PDA

View Full Version : Disney Hotels

Jack Skelly
09-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Ok, I have stayed in a few hotels on the strip in front of disneyland (mainly Desert Inn and Suites) but I would like to book a trip at on of the Disney Hotels for my November trip.

My question is, what makes each hotel special? Is it completely a matter of preference or is there something that would entice me to stay at one rather than the other.

There are no kids involved just me and my GF.

Thanx

sami869
09-01-2004, 02:06 PM
What I think the best things about each hotel are:

paradise pier: they're the cheapest.

the disney hotel: the original disney hotel, they have a water/light show and a wonderfully themed pool.

grand californian: the newest, the themeing is just great hear, the fireplace and piano player in the lobby are nice too. Downtown Disney and California Aventure are both right outside your door.

gothemi
09-01-2004, 02:07 PM
For me, I have always wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. I had some extra money and so I will be staying there my next trip. My last trip I was upgraded (very much so) from the PPH to GCH. I want to stay at each DLR hotel. There isn't much of a difference other then feeling like you are still in park at one of this hotels. Other then that there isn't a huge difference that I have noticed.

I know the hotels do offer perks though, like getting ahead of the line on the Monorail (in Disneyland), having some of you purchases in the park added to your hotel bill and some others. Bottom line to me, it is just a preference.

dlandnut
09-01-2004, 02:20 PM
We've stayed at the GC twice. By far the classiest, but also by far the priciest. It is extremely convenient, however, because you literally walk out of your room and into a special entrance for GC guests, right into CA. You also can walk out and directly into the middle of Downtown Disney. If being close to the park(s) is a big priority, this is the place to stay. On the other hand, I still prefer the DH, just because it truly does feel like you're still part of the magic of DL, which was previously posted. A little further to walk, but the monorail is again just steps away. I haven't stayed at PP, so can't comment except that I do know that there is also an entrance into CA from the PP. All-in-all, all three are excellent choices, you can't beat the convenience. :)

ESS Heckler
09-01-2004, 02:28 PM
For the money, if the choice is between PP and one of the "Good Neighbor" Hotels, I would not stay at the PP. The hotels 'across the street' are MUCH closer to Disneyland proper, and you don't get that much 'extra' for the $60/night or so in price difference you pay at PP.

That being said, I would always stay at the DLH or GC if they are available and affordable. I love both of those hotels!!

nursemelis374
09-01-2004, 02:44 PM
I loved staying at the Grand Floridian. I normally go for cheaper, but this was the best splurge! I loved to be able to go on GRR a bunch of times and then walk 5 minutes to my room to change! It was also cool because we got out of the movies at 12:30 and DTD was empty. The room was lovely and I highly suggest staying there!

SoCalDude
09-01-2004, 02:46 PM
I love the Paradise Pier hotel. It is just across the street from CA and the Grand Californian. Make sure you get a room with a park view! Trust me on this one ;) The PP also has its own TRUE private entrance to CA - very nice (you have to use your room key to enter the walkway see here (http://members.cox.net/mfuss903/DL/0304/diz0304_05.jpg) ). The only downside is with CA closing before DL you have to take the monorail back and walk back to the hotel (same deal with the GC). Or you can just walk thru Downtown Disney then back to the hotel if you missed the last monorial.. more walking than I would like to do after a full day at the park. And if you are walking back to the PP via downtown Disney - use the shortcut thru the lobby of the GC and exit the front of the hotel - by far the quickest path if you use the DD path to return.

The GC is really not my style - and the lobby always seems to be FULL. The 'private park entrance' is not truly private - anybody can use it as either an exit or entrance to the park. And with there being a shortcut from Downtown Disney thru the lobby many people take advantage of that (adding to the crowd). Also the most expensive of the 3. But if you stay here get a park view room as well.

Disneyland Hotel - The one time we spent the night there the monorail was not working... Our fault for not checking on that in advance.. but still led to long walks to the park and back. There is a GREAT pool next to it, but I do not go to DLR to swim in the pool, lol - and if you do not have kids then I can't see this as being a draw for you.

of these 3 I would suggest the PP, we have spent the night at all 3 and the PP is the one we return to.

