PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or was Fantasmic on Sunday...

ExPeRiMeNt629
08-31-2004, 11:52 PM
Is it just me or was Fantasmic!!! on Sunday a really bad show.. i mean alot of the Characters were missing, Peter Pan scene wasn't that good: missing pirates, missing croc, etc. Mark Twain scene: Minnie missing in action and others were too. and it seemed to be rushed. The reason why I asked cause i watch the show nearly everyweekend when i get off my shift and i have a few friends that preforme and it sadden me when i didn't see them preferm. Also from what i've heard "beyond the Br**" is that entertainment is having some HUGE cut backs.

splashmtngurl
09-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Sad. I really love FANTASMIC!! and i would hate to see it have a cast cut back! i would like to work at DL someday and i dont think i could do it if fantasmic wasnt there. Whenever we go to DL we make a point of seeing fantasmic!! at least once! :( fantasmic is a great show, they simply cant cut back anything from it! Were any of the characters that happened to be missing your friends? perhaps they would know why things werent working!

Darkbeer
09-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Also remember, Fantasmic! is about to go into Hiatus after this weekend, and many of the CM's that worked the show are going back to school, which is leaving Disney in a tough spot, no reason to train somebody new for 2 weeks.....

But yes, Entertainment is getting cut backed, more than the normal end-of-summer stuff, Aladdin is now offeronly 5 days a week, the amount of Snow White shows are less than May (off-season), Millionaire got the axe.....

Christiii
09-01-2004, 11:45 AM
gosh I wish they would change that show...it has been running for evvvvvvvvvver....sure could use some sprucing up and new or different themes and effects..tho thats true with a lot of Things at the park..like Star Tours, HISTA. Dont get me wrong..I love the original rides to stay the smae..but if they have these new shows etc..they should change up up a bit...maybe every 10 years or so, hehe!!

splashmtngurl
09-01-2004, 12:12 PM
if they take away or change fantsmic! in anyway, i might just die!

disneyperson
09-01-2004, 12:25 PM
They already took away Urusla, now the Crock is gone too? I didn't watch fantasmic Sunday night. I was in line for the HM.

TP2000
09-01-2004, 01:26 PM
During both of the Sunday shows the Columbia was having engine problems, which you could tell because it was being pushed by the black, stealth "workboat". It's disguised and camoflauged so well that if you aren't looking for it, you usually miss it.

But when they have to push the Columbia like that, several things instantly change about the show regardless of what the exact trouble is with the Columbia.

The first change is that the Croc float is cut from the Columbia scene, as it's too dangerous to have that float traveling so close behind the workboat.

The second change is that the types of stunts they do on the Columbia are changed and/or cut back in scale and scope. They don't like to have people flying all over the place when they don't have complete control of the Columbia's speed and motion.

The third change is that there is a dramatic reduction in the number of Pirates on the Columbia. When the Columbia is being pushed by the workboat, the docking procedures across from the Hungry Bear are less than precise, and it can often take an extra 120 to 180 seconds to dock the boat and get the boarding ladder attached. The timing of the show is so precise that a delay that long completely destroys the ability for all of the Pirates to get off the Columbia, run to the other side of the Island and board the Mark Twain, and change into their next set of costumes which are the Disney Characters.

And I believe it's entertainment union regulations that don't allow them to just have the extra Disney characters already suited up on the Twain during nights the Columbia is having troubles and is running with a reduced cast.

But what it all boils down to is not some evil plot by TDA to dramatically scale back the number of performers in Fantasmic! at the end of the summer, the end of the fiscal year, or the beginning of the school semester. What you all observed Sunday night was simply the altered show that has been performed over a hundred times before on any night that the Columbia has engine problems and needs to be pushed by the workboat.

And sometimes the Columbia is operating just fine, but had a bit of engine problems earlier in the day, and so they error on the side of caution and commit themselves to use the workboat and run the reduced show even though the Columbia may be able to make it on it's own. It would be the worst thing to have the Columbia die right in the middle of the river during the show. And not only would that stop the show completely, but it would potentially put some Cast Members in an unsafe situation.

Disney has erred on the side of safety first, and showmanship second, to make the types of adjustments it made to Sunday's Fantasmic! performances. There are no insidious budget cuts at work there, unless of course you count the 8+ years of Pressler and Harriss where they let the Columbia rot into the horrible condition it's now in.

The Columbia has a three month rehab this Fall, which is why there will be no Fantasmic! until Christmas.

disneyperson
09-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info., I'm glad to know the real reasons behind the slightly altered show.

ExPeRiMeNt629
09-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Hey TP thanks for the info, what you just said made a lot of sense, i mean it just felt werid cause me and my girlfriend and a few others that know half of the cast got kinda upset when we didn't see them perfrom that night either on the columbia or the Mark twain. But anyhow, when i get a chance to talk to my friend i'll ask what really happened, as in engine trouble, she might of got sick, west nile....I'm just kidding. =)