PDA

View Full Version : Bats Day

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jack Skelly
09-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I was at Disneyland over the weekend and apparently it was "Bats Day" on sunday where I saw at least a 100+ gothic dressed visitors.

I talked to a few of them and they told me it was bats day and the "Bats" community consists of about 1000 or 2000 member, cant remember.

Does anyone know the community forum they use online or how they made the announcement to eachother? I would like to check it out.

drjones
09-01-2004, 02:36 PM
aw, man!!! I missed it this year. I totally forgot

anyway,

www.batsday.net is the official site

SCUBAbe
09-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I was there also. It was fun. :) My daughter loves it. She said next year she will dress more goth..:)

GreenDragon
09-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Okay, I have to ask: did anyone visit the Black Market and see what was there? A friend of mine said he sent some coffin purses to sell there, but I couldn't go, so I didn't get to look for them. :crying:

He also supposedly sent a Zombie Tinkerbell. :eek:

ExPeRiMeNt629
09-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think sub-cultures meeting at Disneyland all dressed up and all is kinda a BAD SHOW, i mean when your in Disneyland your their to see WALT'S Show, Disney is who puts on the show. Not a bunch of Kids and adults with nothing better to do then waltz around trying to copy the Haunted Mansion. And the same goes for Ravers to, i mean half those people probably never even been to a rave, their cloths were too brand new. And as for goths, Why do they take something as fun as Nightmare before Christmas and turn it into something Dark and sinister. And in my own PERSONAL oppinion I think the trend is way played out, along with the wanna be punkers, wb ravers, wb rockers, wb greasers. Don't think i'm bashing cause you think i'm a preppy or something, cause i'm not, i'm far from preppy. What i just don't undestand is why in the world do these people call them self something that has to do with a period of architiure, that is way far from Evil and sinister. I do admit some of the girls can look hot, and tasteful, but alot of them just look like they came off or Santa Monica blvd.

Once again though, Disney is the creators of the show, and Bat Day, Raver Day, etc, is a HUGE and MAJOR Show DISTRACTION.

cemeinke
09-01-2004, 10:43 PM
I love Bats Day in the Fun Park and have been going for the last 3 years. Here are my pics from the latest event:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4218323&a=31393971&f=

Honestly, I think if anything is bad show, it's the tourists and regular guests - there's no theming in their rather dull atire. Things like Bats Day and Mouse Adventure gives one the opportunity to dress things up a bit and have some fun.

Oh well Gay Day is just around the corner, red shirts are their only costume, but I'm sure they'll have some fun as well.

sdfilmcritic
09-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Once again though, Disney is the creators of the show, and Bat Day, Raver Day, etc, is a HUGE and MAJOR Show DISTRACTION.
Well in that case the Admissions CMs need to stop every family at the front door and force the kids NOT to wear those cute little Princesses outfits in to the park. After all those outfits on the little kids are just so darn cute that it's distracting my attention away from the park!!

P.S. I was there on Sunday when Bats Day was in full swing. I saw a heck of a lot more than 100 Goths walking around. I would have to say there were in the hundreds. I'm not a Goth, and I haven't mixed in with the Goth crowd very much, but I find it interesting the park would allow a day for these people to come in and be themselves (posers or not) and have a good day at Disneyland.

cemeinke
09-01-2004, 11:10 PM
P.S. I was there on Sunday when Bats Day was in full swing. I saw a heck of a lot more than 100 Goths walking around. I would have to say there were in the hundreds.
I believe the count was 1120 at the 9:00 PM Mansion meet. As for Bats Day - it's not a Disney sponsored event so it isn't them promoting the day, though I'm sure they appreciate the boost in attendance.

Kitsune_SD
09-01-2004, 11:19 PM

Hmmmm. Is it that much more of a distraction than the tour groups or families that all dress the same to identify each other? If it really is for you then I suggest you avoid going to Disneyland on bats day and choose one of the other 364 days that the park is open...

Wait, just realized you are a CM - maybe you should just ask not to work on bats day if your prejudice runs that deep.

dasrock
09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
once you go goth you can't go back :cool:

Brian Noble
09-02-2004, 03:23 AM
What? Kids dressing differently? Grownups shocked? Who'd have thunk!

Next thing you know, the Youth Of Today will be listening to music that The Establishment thinks is dangerous, too!

cemeinke
09-02-2004, 06:37 AM
What? Kids dressing differently? Grownups shocked? Who'd have thunk!
Heh heh - there were quite a few "big kids" among the Goths. Others brought their kids for the Childrens meet at the Sword & the Stone ceremony.

disneyperson
09-02-2004, 10:33 AM
my daughter and I were there for Batsday. I'm 49 she's 15. We had a great time. we talked to a lot of goths and regular folk alike and everyone we spoke to thought it was a fun day. Lots of people asked to have their photos taken with my daughter (who looked quite lovely in her featherd hat and long flowing green/blond hair.) And as for the behavior of the goths, they went out of their ways to behave and not cause difficulties for anyone else. If anyone was actually paying attention to their behavior, they would have seen a bunch of fun and ecentric people laughing, snapping photos, renewing friendships,and forging new ones. Very, very, Disney. I've seen much more offensive clothes on "regular" people, like the guy we saw last week with the drawing of the naked woman and the caption" I love big jugs" on it, or the worst one I've seen, a guy last summer who had a t=shirt that actually said in huge letters "F...... You" Now he should have been refused admittance.
Oh yeah, for the first question on the thread, you can find out all about batsday at batsday.net

GreenDragon
09-02-2004, 10:38 AM
I find it distracting when those foreigners insist on dressing funny. Disney should require them to change into approved t-shirts and blue jeans and act like AMERICANS. </ sarcasm> :rolleyes:

Brian Noble
09-02-2004, 11:19 AM
cemeinke: As far as I'm concerned, being a kid has nothign to do with chronological age. Very different than being a child.

disneyperson
09-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Just an amusing note about last weekend, my daughter wore her veiled 1950's era style hat on saturday as well as on batsday. On Saturday , several CMs commented on her, "crazy" headgear, I thought it was kinda funny in a place where it's commonplace to see people walking around with giant stuffed birthday cakes and purple and pink striped cats on their heads. Hee-hee

SweetAurora
09-02-2004, 01:39 PM
my daughter and I were there for Batsday. I'm 49 she's 15. We had a great time. we talked to a lot of goths and regular folk alike and everyone we spoke to thought it was a fun day. Lots of people asked to have their photos taken with my daughter (who looked quite lovely in her featherd hat and long flowing green/blond hair.) And as for the behavior of the goths, they went out of their ways to behave and not cause difficulties for anyone else. If anyone was actually paying attention to their behavior, they would have seen a bunch of fun and ecentric people laughing, snapping photos, renewing friendships,and forging new ones. Very, very, Disney. I've seen much more offensive clothes on "regular" people, like the guy we saw last week with the drawing of the naked woman and the caption" I love big jugs" on it, or the worst one I've seen, a guy last summer who had a t=shirt that actually said in huge letters "F...... You" Now he should have been refused admittance.
Oh yeah, for the first question on the thread, you can find out all about batsday at batsday.net
Now THAT'S something I agree with! As a CM, I can't believe how much horrible clothing comes through in the parks (such as t-shirts with swear-words and vulgar sayings, etc.) They're really not supposed to wear that inside, but it probably gets sneaked in.
The bat-kids/gays/ravers who come for their special "days" in the parks are always SO fun to meet and talk with. They're always having a ton of fun--THATS what Walt wanted. And Disneyland is their center! In my time working there as a CM, I have never had a problem with ONE, nor seen a negative act from any of them.
As long as you're a good person inside, it doesn't matter what's on the outside.

sami869
09-02-2004, 03:23 PM
As long as you're a good person inside, it doesn't matter what's on the outside.

*claps* Sadly not enough people seem to realize this.

CoasterChickie
09-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Ceimenke- Thanks for sharing all your wonderful photos. I see a few things I wouldn't mind having. The bat parasol is really cool and I love the button down shirt with Jack Skellington that one of the guys was wearing.

ExPeRiMeNt629- Most of the people in the pictures looked very happy and friendly. There were a few outfits people were wearing that I didn't think were appropriate for DL, but that could be said of many types of people.
I found most of the people more attractive to look at than those wierd things on the blue tarp covering the castle!!

P.S. Nice avatar...love the costume!! :)

Uncle Remus
09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Ok, I live in Portland Oregon and I finally got my parentals to take me and my friend to disneyland! yay. and the second day we were there and it was bats day (goth day) and I just have to say I personally felt down and occasionally freaked out. Thats cool being yourself and dressing black... yadayadayada. But it felt like my day was less fun and a little to black. :mad: but to make this sort of a happy ending the next day was really fun because of lack of people and lack of people dressed in black... oh and not to get off the subject but i got to ride big thunder mountain when it was opened on friday for the "soft opening" that made my day.

missm
09-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Cemeinke, I love the pics. It looks like so much fun. I have a weird question: on picture 38 with the title "fej at the blue bayeax" what was he eating? It looked really good and I need to try something other then the prime rib next time I'm there.

cemeinke
09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I believe Fej was having the Cajun Tri-tip. I had the same thing, and must say it made for some good eating.

thinktink
09-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Is bats day at DL every year or do they swich theme parks each year? Also is it always in Aug? :|

leota's necklace
09-02-2004, 06:41 PM
my daughter and I were there for Batsday. I'm 49 she's 15. We had a great time. we talked to a lot of goths and regular folk alike and everyone we spoke to thought it was a fun day. Lots of people asked to have their photos taken with my daughter (who looked quite lovely
in her featherd hat and long flowing green/blond hair.)

I remember her quite distinctly, and she was strikingly lovely. Tell her "good show" from my husband and I.

cemeinke
09-02-2004, 06:42 PM
It's always in Disneyland with the key event being the 9:00 meet at the Haunted Mansion. Though now that DCA has Tower, there may be more activity planned for DCA in the future.

Bats Day is usually on a Sunday at the end of August - that usually allows those Goths with SoCal APs to go to the park, and also the park still is operating with Summer hours, so more park time for the more far flung Goths, who make this their annual park visit.