PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Equipment

08-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Just set up my exercise lair in the basement! I've got a dvd player and an elliptical down there now. Did my first 22 minutes this a.m. while I watched "Starsky and Hutch" (fun movie, btw).

A Poem by 3894/Helen
Let the rain fall.
Let the snow fly.
Now I don't have to go to the Y!

Your turn!

hersheythecat
08-26-2004, 08:10 AM
I just got back from the YMCA located in my work building, did 16 minutes on the bike and walked 3 laps. Had a headache so did not push it too much.

stan4d_steph
08-26-2004, 08:16 AM
I would love to have my own home gym and personal trainer. Alas, I live in a 1-BR apartment so that dream will have to wait. I use the gym at work or go for a walk outside.

I love the elliptical machines. Easier to get your heartrate up and easy on the knees. :)

mjformenotyou
08-26-2004, 09:05 AM
My apartment building has a small gym that I am yet to use, but when school starts, I'm going to before I get ready in the morning (hopefully it'll be deserted - I'm a bashful exerciser). They have a tv down there too. So much nicer than having to walk to a gym in the snow (or the yucky weather right now!).
I also am going to walk to school this year until the heavy snow falls, since my mom and I started walking everyday, this "unbelievably long" (thats what I thought last semester) walk is a piece of cake!
For now I'm just walking everywhere (the humidity is KILLING me!) and sticking with my amazing exercise dvd, "Gym in a Box". I love it. I owe Leisa Hart everything for my weight loss.

I also got my first compliment about my now 20 lb loss from an aquaintance yesterday. Whoooo.

Lani
08-26-2004, 09:14 AM
I have zero room for any exercise equipment at home. I go to the gym at work and run on the treadmill, though!

Sheila
08-26-2004, 10:29 AM
I have zero room for any exercise equipment at home. I go to the gym at work and run on the treadmill, though!

I wonder why.... ;) (just kidding)

I love exercise videos, especially ones from The Firm. Whenever I've stayed on their program, I lose inches and pounds like crazy. I'm getting ready to start up again.

I have a step, a collection of free weights and a sculpting stick. That and about 50 exercise videos. I love those things, plus it doesn't take up much space and I don't have to go to a gym.

Sheila

Alex S.
08-26-2004, 10:38 AM
I have zero room for any exercise equipment at home.
And yet that somehow hasn't stopped you from filling a corner of the living room with stuff.

I'm at the gym several times a week and have had a personal trainer for approaching three years. This has been one of the most expensive things I've ever done (this is an independent trainer, not one of those gym paid ones that spends 10-minutes a week with you to watch your progress) but it has been a good investment. I've found that nothing motivates me to get to the gym like paying someone a lot of non-refundable money.

mad4mky
08-26-2004, 11:45 AM
I also got my first compliment about my now 20 lb loss from an aquaintance yesterday. Whoooo.

Funny...when I complimented you...you just kinda brush it off. I guess it's not the same when it comes from your mom. :(

And, I miss our morning and evening walks. I loved our chats...and your company. :D I hope by Thanksgiving, my doctor will give me the go ahead to start real walks again...and we can pick up where we left off. (Last year, he didn't give the go ahead until March though... :( ).

By the way...I am very proud of you...and you are an inspiration for me to lose more than what I have already. :)

We have a treadmill in our family room. A very nice treadmill. My hubby keeps saying he is going to sell it, as it is a 'dust collector'..meaning no one is using it enough. I scream...'foul!'...as it is MY treadmill...and I know it will get more use once I can start 'walking' in earnest again.

AliciasMom
08-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Exercise? What's exercise? LOL J/k

I really need to get myself to the gym. I don't need to lose weight but I do know it's a healthy thing to do (and my 40 y.o self will be thanking my 22 y.o self 18 years from now)

Bill Catherall
08-26-2004, 11:54 AM
I want a home gym someday too. Right now I go to a local gym, that really isn't too far away. I like to use free weights (barbells, dumbbells) and my prefered cardio machine is also the eliptical. Although I switch to the recumbent bikes sometimes just to mix things up.

scaeagles
08-26-2004, 02:38 PM
My home office doubles as a home gym. I have an elliptical in there, and soon hope to be adding the "total gym" - that thing Chuck Norris advertises on infomercials.

I currently work out on my elliptical 12 times/week. Every weekday I get up at 4:00 and go 30 minutes, and then I do another 30 minutes at lunch time. I do mid mornings on the weekends. I am not addicted to exercise - I just have some problems with getting exceptionally tight and the elliptical loosens me up.

Ellipticals rock. I have a broken toe and can still use it because there is no impact.

sdfilmcritic
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
If I could afford one I was thinking about getting a TreadClimber and/or a Bowflex. These things look like they would really help me out.

SCUBAbe
01-30-2005, 02:42 PM
I had a home gym that included a huge weight machine, treadmill and bike. I gave it all to my parents, because it was such an eyesore in the living room. I joined a gym which I have quit. Why>,,,because it's so crowded there were never any open machines......si I go to my parents to work out now...LOL..I'm thinking about getting the firm 3 set...anyone use that?

Hakuna Makarla
01-30-2005, 03:01 PM
I got a lovely treadmill that sits in my living room. pretty thing, yet un touched! I will be getting on it soon!

TrekkieDad
01-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Unused home exercise equipment seems to be a common occurrence. I really don't have room for my three bicycles when my sons are home, but at least two of the bikes get ridden regularly.

kadiehl
01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
And yet that somehow hasn't stopped you from filling a corner of the living room with stuff.

I'm at the gym several times a week and have had a personal trainer for approaching three years. This has been one of the most expensive things I've ever done (this is an independent trainer, not one of those gym paid ones that spends 10-minutes a week with you to watch your progress) but it has been a good investment. I've found that nothing motivates me to get to the gym like paying someone a lot of non-refundable money.

I have always said that if I could pay someone to make me exercise and pay someone to cook for me...I would be a size 6 like all those cute actresses on TV :)- Well I like my occasional ice cream and fast food, so we will say a size 8 ;)

MrsG
02-09-2005, 07:41 PM
We have bought many pieces of home exercise equipment only to donate them to charity shops a year later. I will not right hand up in swear position waste my money on another piece of exercise equipment. Hubby and I both belong to a gym. He goes every day and runs - such dedication! I go 3-4 times a week. Hate the cardio machines (SO boring) but do them any way - treadmill, stair climber. Then I get down to the real work on the weight machines. I don't need to lose weight but I'd like to get some tone. Plus muscle work is essential to avoid osteoporosis (sp?).

Sheila
02-09-2005, 07:48 PM
I had a home gym that included a huge weight machine, treadmill and bike. I gave it all to my parents, because it was such an eyesore in the living room. I joined a gym which I have quit. Why>,,,because it's so crowded there were never any open machines......si I go to my parents to work out now...LOL..I'm thinking about getting the firm 3 set...anyone use that?

You'll love the Firm! I have almost every tape they've put out since they started in the late 1980s.

I'm not sure which Firm set you're buying (probably the one with the declining step, right?), but you'll see great results. They're not kidding when they say you'll see results within 10 workouts.

Just start out slow and easy.....

Sheila

Emma
02-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Lani's home must be full of stitch stuff. ;)

I've found that nothing motivates me to get to the gym like paying someone a lot of non-refundable money.

LOL! Aint that the truth!