MrsG
09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
For the money, if the choice is between PP and one of the "Good Neighbor" Hotels, I would not stay at the PP. The hotels 'across the street' are MUCH closer to Disneyland proper, and you don't get that much 'extra' for the $60/night or so in price difference you pay at PP.

That being said, I would always stay at the DLH or GC if they are available and affordable. I love both of those hotels!!

Well said. I've stayed at all three and PP is my least favorite and won't stay there again for the same reasons. Good Neighbors are much closer, cheaper and just as nice as PP. Also PP pool is just a pool like Neighbor hotels. Love both DH and GC.

DopeyWife
09-01-2004, 04:16 PM
I've stayed at all three, and would definately return to the DH or the GC, but not the PP.

derraj25
09-01-2004, 05:02 PM
It is funny how opinions differ. We always stay at PP (this Nov. will be our sixth time in the last 18mos). We have found it to be quieter, more intimate, and less formal than the other two, plus they just got done with a very nice remodel. Where the hotel lacked a "Disney feel", it how has that. Our concierge rooms are bigger at PP than at DH. However the big question here is, just how much time do you actually spend in the room anyway? We are creatures of habit. My opinion, save the extra money for your spending and stay at the PP.

CoasterChickie
09-01-2004, 05:31 PM
This year was the first time I ever stayed at the DLH and PPH and I loved it mostly because I never had to leave the resort. I would much rather stay right there and walk to the monorail or through Downtown Disney than walk or ride through Anaheim in a shuttle busses even though they're very efficient. I just like the feeling of being immersed in DL the whole time. I haven't stayed at the GC, but I love the decor of both the DLH and PPH. I also love that one is "classic" Disney and the other is "beachy" Disney. Even though I've heard wonderful things about the GC, I don't know that I'd stay there because the lobby area seems really dark to me and I am surrounded by redwood trees all the time at home. I want to feel like I'm in bright sunny southern CA.

piratefamily
09-01-2004, 05:59 PM
I have stayed at PP and GC. PP is not a bad hotel, and the private entrance to DCA is nice. The GC is superb. The turn down service, the lobby is great, fire places insde and out, the distance to the parks. It cost a lot, but worth every penny. Truly a 5 star hotel!!! :D

julia
09-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi,

All good comments about the hotels at Disneyland.

The Paradise Pier just got a much-needed remodel and has a new pool; it was originally built as a hotel for the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. The Disneyland Hotel is the classic Disneyland resort and has the classic Disney themes in the rooms with wallpaper border with Tinkerbell and her glow-in-the-dark pixie dust that sparkles after lights go out at night. The Grand Californian Hotel is done in the California Arts and Crafts Bungalow style and is a great resort with as much for adults as for children - go to the bedtime story around the fireplace before bed.

It is really a matter of understanding the style and ambiance of each resort and matching it to your personal preferences, style and budget.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Best Regards,
Julia

Susan L
09-01-2004, 07:24 PM
We like staying on site better. I know there are better values out there but its not Disney and if you take the time to save up for a Disney hotel it is way worth it.

We've stayed at PP hotel twice, the price is not to bad. We had a park view that was great, got to watch the DEP from our room with the music on the TV. The room was big, the sevice and atmosphere are great and you have a secret back entrance to DCA. The one big draw back to this hotel was the walk to the monorail. After a long day and night at DL this walk is quite a challenge.

we are staying at DL hotel on our next trip in Oct. The number one reason is that it is closer to the monorail. It was a bit more expensive but we only get to DL once a year and we like to be in the magic.

I don't know if we will ever stay at GC hotel it is really expensive. May-be when the kids are on their own and it can just be me and my dear hubby.

SoCalDude
09-01-2004, 10:33 PM
I just thought of something - on our last stay at the PP they mentioned that they give rides to and from Downtown Disney. We took them up on the ride to DD - they took us in a little golf cart and dropped us off next to the AMC movie theatre. We never did take them up on the return trip - not sure how that worked out because after they dropped us off he took off back to the hotel. I guess you could ask them about how and if you could get a return trip - maybe call them up when you are over in the area of the AMC? I have no idea if the GC offers this and it would be pointless for the Disneyland Hotel to offer it, lol.

Has anybody else took advantage of this service from the PP or GC?

And if you are a passholder or AAA member - ask for discounts! We only stay at the hotels when they have AP nights.

