PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place inside the DLR to get a really good steak or seafood dinner?

Pages : [1] 2

CoasterChickie
08-27-2004, 09:16 PM
So far I have heard a lot about the sweets and treats at the DLR.
But I would like to know where you can get a really good piece of prime rib or some fresh seafood? Or how about a great salad?

Bruce Bergman
08-27-2004, 09:58 PM
But I would like to know where you can get a really good piece of prime rib or some fresh seafood? Or how about a great salad?

Lessee, they have Prime Rib at Blue Bayou, but I don't know if it would break through the 'really good' barrier or not. I'm not a big Prime Rib person, but Ribs... :p

As to a great salad, they do a wonderful Cobb Salad at Plaza Inn, fresh tossed to order, Blue Cheese crumbles and all. The Pizza Salad at Redd Rocketts is excellent, though I haven't tried one since they changed from a tall bowl to a plate a few months ago - and cut the portion size a bit at the same time, what a co-inky-dink. (They thought nobody would notice... :rolleyes: )

The Tostada Salad at Casa Del Zocalo is a good meal and a good value - their only fault is that the big flour tortilla shells are fried too far ahead of time (or they aren't controlling the humidity and temperature in the storage cabinet well enough) and tend to come out a bit on the chewy side. Which is only a problem if you plan to eat the dishes like I always do - hey, break it up and it's a side of tortilla chips with your salad.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

sdfilmcritic
08-27-2004, 10:37 PM
The prime rib at the Blue Bayou restaurant was decent. I couldn't really complain about it. Well, I could complain about the dinner prices. An arm and a leg I tell you!

sarahsmile
08-27-2004, 10:40 PM
I can't really think of any great seafood or steaks inside the park, I'd go to one of the Resort Hotel Restaurants or somewhere in DTD.

missm
08-27-2004, 10:42 PM
I get the prime rib at Blue Bayou but I don't recommend it. I only get it because I'm super picky with food. It's something that I like on the menu. I had a great filet at the Rainforest Cafe, really flavorful, cooked exactly how I like it. Also for me Granville's is always great. That is based on other locations of Granville's though, I haven't eaten at the DLR location, yet. I am planning on testing it out on my next trip. This is making me hungry, I love steak. Oh yeah I had THE best salad at the Rainforest Cafe. I was planning on ordering the waterfall wedge but our waiter told me it is really hard to eat. He recommended just getting the normal side salad with bleu cheese dressing. It was excellent. The perfect tangyness. Oh how I wish I was at the Rainforest Cafe right now.

BJW
08-28-2004, 01:16 AM
The lobster is pretty good at the Rainforest Cafe. Also the king crab legs are pretty good. The cajun stuff has a lot of flavor at the Blue Bayou.

minniemom
08-28-2004, 04:27 AM
The ESPN Zone has a killer salad. I order it everytime. It is steak strips over salad greens, topped with avocado and tomato. The dressing is a balsamic vinegar type dressing. Yummy!

My husband asked for the end cut of Prime at the BB once. Let me tell you it was so yummy and was big enough to feed our whole family.

cstephens
08-28-2004, 05:47 AM

I don't know if they have prime rib and I haven't eaten there myself, but I've heard that Granville's in the Disneyland Hotel has very good steaks. I'd also recommend Hook's Pointe near the Disneyland Hotel. My dinner companions had the surf and turf there and really enjoyed it. Catal in Downtown Disney serves a good prime rib, but it's not on their regular menu so you'd only be able to get that if it happened to be their daily special.

DopeyWife
08-28-2004, 06:37 AM
My husband and I had prime rib and filet at Granville's, and it was very good. I've also had the prime rib at the Blue Bayou, and I liked that too. But Granville's was probably better, and they have more choices there too.

Wendi
08-28-2004, 08:22 AM
Storyteller's Cafe has great salads, AND good seafood. Rainforest Cafe has pretty good seafood too. I have no idea about steak though...

Disneygirl65
08-28-2004, 09:07 AM

Hook's Pointe inside the Disneyland Hotel has great steaks and salads. Did not ever have seafood there though. But it is very good and priced right.

JeffG
08-28-2004, 09:49 AM

As other's have noted, there really isn't a good choice for prime rib inside the parks. The Blue Bayou does serve a prime rib that is generally ok, but the reason to go there is the atmosphere not the food. I wouldn't rate their prime rib higher than strictly mediocre. Casa Del Zocolo does occasionally serve prime rib as well (generally only seasonally), but the one time I tried it there it was nearly inedible. It had clearly been sitting under a heat lamp for quite a while.

