PDA

View Full Version : Pin Trading Plot

Pages : [1] 2

FEJ
11-18-2001, 11:22 AM
I dont know if i should be ashamed, but i actually bought my first Collectable PIN last night (the Haunted Mansion Holiday "Wreath" pin). I swore pin trading off as a capitalistic scheme by Disney. If I dont wear a lanyard or carry around a trading book, and just buy them for my own collection, is that OK?

HAVE THEY CAUGHT ME IN THERE INTRICATE PLOT?
Is there Help for me?
Anyone else a victim of this.

Help:eek: :D

Gemini Cricket
11-18-2001, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by FEJ

Anyone else a victim of this.

I met a victim at Disneyland. He wore one of those Gilligan hats from Gilligan's Island with so many pins on it that it must have weighed 45 pounds. If something were to land on his head, he would get such a headache from all those pin backings sticking into his scalp.

I buy the Donald Duck ones, well, because he's the bomb. I don't think I'm a victim because I want it. My trouble is: what do you do with them after you have them? They're hard to display...

FEJ
11-18-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

I met a victim at Disneyland. He wore one of those Gilligan hats from Gilligan's Island with so many pins on it that it must have weighed 45 pounds. If something were to land on his head, he would get such a headache from all those pin backings sticking into his scalp.

I buy the Donald Duck ones, well, because he's the bomb. I don't think I'm a victim because I want it. My trouble is: what do you do with them after you have them? They're hard to display...

I was thinking of making a suit of armour if i could get enough.

Gemini Cricket
11-18-2001, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by FEJ

I was thinking of making a suit of armour if i could get enough.

Cool. Then you could scare people at the HM. Better yet you could pretend to be your own pin trading stand. When an unsuspecting guest comes by you scare 'em. Just like that walking bush in DCA.

:D

MammaSilva
11-18-2001, 12:23 PM
well personally I am a "mickey" person...we have a donald and a goofy and a minnie and a snow and the dwarfs people in our family too, we buy the pins that appeal to us personally and aren't into the world of "pin traders".....so displaying them at the park isn't an issue. The solution we came up with here at home is a simple "shadow box" with the black background, when we get a new pin we just add it to 'our' box and the shadow boxes are displayed on my "disney wall" thats where the favorite pics are in collage frames, the latest Splash pic hangs and now with the new addition of Space photos......

Gemini Cricket
11-18-2001, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
The solution we came up with here at home is a simple "shadow box" with the black background, when we get a new pin we just add it to 'our' box and the shadow boxes are displayed on my "disney wall" thats where the favorite pics are in collage frames, the latest Splash pic hangs and now with the new addition of Space photos......

That's a great idea! Mine are in my utility drawer in my desk... D'oh!

Not Afraid
11-18-2001, 01:38 PM
I have to admit I got the AP Tinkerbell pin because .... it was Tinkerbell and exclusive to APs. To get that one, I had to buy another, so I got Dumbo.

I now feel that I waisted my money. I really am not going to do anything with these pins. I certainly won't wear them. They are stuck in a drawer.

I don't think I'll be buying more (or I'll try not too). The HM wreath was pretty cool:) .

HBTiggerFan
11-18-2001, 01:42 PM
I buy the pins that I like. I have 5 or 6. To display them in my home, I bought the AP Lanyard (was just gonna buy a reg lanyard, but this was cooler) and I hang it on the wall over a pushpin.

Uncle Dick
11-18-2001, 03:56 PM
I have three: Splash Mountain, Last Day/First Day: New Year's Eve 2000/01, and the Snow White DVD pin. They serve as nifty door decorations. I only really bought the New Year's Eve pin and that's because it was a special occasion. So I'd say I have escaped the intricate plot unscathed. I simply pass by the pin trading carts without a sideways glance. Mostly because I have no money.:D

dcadon
11-18-2001, 06:42 PM
I too never thought it would happen to me but I am a serious pin trader. I have no Idea how it happened. I always thought they were lame like beanie babies. Then one day I was in the Disney Gallery in 1999 and saw a small dish with Haunted Mansion 30th anniversary pins for $6. Now I've got to full pin bags and counting and I can spot a limited-edition-CM-exclusive-spinner-lenticular-artist choice-slider-dangle at 50 paces.
Plus they a lot of fun, really. I take them everywhere with me.
It's strange though, Even though I've got hundreds and always manage to get the ones I really want, I still feel like I'm missing out on something. Like there is a new series that just started that I'm missing out on, or that last cast member I didn't check out had that limited edition world showcase holiday pin I've been wanting.
I'm not a character specific collector though, and I don't operate a web store. I just collect and accumulate those pins I fine special in some way.
Plus I don't smoke and I don't drink hardly at all. I'm in x-ray school. I deserve at least one vice right?

Thank you for my time,
-Don

P.S. Has anybody seen the Epcot spinner pin with the world showcase flags that show through the cut out Mickey heads? I just saw that pin yesterday but my friend won't trade it. Thanks!

WickedQueen
11-18-2001, 07:20 PM
I kept seeing those pin carts at the park and knew that one of these days, I would get hooked, but kept on walking. Then they came out with the Nightmare Before Christmas pins. I collect NBC stuff, so, I had to have them.

Got the event pin, and then had to collect the weekly LE pins. Needed the Haunted Mansion pin to go with them. And that Tinkerbell AP pin was really cute......

Okay, in the space of 6 weeks, I have become a pin trader. Hardcore. Got a pin book and a lanyard on my last trip to Disneyland. I am hooked.

tinkfreak
11-18-2001, 11:49 PM
Yeah, they got me too. I started out just collecting Tink pins cause she's...well, she's Tink (check out my name!). Then I realized how in-demand the CM exclusive pins were so I started buying all of those cause they're good trading leverage if nothing else. Anyone have any rare Tink stuff you'd like to trade? I have all the CM stuff.

Sorry, couldn't resist that last part.

Yes, I am a pin nerd. :rolleyes:

WizKidRyan
11-19-2001, 06:32 AM
Getting those pins from Millionaire from being in the Hot Seat got me hooked :-)

MammaSilva
11-19-2001, 07:53 AM
Is anyone collecting the pins from the DisneyStores, 100 years of Memories? I started and it has turned into a Nightmare worse than anything at the park that I've experienced UGH

Nigel2
11-19-2001, 11:41 AM
Its funny when I was at the disneyana convention the Disney promo show gave away the first one for free to everyone, I think its funny how people waited in lines to buy them while I got the (from what I heard) a rare one for free by just walking up to the guy handing them out. Funny I am not hooked and the millionare pins did nothing too, I wonder if I can sell them? Probably not I think I saw something about that in the contract.

bluebayou
11-19-2001, 04:22 PM
I don't think you're hooked. I am not a pin trader and kind of loathe those people but I do collect haunted mansion pins. Most expensive one I have is the latest cm one - which I bought on Ebay. I think if you only collect a certain character (mine being the mansion) - you are more hooked on that than anything. Those HM pins are VERY cool!

FEJ
11-19-2001, 06:58 PM
I also have the "Cast Member Preview" pin.

Morrigoon
11-19-2001, 07:23 PM
That great sucking sound you hear......

Yes, I too, own more pins than I care to admit. I have a policy, though, of only buying pins I like, whether or not they're considered collector's items. As a result, I am not a "pin trader". I have made 1 (one) trade. I traded a CM button I'd acquired 4 of from a kind soul, for an Eliott pin. But I'm not in the habit of purchasing pins I don't like just because they'd be trading fodder.

But I'm still a pin nerd ;)

I'm too cheap to spend $8 for a pin lanyard. Instead I bought the coke bottle strap from ODV. It's red, has DISNEYLAND and little character faces on it, is longer than a traditional lanyard, and half the cost too. I also have pins on my various backpacks, though only 1 or 2 per bag. I'm tempted to stick them all on one backpack, but I'm dead afraid of losing them.

akacl
11-20-2001, 05:28 AM
I seen so many people with pins on their vests, hats, pants and so on.... that if I had a gun and shot them, it wouldnt penetrate the pins. One guy I talked to said pin trading is a sickness, and he spent hundreds, if not thousands on pins. He said he cant stop and always wants all the pins he can get. I still think people look funny with all the pins on their hats, pants, shoes, jackets, and carrying a suitcase full of pins. Its like 50 extra lbs of pins. Somehow they have the pins all catagorized and know where which each pin is. Makes me think people have too much time on their hands.

Matterhorn Fan
11-20-2001, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
Is anyone collecting the pins from the DisneyStores, 100 years of Memories? I started and it has turned into a Nightmare worse than anything at the park that I've experienced UGH
I am. Alas, my DS opens at 8am this week.

MammaSilva
11-20-2001, 07:26 AM
Matterhorn Fan....have you managed to get them all so far? I'm not even talking about a single extra but just one of each? I have but to manage it I now am the proud owner of the phone numbers for at least two dozen DS in California and Nevada! I always have to get on the phone for at least one or two each week :(

Gemini Cricket
11-20-2001, 09:24 AM
I have mostly Donald pins, but I bought a few more because they looked cool. I have:

The WED Imagineering Pin
The Triple R Ranch Pin (from Spin and Marty)
The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse Pin (for nostalgia)
&
The Partners Pin

I can't say I'm hooked, but maybe Disney has me pinned down to the mat.:D

Nigel2
11-20-2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

I'm too cheap to spend $8 for a pin lanyard. Instead I bought the coke bottle strap from ODV. It's red, has DISNEYLAND and little character faces on it, is longer than a traditional lanyard, and half the cost too.

Ha, why pay for a real lanyard when you can get on for free if you are smart/fast enough. At Who Wants... all the people in the hot seat get a free lanyard for their pins. I am trying to think if I have ever bought a pin I actually do not think disney has ever gotten a cent of my money for a pin since the ones that the APs get were "free"

Ralph Wiggum
11-20-2001, 01:24 PM
Hey Fej,
Why don't you tell them about the vest you bought the otherday that you filled with pins and wore to Dland. Your "armor" if you will. I think that should be mentioned here. ;)

Nigel2
11-20-2001, 01:29 PM
I have to get my stress ball to prevent me from geting in trouble from what akacl said, plus I said that before.