M

leota's necklace
09-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Each hotel has a special quality that makes it unique.

The Pier isn't themed to the gills. It does have theming, some disney character-related, some matched to DCA. The rooms seem spacious because they are done in light colors. The remodel turned out very nicely. The hotel is reminescent of the Coast across the street, but with Disney touches and service. We stayed there this past weekend and were impressed that, even though we were on the 4th floor overlooking the pool, we had NO pool noise in the room. The walk can be a drag, but I'm used to staying at the Coast, and quite frankly after eating a couple corndogs I'm grateful for the exercise. The beds are very comfortable, incuding the fold-out daybed in the couch. The bathrooms are large, with big mirrors and lots of counter space, and a curved shower curtain rod that gives you a little extra elbow room in the mornings.

The DH is the original and classic. Character touches are around every corner, and you're reminded every minute that Disneyland is just outside, right down to the beadspreads that feature line art of the attractions, and the armoire that is decorated with the original art for the map of the Park. If you want Disney oozing out of every pore, this is the place. If, after a day at the Park, you want to get away from the Mouse for a while, this is not for you. The grounds are gorgeous, including a koi pond and lovely waterfalls that you can listen to from your room (they turn down the water pressure at night so it's not overwhelming).

I found the Grand to be truly relaxing and refreshing. I stayed for my birthday last year and was very impressed. I love the bungalow style so the architechture was right up my alley. The rooms felt dark and cool (though there was more than enough light, the furnishings are darker than the other two properties) and just perfect for rest after a hot, bright, loud day at the Park. The pools are gorgeous, and the restaurants are terrific -- Whitewater snacks for quick meals, Storytellers for filling breakfasts, and Napa Rose for elegant dining (of course, all three hotels have great restaurants). The attention to detail and theming is superb, and the service was attentive without being intrusive. I truly felt like I was staying in a luxurious woodsy retreat, and each night when I came home to dimmed lights, a turned-down bed, a list of the next day's activities, and a wecoming note from the staff, I felt pampered and happy. I left feeling more rested than I thought was possible after spending twelve to fifteen hours in the Park each day.

So, to sum up: if you want Disney perks on a budget, without feeling like you're scrimping, stay at the Pier. If you want the classic immersive Disney experience, stay at the Hotel. And if you are willing to pay for luxury and convenience, stay at the Grand.

PsychDoc
09-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Leota, nice summary of the 3 parks. I'd agree with your depiction. Personally, I love the Peir. Disney style, not chokingly though. Great value compared to the other two. Love the back door access to DCA. Wonderful staff. We've stayed there so many times, I recognize most them now.

Wendi
09-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Nothing beats Disney's Grand Californian... just on distance alone it wins, but it's got so much more going for it! It truly is a luxury hotel in every sense. There are fantastic restaurants on site, beautiful rooms, fabulous staff, amazing style and decor, nice activities, incredible lobby. If you have the money and want to be right in the middle of the action, I'd definitely recommend GCH. I love it because I have a little one, and it's easy to go back to the room if we need to, otherwise I would feel burdened to have to walk so far, or go wait for a shuttle... but since you don't have kids you probably don't mind an extra hike. GCH IMHO is very nicely themed for adults though, very luxurious!

dlandnut
09-02-2004, 12:54 PM
I know the hotels do offer perks though, like getting ahead of the line on the Monorail (in Disneyland), having some of you purchases in the park added to your hotel bill and some others. Bottom line to me, it is just a preference.
-------------------

I have always stayed at the DH or GC, but was not aware that you got "ahead of the line" as mentioned in the quote. I always just walked to the Monorail, got in line, and that was that. How do you get special preference at the Monorail line? What do you show to the CM's to let them know you are a hotel guest? What am I missing here? :)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Do they do AP nights at GC?

DopeyWife
09-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Yes, they have AP nights for all 3 hotels.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-02-2004, 01:13 PM
oh yes, they sure do. Last year we were able to get a sunday at 139 a night, that was an awesome price, the next night was 159, still good, but not as fabulous. Just waiting for the fall AP rates to come out to book our next trip

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-02-2004, 01:18 PM
I want to stay there for my son's 4th birthday next Sept. Probably best if I book a room in advance and then wait for the AP rates so we have somewhere to stay, and then just cancel my initial reservation, hunh?