller Lite on tap. Also, the Cove Bar is going back to 3 days a week operation, from 2:30 to 8 PM Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. (The Cove Bar will be open on Labor Day).

Over at Disneyland, even though it has been a couple of weeks since they moved the Splash Mountain FASTPASS machines, it still looks like a Pooh area..

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/209883/10/8061656

Downtown Disney had a special visitor on Wednesday, Rick Wetzel of Wetzel's Pretzels stopped by to inspect the store... lucky he came in the morning, as in the afternoon, the fire alarm in the building went off, closing down Build-a-Bear, Department 56 and Wetzel's Pretzels. It occasionally goes off when a delivery truck revs it's engine too much in the loading bay.... It was interesting to see the Build-A-Bear staff playing games with the kids on the sidewalk while waiting for the stores to reopen (a nice touch!)

Also, they have changed the announcement on the Mickey and Friends tram talking about the One Day ParkHopper ticket on the way into the park.

greinstein
09-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Just to let all know, went to the parks yesterday late afternoon and evening--literally no crowds.

At DCA 5 min wait for Rapids. WALK ON TO ToT at 5:30!!!!!

Over to DL. 15 min at Indy. Walk on to Pirates and Big Thunder. After dinner, 5 min at Autopia. Walk on to Teacups. 5 min at Materhorn.

Disappointed, no Fantasmic, but can understand with no crowds.

mjformenotyou
09-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Is his last name REALLY Wetzel?
I sure hope so.

tink1234
09-03-2004, 06:48 PM
It was weird walking thru the Hollywood Backlot area and seeing Millionaire, SSL and Aladdin plus Between Takes all closed, a few people were watching D.U.H. though.

:eek: Alladins closed?!?

Darkbeer
09-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Two comments, the Wetzel's Pretzel chain is run by two brothers, both of which last name is Wetzel's..... Sorry, I can't remember the 2nd name....

Aladdin is now closed every Tuesday and Wednesday (5 day a week operation), this might change during the last 2 weeks of December, but they would have to get more folks in rehersal, so this might continue until next summer....

poohpal
09-04-2004, 01:01 PM
The Cove Bar still serves 7 types of Karl Strauss beer on Tap, but now also serve MGD and Miller Lite on tap. Also, the Cove Bar is going back to 3 days a week operation, from 2:30 to 8 PM Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. (The Cove Bar will be open on Labor Day).

Is the Cove Bar part of Ariel's restaurant? I've heard it has an outdoor area that's great for kickin' back and people-watching...if this is it, do you have to order a meal in the restaurant or can you just enjoy the adult bev and appetizers?

I'm new to this, so I hope I didn't screw up this post. Thanks!

Darkbeer
09-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Is the Cove Bar part of Ariel's restaurant? I've heard it has an outdoor area that's great for kickin' back and people-watching...if this is it, do you have to order a meal in the restaurant or can you just enjoy the adult bev and appetizers?

I'm new to this, so I hope I didn't screw up this post. Thanks!
First off, Hi! and welcome, and you did just fine....

The Cove Bar is "part" of Ariel's Grotto, but seperate.

You can enter the bar by going thru the Main Entrance (if there is a wait for the restaurant, just let the host(ess) know that you want to go to the bar, and walk forward, and Don't take the stairs, but go thru the double doors, which should be open), or you can enter through the back gate, located at the end of the Pier boardwalk, across from the Catch-a-Flave Ice Cream store.

The bar is open to all ages, though you must be 21 or older to sit along the bar and to order Adult Beverages. They offer a full bar, they make excellent Martini's, plus they have 12 beers on tap (plus others in bottles).

They have an appitizer menu, 2 of my favorites are the Lobster Nachos, and the Spinch and Artichoke Dip, both large and easy to share. You cannot get the food served downstairs. You are not required to order foo, you can just get a drink (or two):fez:

FYI, if you do eat downstairs, you can get drinks made at the bar delivered to you (when the Bar is open).

Hope this helps.....

poohpal
09-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks, Darkbeer! :p My DH and I are going in Dec., think we'll check it out.

Darkbeer
09-04-2004, 11:32 PM
I took a picture of the appitizer menu today...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/211698/20/8137874

As for how to enter the area...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/211698/2/8137864

or (left side)

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/211698/2/8137864

A couple of other pictures are located in my quickie photo update...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/211698

poohpal
09-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Wow, thanks again, Darkbeer. Great photos! :fez: