PDA

View Full Version : First Christmas time trip booked - advice?

scaeagles
08-26-2004, 02:42 PM
We have too much crap. In talking with my wife, with the upcoming Christmas season, we decided we don't want more crap. So instead of presents, we're going to Disneyland!

Booked the GC for Dec 26th - 30th. Looking forward to it, as no one in the family has been toDL during the holidays.

I am a veteran of many a summer time and spring break trip, but is there anything I can't miss or need to be aware of when going during the Christmas season? Are crowds comparable to summertime?

mystycalchyk
08-26-2004, 03:58 PM
We will be there that same time. You will probably hear from some here that you are insane to go there during that particular week. I will not be one of those. We do the week between Christmas and till just after New Years every single year. And we love every mad second of it. Yes, it's very busy...but at least it's not sweltering hot :D Yes there are crowds, but at least its all festive and Christmasy and pretty :D The haunted Mansion Holiday is a hoot.....if you havent seen Tim Burtons Nightmare before Christmas yet, I suggest you watch it so you can get in the mood.
If you feel up to it swing one more day and hang out with us over New Years, it's a blast. I wouldnt miss it for the world :geek:
Perhaps I will see you there.
Have a wonderful time! :fez:

lisap
08-26-2004, 04:05 PM
It is busy, but you will have a great time. Just hit the parks at opening, ride ride ride until the afternoon, and then hang out looking at all the beautiful christmas things, seeing the parade, decorating a cookie at the firestation, listening to the carole singers, seeing the Christmas fireworks....sigh.

You will have a wonderful time. :)

dsny1mom
08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
The one thing that surprised us on our first Xmas trip to DLR, back in the early 90s, was just how cold it got at night. We live in the midwest so we are not light weights when it comes to cold temps. BUT even when the temps were in the 70's and it was sunny during the day, the night temps would plumit down to the 40s and mutiple layers and gloves were needed. Also I heard elnino (or whatever it's called) is heading back to So Cal and that could make for a colder and rainier winter. Keep checking the local temps and don't forget your mittens!

dsny1mom

SallySkellington
08-26-2004, 05:54 PM
I am a veteran of many a summer time and spring break trip, but is there anything I can't miss or need to be aware of when going during the Christmas season?

You need to be aware of Fastpass and Single Rider. And if you want to go on HMH, get there early for a Fastpass, because they run out fast.

DL4EVER
08-26-2004, 06:18 PM
We were there for that exact time frame last year. Let me tell you this: DCA is fine, crowds weren't too bad, but Disneyland itself is a ZOO. I don't think I am exaggerating in saying it will probably be the busiest you've seen it. I highly recommend Fastpassing and Single Riding what you can, or knocking out the major attractions first (We NEVER waited in a Standby line for either Indy or Splash last year).

Also, if DCA doesn't bug you too much, take that as your refuge, because more than likely, they will be closing Disneyland to outside public around 2:00 daily and Fastpasses for most rides will be long gone by then, for Disneyland at least. Last year, they had Fantasmic running during Christmas time, and if it is supposed to be like that this year, I would advise staying away from that entire half of the park, because leading up to Fantasmic and for quite a while afterwards, it is horrendously crowded in that area.

But don't let any of this get to you, it is a magical experience during Christmas and you will love how they deck out the parks. Have a great trip.

pisces
08-26-2004, 07:09 PM
" they will be closing Disneyland to outside public around 2:00 daily"--DLForever

This is interesting. So, 2 pm is the unofficial cut-off time for that week? What is outside public? Guests who aren't staying on property? Or, just anyone? In your experience, when they close the park at 2 pm, does it get re-opened later that evening? What are the exact opening and closing hours for that week?

I'm looking for any and all information about how to proceed during that week when the Park is closed, but I am a hotel guest, and have my hand stamped and wish to go back in.

DL4EVER
08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Well, what I meant was that around 2 each day, they seemed to hit maximum capacity and would wait for it to empty out. Yes you are admitted in the evening and there is nothing saying this WILL happen while you are there, but that happened a bit last year.

Although we never tested this, it says that people staying on property have priority over general public (General Admission), but we never found out if that happened. If anyone else would like to correct me, please do.

rentayenta
08-26-2004, 08:35 PM
We will be there too from Dec. 22-28. I love DL during the holidays. My reasoning is the same as yours-we have too much crap. Our trip is a surprise for the kids and it's killing me not to be able to tell them. They will find out the morning of the 21st which is also my middle DD's 6th birthday.

LOYL2DZNY
08-27-2004, 07:28 AM
as much as i LOVE disneyland, i will NEVER go back there at that time of year. we went for new years 2002-2003 and were there for 3 days...we left on new years day...and let me tell you, all my husband and i could do was argue because we were so frustrated w/the crowds. it was awful!!!! we've gone the first week of december and it was perfect! i'll never ever go the week between xmas and new years ever again!!!!!

SacTown Chronic
08-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Ask Jasmine if she's been naughty or nice.

LOYL2DZNY
08-27-2004, 07:33 AM
hey SallySkellington, i dig your sig!!! oingo rocks!!!!....."no one lives forever... hey!!!"

Susan L
08-27-2004, 02:20 PM
When we went during the holidays in 2001, Christmas Eve was our last night there. While the guys had enough during the day my daughter and I being typical females can never get enough. We went back after dinner and stayed until closing. Yes it was crowded but we had a great time. The longest wait in line was the HM 45 minutes. But it didn't bother us, it gave us a chance to really check out the outside of the Mansion and to have some good laughs with the people next to us in line. The worst part was trying to get through AdvL to NOS. We just held on to each other and made it through. There is always a way to get around the crowds, just to let them get you down and dive right in.

mystycalchyk
08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Problem is Christmas Eve is positively dead compared to the days following Christmas. It doesnt stop us from going every year, but just pointing that out :fez: