PDA

View Full Version : Rainy days

Pages : [1] 2

thinktink
09-02-2004, 09:42 AM
If it rains, do they close all the rides, or just certain ones? Do they leave the park open to browse the stores and shop? I have never been there in the winter, going in Dec this year, just curious. :confused:

Pedro2NR
09-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Some attractions are closed down. Shows are cancelled on rainy days, but the fun goes on! I enjoyed a day when it rain at the DLR. Rides like Splash continue on. :)

Vegitabeta
09-02-2004, 10:01 AM
It's just as fun in the rain, because that's when the yellow poncho's come out! :)

disneyperson
09-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Some of my fondest memories are of Disneyland in the rain, sometimes really pouring rain. Most of the rides stay open. The only big difference is that they don't run the parades in the rain and there aren't many costume characters around.The plus side is that there are very light crowds and short lines if any.Watch out if you ride the bobsleds in the rain. The water pools in the bottom of the sled and sloshes into your shoes!Splash mountain in the rain is a hoot. Hee-hee.

GreenDragon
09-02-2004, 10:48 AM
I've never been in the rain. :crying: Which rides do they close, if not the coaster types like Matterhorn?

CoasterChickie
09-02-2004, 10:54 AM
It rained when I was there during spring break. The ponchos were blue and they weren't free like in the past. They cost about $13 a piece if I remember right so you might want to take along your own just in case. A lot of the rides were still open, but the ones that were more "exposed" to the outdoors were closed for a litttle while. The minute it stopped raining and California Screaming was open I was on it!

rentayenta
09-02-2004, 10:54 AM
We to DL one very rainy Feb. Luckily we brought our own ponchos and umbrellas. We were literally the only ones eating lunch in The Village Haus when Belle, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White strolled in. My girls got about 20 minutes of uninterrupted time with the princesses. Priceless.

On the same trip, before The Country Bears were extinct, we got to spend time with Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger while waiting for the show. It was us and two other families. We took so many pictures because it was raining and they had no where to go. This was great because the only characters my DH really likes are the Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore.

We were soaked, the park was empty and we had the best character interaction ever.

The Tea Cups, Dumbo, Storybook were all closed.

GreenDragon
09-02-2004, 11:00 AM
That's all? Aww, man, now I want to go during the rain! :fez:

sjcivilady
09-02-2004, 11:29 AM
You can get really cheap ponchos (approx $1) at both Target and Walmart in the camping section. We bought the Disney ones last December and they were nice, but bulky to carry around (we didn't get a locker that day)

DisneylandForever
09-02-2004, 11:58 AM
One of the coolest memories I have is riding the Matterhorn in the rain during a lightning storm. This was years ago. I remember the pavement between the Matterhorn and the Tea Cups was so slick, I would run real fast and stop, then proceed to slide about ten feet standing up! I think I kept doing it over and over until my mom finally forced me to stop. :p

sami869
09-02-2004, 01:14 PM
My favorite time to visit Disneyland is when it's raining. I perfer rain over heat any day and get really bad headaches from the sun so I love the rain in general. The streets and the shops aren't crowded the rides have little to no line, it's just wonderful. I don't recall them shutting down many rides.

Susan L
09-02-2004, 01:18 PM
No they don't close all the rides and rainy days are the best days to be in the park. There is hardly anyone there so its almost like you have the park to yourself. Give me a rainy day anytime at DL.

jrad32
09-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Rain is the best at DL. All those people who think they will melt head out, leaving only us brave souls behind.

missm
09-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Does it rain alot in Dec. in DL? I am from Northwest Washington so I am trapped in the rain for 10 months of the year. I hope it doesn't rain a bunch while I'm there. I bought a poncho from Grizzly River Outfitters (I think that's the name) last March for $7.50 plus tax. I thought that was pretty cheap.

SteveK
09-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Does it rain alot in Dec. in DL? I am from Northwest Washington so I am trapped in the rain for 10 months of the year. I hope it doesn't rain a bunch while I'm there. I bought a poncho from Grizzly River Outfitters (I think that's the name) last March for $7.50 plus tax. I thought that was pretty cheap.

It varies from year to year but we really don't get alot of rain any month of the year. It should be cold in the evenings though so pack warm clothes.
-Steve

missm
09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Oh the cold doesn't bother me at all. It gets pretty cold here in the winter. I can't wait to get on a plane and get away from the weather up here for a week in December. Actually rain doesn't bother me either. I guess growing up in the northwest will do that to you though. We are actually having an unusually rainy time up here right now. I hope it's not a precursor to how this fall and winter will be. :rolleyes: Does anyone know where I can check the average rainfall in SoCal (during the rainy months) or does anyone know what it is?

Wendi
09-02-2004, 04:57 PM
I know this is going to sound like it shouldn't be a "fond" memory, but one of my best memories of Disneyland as young child was a rainy day in May when my dad took my sister and I on the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse... he kept yelling at us not to run down the stairs, but we were far too giddy for that! So my sister slipped and fell down the stairs, split her lip open and we had to go to the Disneyland Hospital. We both thought it was so cool!!! hahaha... yeah, I guess we were weird kids!

We've been hearing that this will be an El Nino year, so we are probably in for a lot of rain this winter. I am hoping that we get one light day during our trip in November... but I don't want it to rain the whole time, so maybe El Nino can just wait until December to show up...

pisces
09-02-2004, 06:11 PM
I thought I was the only one who loved rain.

In fact, I'll be upset if it doesn't rain at least one of the days I visit, in December.

The very last time, 25 years ago, I visit Disneyland......it was raining, that's my very last memory, and a good one.

In fact, the very last theme park I've visited, Knotts Berry Farm in 2001, it was raining during a February weekday. It rained all day, but even Knotts does not close their attractions!

Yes, December is a rainy month in Southern California, or can be. And, I'll be enjoying every minute of it.

Rain adds a kind of romantic-misty atmosphere-background, heightens your memories, cuts down on crowds, and makes things all the more cozy once you get inside!

KinLA
09-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Rainy days make for much better photo results compared to very bright sunny days.

SCUBAbe
09-02-2004, 09:06 PM
My favorite times at the park are when it's raining. I remember being at DCA and they didn't even make us get off the rides. We got to ride until we had enough..:)

SarahShep
09-02-2004, 09:20 PM
It rained in June while we were there this year...We were at DCA, though, but it was AWESOME because the line for Grizzly River Run completely disappeared! There was literally no wait and we kept getting off and getting straight back on about 5 times in a row. I don't understand why people shy away from the water rides when it's raining...it's the PERFECT time to get on them, because you're going to get wet one way or another, so you might as well just do it and do it big! :D

I love the rain and it's 50 times better while you're at Disneyland.

Oh yeah, and you can get the GRR ponchos at that shop right outside of the entrance/exit. They aren't too expensive...about $3-5 if I remember right and they're pretty good quality. I still have mine and plan on keeping it around for my next trip!

bassett1976
09-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Don't go to DL in the rain during the week between Christmas and New Years. It's still REALLY busy. My wife and I left after about an hour of fighting to get anywhere and it was really coming down hard for Southern CA standards.

mystycalchyk
09-07-2004, 01:09 PM
It usually rains when we are there. Our ponchos are always with us just in case ;)
Word to the wise....they usually, actually pretty much always will close California Screamin'...but one time we were on it. It was juuuuuust barely sprinkling so the coaster was still running. By the time we got around the bend and were preparing to take off, the sprinkles got a bit heavier...by the time we came through the initial tunnel it was flat out raining. You have no idea how bad rain hurts when you are zipping along a roller coaster track. Everyone was dying. It feels like a billion little needles slamming you in the face. The picture snapped from the ride showed everyone trying their best to shield their faces from the painful droplets.

Ouch.

Dont ever ride a roller coaster in the rain. :(

Other than that we are quite used to the rain and actually enjoy it :D

stitchlvr
09-07-2004, 07:10 PM
The Tea Cups, Dumbo, Storybook were all closed.

The only other addition I can think of is Alice. They close Alice because the outside track gets slippery.

I've had some of my best times at Disneyland in the rain!

Melaniee
09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
I love rainy days at Disneyland. :D Except of course when they close early because of it. Grr...they don't still do that, do they? I went once as a kid, it rained a lot in the morning and afternoon, was clear and beautiful by evening when they made the announcement they would close early. It was a bummer, since it was our once-a-year birthday trip.