PDA

View Full Version : What if park reaches capacity?

tink1234
09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
I have this huge fear that over Christmas we will go to the park, leave for lunch and naps then be turned away after lunch. If the park(s) reach capacity do they turn away those of us who have already been in earlier that day?

mystycalchyk
09-01-2004, 12:11 PM
In my experience, yes. If it reaches capacity you will be turned away. That being said though..usually the park reaches capacity and then by the mid afternoon (3 or so) most times it slows down enough that it is not a worry, since most people leave the park then head back in the early evening..(5 or later)

rentayenta
09-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Yes, when the park reaches capacity, you will get turned away. Maybe go to DCA when you get turned away. If you don't get turned away then go to DCA on your last day. Just a thought.

Bill Catherall
09-01-2004, 01:52 PM
It's my understanding that when the park reaches capacity they just stop selling new tickets. They don't turn people away who already have tickets or who have already been in the park that day. Afterall, if you've been in once then they've counted you and even if you aren't in the park when it reaches capacity, you are still part of the count.

I could be wrong though.

tink1234
09-01-2004, 01:54 PM
In my experience, yes. If it reaches capacity you will be turned away. That being said though..usually the park reaches capacity and then by the mid afternoon (3 or so) most times it slows down enough that it is not a worry, since most people leave the park then head back in the early evening..(5 or later)

Oh no! :eek: So if I have F! buffet tickets and the park is at capacity when I go back, I can't use them? Is there any preference given to resort or concierge guests?

rentayenta
09-01-2004, 01:55 PM
It's my understanding that when the park reaches capacity they just stop selling new tickets. They don't turn people away who already have tickets or who have already been in the park that day. Afterall, if you've been in once then they've counted you and even if you aren't in the park when it reaches capacity, you are still part of the count.

I could be wrong though.

This makes sense. My cousin was turned away once but didn't tell me if she had already entered the park. I'll try and find out.

mystycalchyk
09-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Oh no! :eek: So if I have F! buffet tickets and the park is at capacity when I go back, I can't use them? Is there any preference given to resort or concierge guests?

No if you have reservations you are not going to be refused.

AliciasMom
09-01-2004, 04:09 PM
I went to D-land a couple of days after Christmas in the year 2000. The park reached capacity. My brother and I wanted a break from the crowds so we decided to drive around Anaheim. I asked almost every CM on the way out if we would be allowed back in and they all said yes. When we came back the CM wasn't going to let me in the Timon lot saying that they had reach capacity but then I showed him the parking pass and tix and he let us in. We had no problem entering the park. From what I was told by CM's was that when the park reaches capacity they just stop selling tickets and only allow handstamps and APers in the park.

thinktink
09-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I went to D-land a couple of days after Christmas in the year 2000. The park reached capacity. My brother and I wanted a break from the crowds so we decided to drive around Anaheim. I asked almost every CM on the way out if we would be allowed back in and they all said yes. When we came back the CM wasn't going to let me in the Timon lot saying that they had reach capacity but then I showed him the parking pass and tix and he let us in. We had no problem entering the park. From what I was told by CM's was that when the park reaches capacity they just stop selling tickets and only allow handstamps and APers in the park.
How often does the park reach max cap? Is this a frequent thing?

AVP
09-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Cast members have said that there are two levels of "capacity." One is the "oh my, we're crowded, don't sell any new tickets." In that case, anyone who has already been in the park that day or already has valid admission media - annual passes, vouchers, whatever - will still be allowed in the park.

The second level is "the fire marshall says we're too crowded, don't let ANYONE else in." Depending on the stories, this has only happened one or two times in Disneyland history.

AVP

Little tod
09-01-2004, 05:53 PM
I remember once, entering the parking structure, the man who took our AP said that Disneyland had reached capacity, but us Premiums could be let in. I'm not sure if it was the distinction of premium or AP that would let us in, but either way he strongly advised not doing it.

CoasterChickie
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
I think I read or heard that if DL reaches full capacity, guests who are staying at any of the DLR hotels are still allowed entry. Dsny1mom would probably know if this is true or not.

Susan L
09-01-2004, 07:33 PM
I have this huge fear that over Christmas we will go to the park, leave for lunch and naps then be turned away after lunch. If the park(s) reach capacity do they turn away those of us who have already been in earlier that day?

If you are a quest at one of the DLR hotels I don't think this is a problem.

rentayenta
09-01-2004, 09:38 PM
We don't leave once we are in. We always bring a stroller or two so even if my oldest DD (7) gets sleepy she can relax in the stroller. We kind of have a ritual of having my DH stay with whoever is the most tired save us a spot to watch the parade. At least two of my kids take a nap in the stroller while we are in the park. We usually visit the parks for 5 days so we can see everything at a pace that is comfortable for us.

sdfilmcritic
09-01-2004, 10:55 PM
The best thing you can do is to avoid going on holiday weekends or weeks. Againts my strongest of arguements my family decided to go on New Years Eve, one of the busiest days of the year for the park (along side 4th of July) and the family was trying to tell ME it was the stupidest idea they ever did. The can't say I didn't warn them.

