PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Mountain Accident Report is out

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
08-27-2004, 03:02 PM
4:00 on a Friday - does this place know how to work the media cycle or what?

We'll post it as soon as we can.

AVP

Disneyphile
08-27-2004, 03:18 PM
<------waiting patiently. ;) :)

AVP
08-27-2004, 03:25 PM
<------waiting patiently. ;) :)Give us a minute - they listed names and telephone numbers, so we're redacting the report to protect identities.

AVP

Disneyphile
08-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Very cool! Thanks! :D

Disneyfreak
08-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Well where is the report? It is almost 5 now.

Tony
08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
I am linking to a copy of the report here.

We removed the first two pages which contained names, ages, and contact info for injured guests and witnesses. We also blocked out the last name of two injured guests found in the body of the report.

In a nutshell, this was a combination of human error and software failure. The cast member responsible failed to follow proper procedure. The ride control system failed to prevent the accident, as it should have.

The report can be found at this link:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/btmrr_accident/BTMRRReport3.pdf (http://www.mouseplanet.com/btmrr_accident/BTMRRReport3.pdf)

sediment
08-27-2004, 03:58 PM
So, when will it reopen?

Lani
08-27-2004, 04:00 PM
4:00 on a Friday - does this place know how to work the media cycle or what?For those who aren't familiar with how these things work, late afternoon on a Friday almost always guarantees that a story will get buried. I don't know why DOSH would do so, but maybe they had an agreement with Disney?

The White House (and companies) with bad news have often taken this step, so most reporters have gone home for the day... or by the time Monday rolls around, it's no longer a big story.

Disneyphile
08-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for posting this! :)

cstephens
08-27-2004, 04:09 PM
I've been watching the local ABC channel in Los Angeles with their newscasts, and about 20 minutes ago, they did a "breaking news" announcement that explained what the findings were. I assume it's the same thing as in the link Tony provided, though I haven't gone to read it myself. The newscaster also announced that the ride is expected to re-open tonight.

AVP
08-27-2004, 04:15 PM
So, when will it reopen?The DOSH offices conveniently closed for the weekend immediately after releasing the findings report. However, since it appears that all of the retraining was completed on 8/17, I think it's safe to assume the ride will reopen this weekend.

Edited to say - A Disneyland spokesperson says the ride will reopen within an hour. (By 6:30 pm Friday night)

AVP

SCUBAbe
08-27-2004, 04:24 PM
the news just said it could open as early as tonight..:):):)

I'll be there tonight and all weekend...Woo Hoo!!

Tigertail777
08-27-2004, 04:25 PM
interesting... ok first I do wonder.. is it normal to put someone on tower position after being on the job only 3 days? I had thought you had to work seniority up to tower?

Secondly sounds like they still have some computer glitches to check out, if it can allow the train to enter into this brake zone, I think they better be testing other break zones just in case.

Third... back to the training I was a little surprised that DOSH didnt require all other operators hired from this point on to have more training to prevent this kind of thing again. Correct me if I am wrong, but in the older days didnt they have an experienced person right beside the new cast member in training for a few weeks so they could be trained more effeciently and better? It seems the only logical thing to do, I know here in Oregon thats how they train new bus drivers; for at least one week, sometimes two they have someone with full experience ride with newbees to train them, and in this way can point out anything that arises that only experience teaches. I have to guess thats how things used to be run on Big Thunder (and other rides) considering how good of record it had in the past because without that extra training with someone of experience I would find it hard to beleive that no other new cast members would have made simular mistakes.

It seems to me that the biggest thing to fear here if there IS anything to fear, would be Disney's training procedures. I am still a little incredulous that someone on the job only 3 days appeared to have been running the tower without really any supervision. Am I wrong? Someone please read the article and tell me if I am misinterpretating.

sediment
08-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Good news about it opening.
Bad news that I'm not close enough to benefit right now.

I agree that the whole training procedure needs to be revisited. I don't think it's possible to idiot-proof this ride's mechanisms and automatic thingamaroo's, so it's back to the basics: idiot-proof the ride operator.

