PDA

View Full Version : DL closing @ 8 on Christmas Eve?!

tink1234
08-29-2004, 07:39 PM
I typed in my dates at DL Dec. 23, 24, 25 and noticed that DL was open until 12 on 23rd and 25th. But, closed at 8 on the 24th. What gives? We are staying at GCH so will there be something special to do there that night? Does anyone know what time the Christmas Storytime around the tree is that night? I would so hope to utilize all possible things availible that night!!

Also, we want to do Fantasmic Buffet...what night will be the best to book it. I was thinking 23rd.

David R
08-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm sure that CMs would like to be with their loved ones on Christmas eve. I applaud Disney for recognizing this.

tikiboy
08-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Actually, in years past, they've closed at 7pm.

Like David R said above, it's the one day of the year Disney
lets CMs be with their families. For a short period of time mind you....

DCAWhites
08-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Its reallly slow on christmas eve as well...

dsny1mom
08-30-2004, 06:09 AM
The last time we were at DLR for Christmas DL closed at 8pm on Christmas Eve too. We made our Christmas Eve dinner reservation around that time. By the time we were done eating we were ready to go back to our room and get the kids asleep so they could get up early open their gifts and still be ready to get to the park early Christmas morning.

Christmas Eve was REALLY slow at DL. We were able to see every attraction at a slow pace even though they closed early.

dsny1mom

disneymania
08-30-2004, 07:07 AM
I agree with everyone else. While it's a special time for your family, think if you had to work it, and had to work it late. I think 8pm is more than generous. I think they should also be closed, yes closed, on Christmas Day. After all, is Disney not for families, even their employees?

sediment
08-30-2004, 09:04 AM
There are lots of people who go to Disneyland on Christmas. Like, all the guests at the hotels.

rentayenta
08-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I agree with everyone else. While it's a special time for your family, think if you had to work it, and had to work it late. I think 8pm is more than generous. I think they should also be closed, yes closed, on Christmas Day. After all, is Disney not for families, even their employees?

We will be there Christmas Day because this is the first Christmas Eve/Day that my DH will not be working in 6 years. He is a firefighter. I have mixed feelings on the subject. My DH works 24 hour shifts.

DCAWhites
08-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Christmas day is very busy however. The rest of the local parks are all closed.

tink1234
08-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Sooo...this would be a good day to ride the e-tickets? What things are being offered at the hotels? Will F! be playing the 23rd or 25th? Sorry about the 20+ questions, but I want to make this Christmas magical!!

dsny1mom
08-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Oh yes, Christmas Eve is an ideal day to ride all the E attractions! We also liked seeing Billy Hill and the Hillbilly's that day.

I'm sure Fantasmic will be running on Christmas Day with ressies for the balcony that would make for a pretty awesome Christmas Day!

I'd pretty much count on the 23rd being on the less crowded side too.

If you are still going to be there the morning of the 26th you might want to hit the stores in DTD, at the hotels and in the parks bright and early. They all do the traditional 50% off all holiday merchandise the day after Christmas sales.

dsny1mom

rentayenta
08-30-2004, 02:14 PM
If you are still going to be there the morning of the 26th you might want to hit the stores in DTD, at the hotels and in the parks bright and early. They all do the traditional 50% off all holiday merchandise the day after Christmas sales.
dsny1mom

dsny1mom, you just made my day. I love shopping the day after holidays to take advantage the sales. This may be the year that I get enough MM glass ornaments to fill my whole tree next year. I'll have to send DH into the park with the kids while I find my own magic!

Susan L
08-30-2004, 04:21 PM
I typed in my dates at DL Dec. 23, 24, 25 and noticed that DL was open until 12 on 23rd and 25th. But, closed at 8 on the 24th. What gives?

I don't know. When we were their Xmas Eve in 2001 they were open until 12pm. And no it wasn't slow at all, it was extremely crowded.

Sheila
08-30-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't know. When we were their Xmas Eve in 2001 they were open until 12pm. And no it wasn't slow at all, it was extremely crowded.

Are you sure about that, Susan?? Every time I've gone on Christmas Eve, they've always closed the park around 7-8 so that cast members could go home to be with their families. Hmmm, I wonder if that one year, DL tried to extend the hours or something....

However, I totally agree with you about the crowds on 12/24. Years ago, it was light attendance, but in the last couple years, it's *really* gotten more and more crowded. (Of course, it in no way compares to the crowd insanity of 12/25-12/31!)

Sheila

splashmtngurl
08-30-2004, 04:50 PM
I am sure DL is beautiful during christmas but my family has made a point of never visiting the park during the week befor christmas through the week after new years simply because of crowds, closing times and that fact that when we go to Cali we would like to have warm, comfortable weather and although it isnt to bad in the winter, we still like it hot! Actually my family likes to go any time after about october 22nd because generally the decorations are going up around that time and the crowds are super light!

pisces
08-31-2004, 06:57 AM
dsny1mom: That is so special to open presents at the park. 8:00 is not early for Christmas Eve, considering it gets dark at 5:00 pm. Plus, the hotels are still open and it might be fun sitting around the hearth opening a few presents, catch your breath, enjoy the special lights in the hotel lobbies, or even go back to your room for Disney movies, which you might never have time for when the park is open.

Many families like to go to midnight Mass, and 8:00-11 pm is a good time for the kiddies to take a nap before going-----The Crystal Cathedral is not too far away in Garden Grove.