However, I am curious why the park management (or whoever is responsible for making the decision about guest entries) would be so selective about who can enter the park. My logic tells me that anyone who has purchased an admission ticket for the day's entry or an annual passholder card is allowed to enter the park for that day. If the capacity is drawing near the ticket booths should stop selling tickets to prevent any others from entering for the day. Of course there would also have to be a buffer zone taken in to account for potential APers and Internet ticket sales taken into account here. In one post here there were two capacity limits mentioned: a comfort zone and a fire marshall zone. Well, I would think there should be a third zone added if it already doesn't exist. Right below a comfort zone should "buffer zone" that says this is the number of tickets sold at the ticket booths alone, not including expected APers or Internet ticket sales. The difference between a Buffer Zone and the Comfort Zone will be the projected number of APs and Internet tickets for the day as a "just in case" zone. I hope I didn't lose anyone in my talk here, but I thought it could help the park from hitting any dangerous and uncomfortable circumstances. I just hope Eisner will keep in mind that if he can make the guest comfortable in the park he could make more money. If the guest is uncomfortable he or she may never come back to the park again for the rest of their lives. On my last visit to DL I heard one lady saying to a person she was with that it was her last visit to the park forever. I didn't hear why she'll never be visiting again, but from her tone of voice and the way she talked it sounded like she wasn't too happy with her experience there that day.

dlazechk
09-01-2004, 11:27 PM
new year's eve as we asre going in to dca on the shottle, we are told that if the park reaches capacity, the only people allowed in will be those with hand stamps or ap's. we had ap's so we did not sweat it.

pisces
09-02-2004, 06:59 AM
I'm thinking about making reservations at one of the restaurants, or fantasmic, ....for New Years Eve. Then they'd have to let me back in!

What are vouchers? Are those the same thing as AAA passports bought in advance?

I can't believe they are still relying on hand stamps. They were stamping hands in 1978, the last time I was at the park. On vacation, I take at least 2 showers and one bath a day, so I'm afraid the ink, which I'm probably allergic to, will wear off. I hope they will stamp a piece of paper, or the ticket receipt instead.

I think for Dec 27-30, the trick is to be back in the Park in advance of 9:00 pm. 9 pm is the time DCA shuts down, and I imagine once DCA closes at 9, there is a stampede of DCA guests heading to the original park, for the next three hours till 12:00, when the original park shuts down.

I was surprised to see that, for Dec 31, DCA will be open till 1 am. Clearly they must be expecting a lot of people and they want DCA to handle the overflow. I have a feeling that Dec 31 will be one of those days that the fire marshall orders the park shut down to everyone!

So, I still don't know what my strategy for Dec. 31 will be. I can't imagine getting in line at 7:00 am for the 8:00 am opening, and then having to stay in the park all the way till the 2:00 am closing, even though there are worse things.

I have no problem with crowds as long as the temperatures are cool, and I am well-rested/well-napped!

sdfilmcritic
09-02-2004, 07:02 AM
pisces - What do you suggest in lieu of the handstamps? Microchips implemented under the skin of every guest? Scary thought. lol.

Hakuna Makarla
09-02-2004, 07:52 AM
When we went last week I could not believe how many people were there! I could harldy walk thru the park. If the park was not at capacity then, wow there must be a whole lot of people there during the new years and 4th of July! I was amazed at how many people were there and we had a tought time getting around some era's at times.

sami869
09-02-2004, 08:13 AM
I can't believe they are still relying on hand stamps. They were stamping hands in 1978, the last time I was at the park. On vacation, I take at least 2 showers and one bath a day, so I'm afraid the ink, which I'm probably allergic to, will wear off. I hope they will stamp a piece of paper, or the ticket receipt instead.

Every park that I have been to still does hand stamps. Disenyland uses creepy yellow ink that glows under their little black lights. After a shower, a swim in the pool and a second shower it was still there on my hand. I had more of a problem with it still being there when I returned to work the next day than worrying about it rubbing/washing off.

dsny1mom
09-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I'll share what I know about this topic, Coaster Chickie.

DL has only reached maximum capacity, at as AVP has said at the fire marshal level, a few times in its history.

We are at DLR every July 4th and have been there numerous times over the holidays. Back on NYE 1999, there was LOTS of talk about the gates closing due to capacity crowds. We were assured guests at the DLR hotels would be allowed entrance.

Someone told me the way they start to shut down admittance is: 1) Stop selling tickets, 2) Turn away guests with tickets or APs that have not already been in that day 3) Turn away rentries, 4) Not allow DLR guests in until the appropriate amount of guests exit the park.

I REALLY doubt there will be any problems like this this coming holiday season. Attendance at DL has been down the entire year and there really isn't anything spectacular going on prior to the 50th celebration.

Now next summer and holiday season will be a whole different story. I suspect July 17th might be one of those rare occasions where they may have to inforce some entry restrictions. I doubt they will reach capcity, if they even do, prior to say noonish. July 17th 2005 might be a good day to stay in the park until you are ready to leave for good for the day. The CMs at the rentry gates are usually well informed if attendance is nearing capcity, so asking before you head out might be a good idea.

dsny1mom

Arnie
09-02-2004, 11:48 AM

If they stamped the ticket or a piece of paper what is to stop someone from handing their ticket to someone else after re-entering the park and getting a 2 for 1 deal. A handstamp ensures that the person re-entering the park is the same person that left the park earlier. The ink usually stays on for a long time. I've gone back the next day and still had traces of the stamp on my hand. (this after swimming and showering). So I think your pretty safe there, I also imagine they ink would not cause an allergic reaction.

SallySkellington
09-02-2004, 06:03 PM
I also imagine they ink would not cause an allergic reaction.

I can practically guarantee that it won't. My mom is allergic to all kinds of skin stuff, but the hand stamps have never bothered her.