PDA

View Full Version : DCA Attendance Saturday, November 17, 2001

AIRLINE
11-18-2001, 12:07 PM
For the few of you on this board that ACTUALLY go into DCA, did anybody notice how many people were in the park on Saturday?

We stopped by around 2:00 p.m. and then came back again at 8:00 p.m. to catch Duminaria.

We were surprised as to the number of people in the park. We haven't seen crowds like this since the return of the Electrical Parade back in July.

The two-park discount program must be working. It would be interesting to see how many people are using their two-park ticket on the same day, vs. coming back a second day.

You have to wonder if the increased headcount into DCA results in additional spending at restaurants and shops, or, are people just coming over to have a look, knowing that by spending an additional $6.00, that if they don't like DCA, it isn't such a big deal.

In an earlier post, I suggested that Disney needed to come-up with a temporary plan to reduce the cash burn at DCA, due to lack of attendance and purchase of one-day tickets. The AP's don't help any if were not spending money at DCA...we just drag down DCA's bootom line (but that's not an AP'ers problem...they can visit as much or as many times as they wish).

At this point, it's hard to tell if the reduction in price is having any effect on improving the cash burn rate at DCA.

Just because DCA is seeing higher attendance does not translate that DCA's financial situation is improved, if the company is giving away the admittance and not making-up for it with food and merchandise purchases in the park.

A better indicator will be what the attendance patterns are during the week of Thanksgiving and after Thanksgiving.

I'm sure the folks at Disney are planning on a slooow Christmas season at DCA, even if a discount is not offered. I'm sure we'll no soon enough.

Anybody have a thought that DCA will reduce the number of days it's open each week (or entirely close) during the months of January through March?

Did anyone notice that Duminaria actually worked well on Saturday night? It semed that the entire show was timed perfectly.

We even found a "secret" place to see the show, and not be impacted or feel any effects of the smoke!...a real treat!

DisneylandPort
11-18-2001, 12:19 PM
Wow. Im surprised how many people are in the park! But I;m guessing that after word gets out about Luminaria stinks, people wll stop showing up, but who knows, th]is might actually save DCA, lets hope that they run the show into the summer but with an improved version coming up.

HTTP://WWW.DISNEYLANDPORT.COM

slaakker
11-18-2001, 07:40 PM
As far as attendance in DCA, my family has been planning a trip to DL for the past year, approximately 25 people. We all agreed we would skip DCA back in July. We are all planning to spend a day there now due to the park hopper passes. This is the only reason we are going to see the new park.

I suspect that this is the main reason there has been an increase in the parks attendance. You think people are buying passes to DCA? No way!

I guess DCA can be thanked for some of the steady attendance due to just being an added value for the same entry fee as the several day passes for just DL.

coronamouseman
11-18-2001, 07:46 PM
Let's hope that the new discount offer is bringing in some new business - Anaheim clearly needs it.

Check out the article in the OC Register for today - it talks in detail about the dependence of the local economy upon Disney and the amount of business it brings to the area. The numbers are scary in terms of what "normal" business was and what it is now ..........

Personally, I think they are going to have to do more than offer a 2 for 1 deal to the parks - I think they are going to have to bring down the price of an individual admission to something between $27-$33 for Disneyland and something less for DCA before local residents will really take any notice.

Disney should also be working hard on setting up packages for potential guests coming to California for New Year's Day (Rose Parade, etc.) and the Rose Bowl Game (this year's college national championship game) - can't believe that throngs of football fans from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida or Oregon won't pay full boat for a day at Disney as part of their trip out here for the big game.

awinner
11-18-2001, 10:01 PM
i was at the park on 11/17, there were no lines...the only area it was busy was the line to get the artists choice pin of the month. There was a decent crowd though for luminaria.