I wish I were there on Christmas Eve. I won't be arriving till Dec 27. I hope the merriment and festive atmosphere is still going on by then. Next year I will do actual Christmas Eve and Christmas proper, and maybe even have a little tree in my hotel room, if they allow it.

Anyway, starting December 26 to....as of now....Dec 30, they are open from 8am to 12 am........as I eagerly await the schedule to see what their hours will be on Dec 31.

I think they usually stay open till 2 am on New Years Eve? Right?

Can't wait!

tink1234
08-31-2004, 08:41 AM
We are this year! I just got off the phone with vacation planning. They will provide you with a tree on property for approx. $150. (Prices this year have not been officially listed.) They will also provide stockings for around $70. (Does anyone know what might be in these?....I may just buy various things and put together and have sent to our room to make it cheaper.)

Anyway, back to your orginal question...

Here's our plan of action.
23rd staying across the street and doing disney and hopefully F! buffet.
24th meeting parents and doing disney e-tickets and staying for fireworks and snow. Back to room for storytelling at the Christmas tree (Concierge GCH) and opening a few presents, like a set of disney p.j.'s and watching a disney movie.
25th Stockings, presents, and disney!
26th Mabe doing disney...home

Edited to say:
Oops! I posted this on the wrong thread! :eek:

TP2000
08-31-2004, 01:03 PM

I am afraid you are mistaken. Disneyland was open until 8:00pm on Christmas Eve in 2001. I think you may be thinking of Christmas Day or any other day during the two weeks of Christmas break, when the park is open until Midnight and it's extremely crowded.

But Disneyland has been open until 8:00pm on every Christmas Even since 1997. Before that year they closed even earlier on Christmas Eve.

TP2000
08-31-2004, 01:07 PM
I typed in my dates at DL Dec. 23, 24, 25 and noticed that DL was open until 12 on 23rd and 25th. But, closed at 8 on the 24th. What gives? .

Disneyland has closed at 8:00pm on Christmas Even every year since 1997. Before '97 they closed at either 7:00pm or 6:00pm on Christmas Eve, depending which day of the week Christmas Eve fell on that year.

It's a nice way for Disneyland to allow a big chunk of their employees to spend time with their families at Christmas, one of the busiest seasons of the year for Disneyland.

The singing pirates and dancing ghosts at Disneyland are robots, but the rest of the employees are human beings who have loved ones and families to spend time with at Christmas.

Susan L
08-31-2004, 04:39 PM
Are you sure about that, Susan?? Every time I've gone on Christmas Eve, they've always closed the park around 7-8 so that cast members could go home to be with their families. Hmmm, I wonder if that one year, DL tried to extend the hours or something....

However, I totally agree with you about the crowds on 12/24. Years ago, it was light attendance, but in the last couple years, it's *really* gotten more and more crowded. (Of course, it in no way compares to the crowd insanity of 12/25-12/31!)

Sheila

I'm sorry my mistake is was the 23rd, the 24th we spent the whole day at Disneyland and then headed down to Lake Forest to my sister's house. OOOPS! Hope all is forgiven.

Sheila
08-31-2004, 10:59 PM
Oh my gosh, of course!! Needless to say, Christmas at DL is busy, busy, busy, no matter what day you attend.

However, somehow I just love Christmas Eve at DL. You can feel the quiet anticipation of Christmas, regardless of what faith you are. It feels very calm, very full of goodwill towards men. I love Christmas!

Unless, of course, you are one of the truly stouthearted who go to the park on 12/26 for the Christmas sales. I did that once, and NEVER AGAIN! (Although it was truly cool snagging some neat Minnie & Mickey stockings marked down 70%!)

Sheila

rentayenta
09-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Oh my gosh, of course!! Needless to say, Christmas at DL is busy, busy, busy, no matter what day you attend.

However, somehow I just love Christmas Eve at DL. You can feel the quiet anticipation of Christmas, regardless of what faith you are. It feels very calm, very full of goodwill towards men. I love Christmas!

Unless, of course, you are one of the truly stouthearted who go to the park on 12/26 for the Christmas sales. I did that once, and NEVER AGAIN! (Although it was truly cool snagging some neat Minnie & Mickey stockings marked down 70%!)

Sheila

{wondering if I am stouthearted} :confused:
{wondering what stouthearted means} :confused:

I will be at the park the 26th; are the stores really crowded?

lisap
09-01-2004, 07:30 AM

I'm guessing she means that the after Christmas sales are not for bargain hunting lightweights! :p :D Merchandise flying, people sprinting, fighting over little Goofy Santa bobbleheads.....am I close, Sheila?
Sounds like fun to me, but I love crazy shopping scenes like that.

rentayenta
09-01-2004, 08:18 AM
I enjoy a good mob scene too, especially when shopping and Disney are involved :)

Guess that's why I dare go to DL over Christmas.

Sheila
09-01-2004, 11:02 AM

You know, um, people with hearts who are stout. Yeah, that's it. Actually, "stouthearted" means brave and strong; fearless. As in this song:

Give me some men
Who are stouthearted men
Who will fight for the right
To be free!

Geez, that song sure came out of the Wayback Machine...

Anyhow, the lines in the stores on the morning of 12/26 will probably be long. But the real test will be wading through all the folks pouring into DL because they're off from work that week.... :eek: Truly for the courageous.

I salute you, rentayenta! :)

Sheila