If you really want a decent prime rib, I would recommend Grandvilles (which is expensive, but >very< good) or, if it happens to be the daily special that day, Catal. Hook's Pointe and Napa Rose also usually have very good steaks or filet mignon available as well, although neither typically has prime rib. Catal also almost always has a very good steak or filet mignon on their regular menu. In addition, if they do have filet mignon it is typically quite a bit larger than what you get at most restaurants.

Storyteller's Cafe does usually have prime rib available, but I've generally found it to be about on the same level as what you get at Blue Bayou.

-Jeff

AnnaBanana
08-28-2004, 09:56 AM
I haven't seen any mention of Ralph Brennan's yet. We had dinner there in the middle of our trip and it was really good! I had catfish with pecans, and Dad had this very yummy snapper. It was nice to sit outside on the balcony and just enjoy that beautiful Southern California weather.

MrsG
08-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Hook's Pointe inside the Disneyland Hotel has great steaks and salads. Did not ever have seafood there though. But it is very good and priced right.

I've eaten the seafood at Hooke's and it is pretty good, but the steaks are better.

sierranevada
08-28-2004, 10:29 AM
I also recommend Granville's for steaks. We had the filets there recently and they were yummy!!! The best salad I had inside DL was the cobb salad at Plaza Inn. As far as seafood - definitely Ralph Brennan's.

CoasterChickie
08-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Oh man...I am getting so hungry reading all of your great suggestions. I had forgotten all about the delicious cobb salads they have at the Plaza Inn, so thanks for reminding me Bruce Bergman and Sierra Nevada. I agree with all of you who said that the prime rib at the Blue Bayou was not very good. It didn't really look or taste like prime rib to me even though it was fairly expensive. I have eaten at Hook's Point and thought it was excellent, but want to try at least one new place for dinner on the last night when it's just me and my hubby. Thanks again for all your ideas!! :)

Photographer
08-29-2004, 07:20 AM
The Vineyard Room (DCA) had the best salmon I've ever had. Their menu is seasonal so they don't always serve it but I highly recommend it. It came on a bed or corn and wildrice. Normally I think the salmon has a glaze or a kick to it, they made mine plain due to my food allergies.

GrumpyUTboi
08-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Coaster, take Harbor BLVD and drive about 5 miles and you can get great food without the cost of an arm and a leg.

Javanod
08-29-2004, 07:36 AM
... and you can get great food without the cost of an arm and a leg.
Great. And what will I do with that extra arm and leg she's had me carrying around the park for so long?
:fez:

DisneylandForever
08-29-2004, 08:02 AM
Great. And what will I do with that extra arm and leg she's had me carrying around the park for so long?
:fez:

Javanod, you silly man!

As far as prime rib goes I guess I'm in the minority. I enjoy it at the Blue Bayou. The BB also serves crab cakes, which I've never had, but my cousin loves. I do agree about the dinner prices being a bit too high, so we always go for lunch.

Ariel's Grotta in DCA has decent food, but a great view if you sit downstairs and outside, especially at night.

blusilva
08-29-2004, 10:30 AM
JThe BB also serves crab cakes, which I've never had

I can vouch for the crab cakes; they're pretty good. Not the best I've ever had, but certainly not the worst.

cstephens
08-29-2004, 10:28 PM
I've had dinner at Ralph Brennan's once, and I was seriously underwhelmed. The service was ok and the food was just ok, which is not what I want for the prices they charge. I don't envision going again unless someone insists. I might consider trying the more expensive restaurant upstairs, but that would really only be out of curiosity. Funny, we were just talking tonight that the bananas foster dessert they serve that so many people seem to rave about. My husband and a friend, both of whom love bananas foster, thought it was ok there but not close to being among the best they'd had.

BayAreaDisneyFan
08-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Hook's Pointe at DLH has great steaks...Their NY strip is something I wake up thinking about! Last time I had the Surf 'n' Turf with a flatiron steak and grilled prawns - steak almost as good as the NY, prawns spicy and delicious (although my 4 year-old stole most of my prawns). Someone ( I think the host at the concierge lounge) told me that Hook's serves the exact same steaks as Granville's (super high-quality), but more affordable and more kid-friendly environment.

Enjoy!

rentayenta
08-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Granville's is good.

The only reason I would go back to The Rainforest Cafe is for the gift shop. The food and service are bleh!

sierranevada
08-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I will have to check out Hooke's next time especially if they sure they same quality steaks as Granville's but not as high priced!!! Thanks for the info BADF!