Fozzie
08-27-2004, 05:41 PM
It seems to me that the biggest thing to fear here if there IS anything to fear, would be Disney's training procedures. I am still a little incredulous that someone on the job only 3 days appeared to have been running the tower without really any supervision. Am I wrong? Someone please read the article and tell me if I am misinterpretating.

In my opinion, Disney needs to rethink their training procedures for ALL areas of the park. I went through the standard week-long "Disney University" before I began, but learned very little in terms of my actual job. It took me weeks to figure out where I was going and what I was supposed to do - usually taking advice from other CM's as supervisors were seldom at hand. :confused:

Lani
08-27-2004, 06:25 PM
...they have someone with full experience ride with newbees to train themJust a side comment; I don't know if that's how you normally spell "newbie," but I absolutely love your version. It gave me a little visual image of a brand new bee, busy learning how to operate the bus! :)

squuggy
08-27-2004, 08:08 PM
I am just buzzing with excitement about this. The outlook for my upcoming trip to DL was no rollercoasters: SM down until 2005, Matterhorn til December, and BTMRR indefinitely. Indefinitely no more. :D

Ghoulish Delight
08-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Just got a call from "in park operatives." Big Thunder is running as of tonight, 8/27

Bruce Bergman
08-27-2004, 10:25 PM
I agree that the whole training procedure needs to be revisited. I don't think it's possible to idiot-proof this ride's mechanisms and automatic thingamaroo's, so it's back to the basics: idiot-proof the ride operator.

Well, they can plug the software/logic glitch that allowed this accident to happen (and they think they have, or they wouldn't be allowed to reopen the ride) - but they also need to figure out why they hit the "Power Disconnect" E-Stop and the track brakes (that are installed between Brake Zone 4 and the Station) did not get the train stopped in time.

The single brakes they have in that area should have been plenty to stop a slow moving train. They might have to install stronger or more brakes, or turn up the system air pressure on the ones that are there. So that they can steal a Yosemite Sam line from WB: "When I say Whoa! I MEAN Whoa!" ;)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

sdfilmcritic
08-27-2004, 10:36 PM
I knew it! A part of the problem was contributed to software malfunction.

bassett1976
08-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Mrs. Bassett & I went to visit DL tonight. We walked past BTMRR and heard the screams of guest enjoying their ride. We also noticed some trains running with people while others were not taking on passengers. The train station was only using one side of the station. At the front, Cast Members looked to be holding the line up so that people could not get into line. I'm not sure if they were only allowing some people to get into line occasionally or if they had shut down the line for the night.

West Covina Dave
08-28-2004, 12:16 AM
We went by BTMRR about 9:20 PM (Friday evening) and saw that it was open so we got into line. They were only operating one side with 2 trains on it. The line was about 20 minutes. No changes to the ride that I noticed. When we got off, I did notice that they had closed the line, but were letting everybody that was in line go on.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Going to read the report so if I have more to say, that hasn't already been said, I will do that later.
But.... I will be on the ride when we go in November! SCREAMING and my HANDS UP!

RagtimePrince
08-28-2004, 03:58 PM
interesting... ok first I do wonder.. is it normal to put someone on tower position after being on the job only 3 days? I had thought you had to work seniority up to tower?I think it was his third day working at tower, not just his third day on the job. Honestly, if anyone thinks Disney doesn't train their people extremely well compared to other parks, you probably don't want to hear how people get trained other places. I work on a coaster, and I was at "tower" within 2 hours of starting work my first day. Just remember that if you visit a park with a name that starts with "Para" and ends in "merica."

I'd like to say to AVP and everyone else who got this posted so quickly and nicely, you're all awesome. :)

mjformenotyou
08-28-2004, 05:16 PM
. I work on a coaster, and I was at "tower" within 2 hours of starting work my first day. Just remember that if you visit a park with a name that starts with "Para" and ends in "merica."

Eeee, I knew there was a reason why myself in my adult life has decided to never go to this park again.. :geek: