PDA

View Full Version : Pictures on rides

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Vault
09-02-2004, 04:36 PM
On what rides (if any) are you allowed to take pictures? I know at the HM they say no flash photography but what other rides. I will be doing a project on DL and need to take as many pictures as possible on my next trip. Thanks.

MrsG
09-02-2004, 04:38 PM
NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY PLEASE! (yes, I'm shouting :D )

SCUBAbe
09-02-2004, 04:41 PM
well, pretty much not in any inside rides....which is most of them. I see people take pictures inside rides, but I ususally mention something not to nice and they stop...:)

disneymania
09-02-2004, 04:47 PM
I know it's really bad, but I'm one of those awful people who take pictures on the rides. But I've only done it on really really slow days, so the wait for people is very limited. I've never had any other riders complain, but did get "yelled" at on HM. So I guess you can risk it, if you don't mind being told no flash photos.

missm
09-02-2004, 04:56 PM
well, pretty much not in any inside rides....which is most of them. I see people take pictures inside rides, but I ususally mention something not to nice and they stop...:)

Ooh I wish I had the courage to say something not so nice to people taking pics inside rides. On my last trip almost everytime in POTC someone took pictures. On one time through a group of people took pictures of each other in front of all the scenes. They were right in front of us. I need to be brave next time and say something. That drives me nuts when people take pics inside the rides.

Disney Vault
09-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Can you take pictures on any ride as long as you dont use a flash or do they still not want any camera on some rides?

Uncle Remus
09-02-2004, 05:01 PM
I took pictures on Pirates, splash, and indy and they didnt care at all. they were only concerned about my dropping the camera on indy. Also I took one on tOwer of Terror and they didnt yell at me but... I think they would of if they save me take more then one because they actually say none in the beginning and it isnt on a prerecorded track. The only problem was on HM. The CM's that work there dont seem as nice as the ones that work on splash or pirates... but thats just my opinion from when I was there last. (dont hurt me)

Jon Vincible
09-02-2004, 05:36 PM
I believe you are allowed to take pictures on most of the rides as long as they don't have a flash. The flash from a camera can ruin the ride experience for other riders. This is why (i believe) they don't want you taking flash pictures. Also, as far as video recordings go, they don't like you taking video on the movie attractions (it's tough to be a bug, honey i shrunk the audience, etc). This may be because of copyright issues or something like that. Also, since the ToT library video is a movie thing, they won't let you tape that either.

leota's necklace
09-02-2004, 06:55 PM
I took pictures on Pirates, splash, and indy and they didnt care at all. they were only concerned about my dropping the camera on indy. Also I took one on tOwer of Terror and they didnt yell at me but... I think they would of if they save me take more then one because they actually say none in the beginning and it isnt on a prerecorded track. The only problem was on HM. The CM's that work there dont seem as nice as the ones that work on splash or pirates... but thats just my opinion from when I was there last. (dont hurt me)

Remus, you don't need to worry about the CM's, you need to worry about me, if I'm riding with you and you use a flash inside a dark ride.

Not only does the flash ruin the ride for the other people inside the building, it can also destroy many of the ride's illusions, especially those that depend heavily on optical trickery like those in the Manse.

I wish I had a dollar for every Einstein who took a flash picture of the ballroom ghosts. Same for the Grand Canyon dioramas. Jeezy creezy.

Pop-up lighted video screens are also incredibly annoying. And spinner toys, and laser pointers.

Ach, I'm feeling all crochety now.

Tigertail777
09-02-2004, 10:01 PM
hint: use 800 speed film, shutter set on maximum or close to it. If you have a light meter test for lighting in a darkened area before boarding like the changing portrait line in HM. this way if you have very steady hands (or on some rides use a tripod if you have the patience to hall one around) you can get decent pictures without a flash. The one single place I feel its OK to use a flash on a ride is the skeleton steering the ship wheel on pirates because it already has a thunder lightening strobe effect going on, and a flash doesnt detract from the effect. You can actually get decent photos of movie screen attractions without a flash too, I got some pretty nice ones of soarin', just make absolutely sure that flash is turned off when you do it.

sdfilmcritic
09-03-2004, 12:16 AM
I wish I had a dollar for every Einstein who took a flash picture of the ballroom ghosts. Same for the Grand Canyon dioramas. Jeezy creezy.
I noticed this on the last Sunday in August. I was wondering what the person was thinking when they were trying to take a picture of the Dinos on the railroad train with an automatic flash. I would love to see them at the photo developers checking through the finished photos and noticing the huge white blur on the dino pic from the reflective glass.

mjformenotyou
09-03-2004, 05:16 AM
hint: use 800 speed film, shutter set on maximum or close to it. If you have a light meter test for lighting in a darkened area before boarding like the changing portrait line in HM. this way if you have very steady hands (or on some rides use a tripod if you have the patience to hall one around) you can get decent pictures without a flash. The one single place I feel its OK to use a flash on a ride is the skeleton steering the ship wheel on pirates because it already has a thunder lightening strobe effect going on, and a flash doesnt detract from the effect. You can actually get decent photos of movie screen attractions without a flash too, I got some pretty nice ones of soarin', just make absolutely sure that flash is turned off when you do it.

