PDA

View Full Version : Why Disneyland is Awesome

Not Afraid
11-16-2001, 10:11 PM
I was at the Park last Thursday. The plan was to meet my husband there after work. I got there early and decided to get a mocha, sit on the bridge and people watch.

Several characters were greeting nearby - Snow White, the Evil Queen, Belle, Cinderella and others. I love to watch the characters interact with the kids and I was mesmerized. I saw Belle walk from one side of the castle to the wishing well, holding a young child who was wearing a surgical mask. I then saw Bell and Snow sit down on the ground.

After about 5 minutes I decided to see what was happening. I went through the castle and came out the entrance to the wishing well. The 3 princesses and the Evil Queen were sitting on the ground in a semi-circle taking turns telling the story of the 3 Little Bears - each character acting out a different part of the story. A group of children were sitting on the ground around them and the little girl with the mask was nestled between Snow and Belle. I noticed the woman next to me in tears. She turned to me and told me why she was crying.

The little girl with the mask was at DL though the Make a Wish Foundation. She has Cerebral Palsy and her wish was to visit DL. She saw Belle earlier in the day. When Belle heard her story she told the little girl to meet her at the bridge at 4:00.

All of the princesses got together to make this sick little girl's day at Disneyland something she'd never ever forget! A small group of other lucky children also got to share in this wonderful, magical experience.

I was so impressed and touched by what happened. The cast members who are the princesses and evil queen have such big hearts. After they finished the storytelling they stayed to sign more autographs for the other children who were there. They were awesome!

I hope hearing this story makes your day as it did mine.

Kudos to the CMs who made this happen!

MammaSilva
11-17-2001, 07:45 AM
And yet another story of Why Disneyland and the Disney Company will continue to get my money! I have been to a LOT Of different amusement parks and not ONE of them come close to the true magic that Disney provides their guests and the CM's that go that extra extra mile for those special guests like that little one, like my daughter and her friends .....no one does it better IMHO

Napsto
11-17-2001, 09:37 AM
thats a cool story

mad4mky
11-17-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
And yet another story of Why Disneyland and the Disney Company will continue to get my money! I have been to a LOT Of different amusement parks and not ONE of them come close to the true magic that Disney provides their guests and the CM's that go that extra extra mile for those special guests like that little one, like my daughter and her friends .....no one does it better IMHO

I agree. Other parks just do NOT go the extra mile. This is why us too have always spent our vacation dollars at a Disney park or Disney Cruise. People ask why we don't go other places...like Vegas or Hawaii....and its just that we get treated and feel "special" while at a Disney resort. Like mammasilva says...no one does it better.

This story is wonderful. It is an excellent example of what Disney does and can do. All this complaining about the parks can get me so discouraged...but when you hear a story like this...or get treated the way we get treated when we go with my disabled daughter, my faith in the DLR soars.:D

Wackokid
11-17-2001, 08:30 PM
well... you only get treated special in vegas if you gamble a lot

Ace
11-17-2001, 09:49 PM
excellent story....that's why Disneyland is awesome. If I was dying....I'd be in Anaheim right now. aww I feel warm inside now....

MammaSilva
11-17-2001, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
excellent story....that's why Disneyland is awesome. If I was dying....I'd be in Anaheim right now.

LOL Squinky... this past summer I got really really sick just a few weeks before our scheduled two weeks in Anaheim and the doc was really against my going on vacation even after those first few weeks of medication, so we compromised and I rented one of those ECV's from a medical supply company and didn't do the walking I normally would have with 9 days at the parks but I had the funniest 'nightmare' the first night we were at the Hotel.. I dreamed that I had died and that the rest of the family didn't want to give up their vacation so they had me cremated then took me on the matterhorn and sprinkled a bit of my ashes there, then on to Indy and sprinkled a few thre Thunder.... a few more ashes.. then to Splash and a few more ashes...stopped by HM and sprinkled a bit there... then they got on the train and sprinkled a few more around there... got off the train and hit space.. a few more there... till they had sprinkled me on all my favorite rides in the park.... and when they got home they told my husband about it and that they KNEW that is where I would want to be sprinkled ROFL

Nigel2
11-18-2001, 12:27 AM
Did the nightmare at anyponit have people sweeping you up? Then it truly would have been a realistic disney nightmare.:)

MammaSilva
11-18-2001, 09:20 AM
that was the funniest part of the dream, they made sure to sprinkle me where the attractions people wouldn't know if it was ME or the attraction so I wouldn't be "disturbed" it was quite the dream LOL

jslivinski
11-26-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Did the nightmare at anyponit have people sweeping you up? Then it truly would have been a realistic disney nightmare.:)

I read that story.

stinkerbell
11-26-2001, 01:40 PM
Great story, great now I'm tearing up..........:crying:
I love those kinds of stories. Someone else have one?

Ace
11-27-2001, 07:31 PM
I'd really like to write about why Disneyland is so great....but I'd rather not get carpal tunnel, and I need to save my energy for when I go in LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!!! but yeah. it really is that great. and Walt Disney was a genius.

stinkerbell
11-27-2001, 08:48 PM
40 hours to go...........I should do some laundry!

MonorailMan
11-28-2001, 06:28 AM
It true, all the little stories that make Disneyland so great, like on my last trip, I was running around Tom Sawyer island, I tripped and fell, I yelled 1 word "OWWWWWWWWWW!", so me and mom go down to first aid, we explain what happend, she not only gives me a big mickey baind-aid to cover the wound, but gave me 2 "Front of the Line" passes.

dshimel
11-28-2001, 09:39 AM
Nice story. Here is my NEW Disney Magic Story.

I arrived at the Grand CA, and was very impressed with the service. We pulled up, people opend my wife's door, got our bag out of the back seat, handed me a valet slip, and they were off with the car.

Upon check in, I learned it would be an extra $36 (on top of the $650 I was spending on the room for three nights) if I didn't get my car back from valet, drive it across the street, then walk back. Arg!

Having packages delivered to the room is great, but now you have to go wait in line at the bell desk to pick them up.

When I was in DCA, Hyperion was empty and the Eurika parade didn't run. Luminaria wasn't up, but in DL, Fantasmic was already down. The Fantasyland theater was empty, and the parks were closing very early 8:00 for DCA, on Fir and Sat.

I'm sorry if I'm taking away from your story, but I think those are less and less common, but mine are, and will continue to be, more common. Nickle and dime you anyway they can, then cut back the service and other things that make Disney magical.

Ghoulish Delight
11-28-2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by dshimel

When I was in DCA, Hyperion was empty and the Eurika parade didn't run. Luminaria wasn't up, but in DL, Fantasmic was already down. The Fantasyland theater was empty, and the parks were closing very early 8:00 for DCA, on Fir and Sat.

Well, sounds like you went in the fall-winter slow period. The summer jobbers are back at school, attendance is down. They are understaffed and use the lull in crowds to do refurb and upgrades, causing many rides and attractions to be closed. This has ALWAYS happened. It's nothing new, and it's the price you pay going in the off season.