My stepdad reminds our family bimonthly, whenever we discuss camera issues, about how the one time he took a beautiful picture of The Country Bears Jamboree without a flash by planning the shutter speed and using high speed film. He reminds us so much that now we just mock him about it.
The end.

sdfilmcritic
09-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Ya, but you should have my pictures of DLR rides! j/k I don't exactly have a huge collection of DLR ride photos lying around right now.

disneyperson
09-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Remus, you don't need to worry about the CM's, you need to worry about me, if I'm riding with you and you use a flash inside a dark ride.

Not only does the flash ruin the ride for the other people inside the building, it can also destroy many of the ride's illusions, especially those that depend heavily on optical trickery like those in the Manse.

Pop-up lighted video screens are also incredibly annoying. And spinner toys, and laser pointers.

Ach, I'm feeling all crochety now.
I agree with you on all points. NO FLASH PHOTOS!!!!! It is enomorously rude to everyone else on the ride.

Pirate Girl
09-03-2004, 01:50 PM

I took some friends on Haunted Mansion whom had never been to DL before, and on HM they pulled out their cameras during the ballroom scene. I whispered to them to turn off their flash or it would mess up their picture. Needless to say, they didn't. After getting cussed at by someone in the DB next to us, and receiving a less profane but equally stern warning from me, they sheepishly put away their cameras. When we got off the ride they wanted to know why they couldn't use flash cameras on the ride. 20 minutes later I finished my lecture about ride etiquette and the special effects used in the ballroom scene, my friends were just staring a me. Finally one of them said, "Jeeze Kelly, who died and made you queen of Disneyland?" :fez:

Pirate Girl
09-03-2004, 01:55 PM
I would love to see them at the photo developers checking through the finished photos and noticing the huge white blur on the dino pic from the reflective glass.

There's probably thousands of copies of that picture in landfills all over the world. (It's a small world after all....) :D

SallySkellington
09-03-2004, 02:17 PM

Not to mention that when your eyesight is adjusted to the lighting on a dark ride, the flash can just about blind you.

sdfilmcritic
09-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Not to mention that when your eyesight is adjusted to the lighting on a dark ride, the flash can just about blind you.
My eyes, my eyes! I'm melting! Oh, what a sad little world (after all)!

Vegitabeta
09-04-2004, 03:15 AM
Last time I was on POTC there was this girl taking a flash photo on just about every scene of the ride...I was almost blinded! When I take photos on rides I make sure the flash is off, but usually it's too dark to get a good photo anyway.

rentayenta
09-04-2004, 06:17 AM
We have taken video of IASW and POTC. They turned out great and we didn't get in trouble.

SCUBAbe
09-04-2004, 09:07 AM
We have taken video of IASW and POTC. They turned out great and we didn't get in trouble.and if it's done using the eye piece and not the ultra bright screen out it would not be a problem for anyone else trying to enjoy the ride either. :) The video cameras ususally don't bother me, but the flash photography is a pet peeve of mine.

by the way, my avatar picture was taken in the haunted mansion without a flash. This was at the walk through part. It's kind of harder to take them on a moving ride, because the shutter speed usually slows done and they blur and thats if your holding the camera still...LOL

Disneyfreak
09-04-2004, 01:30 PM
If you take pictures on Splash Mountain there is no reason to get mad. But you have to be really ignorant and rude to take pictures on a dark ride like pirates and HM. I have no problem telling people what they can do with their cameras when they do that on pirates and hm. If you have a camera with film, just buy 400 speed or higher film and you wont need flash.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
09-04-2004, 01:38 PM
when i was lyounger i used to think that the flashes on the cameras would mess up the animatronics, and thats why some of them broke down and had to get fixed...

blast those black hearted picture people!

Disney Vault
09-04-2004, 03:09 PM
What about with a digital camera? Can you set the sutter speed or something to make it like the 400 speed film?

sdfilmcritic
09-04-2004, 03:21 PM
What about with a digital camera? Can you set the sutter speed or something to make it like the 400 speed film?
Depends on how technically viable your digital camera is. Just like the film camera counterparts there are limitations on certain cameras. If your camera (digital or film) leans more toward the point and shoot end of the spectrum you won't have any shutter speed options to choose from. That's why they call it point and shoot. These types are the cheapest ones to buy and are very common to see in public. Toward the other end of the spectrum (and the more expensive ones too) are the SLR/ZLR types of camers. The "LR" stands for Lens Reflex and the S is for single and the Z is for zoom. The S cameras are commonly produced for interchangeable lenses when Z cameras are fixed lenses that simply zoom in and out but cannot interchange. There are exceptions to this, I think. But anyway the closer you get to the SLR end of the spectrum the more options the user gets to adjust the way the camera takes the picture. These options include adjust the shutter and film speed or selecting what the aperture of the lens will be. Since most point and shoot film cameras give you the decision of what speed of film to choose and (if it's built in) a chance to zoom in at the press of a button. Unless there have been changes in technology that I'm not aware of I know quite a few of the low end, point and shoot digital cams don't give you many options in camera control in how the pic is taken. I hope this helps.