PDA

View Full Version : Club 33 admittance on e-Bay

steamboatStu
08-26-2004, 05:06 AM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

People please be advised that unless an auction is accompanied by a SIGNED letter from Club 33 management, it is not authorized by the club. Numerous auctions by a particular e-Bay ID have gotten the attention of members and club management and will be shut down. Trust me, we are getting close. Please don't bid on these auctions - there's a good chance you will not get what you are paying for. Auction proceeds are to go to an AUTHORIZED charity - members must submit their charity to Disney and receive their approval. A "non-profit" is a corporation, not a charity. We have the name of this "non-profit", its location and the names of both board members. BEWARE!!!

sdfilmcritic
08-26-2004, 05:39 AM
Thank you for the heads up. As if I would be able to afford such an auction, it's still good to know to keep an eye open for such a thing.

Dlandmom
08-26-2004, 07:35 AM
steamboatStu! We haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you're doing well! Sorry your post had to be such a serious one...thanks for the heads up!

Disneynut1955
08-26-2004, 07:50 AM
I read a post today by “SteamboatStu” and was concerned and decided to do a little investigating of my own regarding the claims of both parties. I was surprised to learn that about 90% of what was posted here this morning is INCORRECT, and at the very least, is incredibly misleading.

First, I emailed the seller on Ebay. He promptly wrote back and provided the name of the non-profit ({redacted}). Despite SteamboatStu’s clear admonition that this group is not a charity, the IRS website clearly lists it as a charity stating “a public charity with a 50% deductibility limitation”. I also learned that SteamboatStu had his own Club 33 auction on Ebay (albeit with a letter from the club) for a group called “{redacted}”.

Mousepad readers should know that SteamboatStu’s so called “charity” ({redacted}) is NOT recognized by the IRS as a sanctioned entity. A check of the IRS website

http://www.irs.gov/charities/page/0,,id=15053,00.html

showed {redacted} classification as “organizations that have formally claimed public charity status but that status has not yet been determined to be correct by the Internal Revenue Service.” The end result is that the true charity in question, {redacted}, went through the rigorous process of gaining non-profit and charitable recognition and is subject to governmental control and regulation whereas SteamboatStu’s organization is accountable to nobody.

Let me be the first to say, {redacted} may be doing great works for the public even though they have not sought legal or formal recognition. I have no idea what they do, nor does it appear that SteamboatStu has any clue what {redacted} does. What bothers me is that when I check out SteamboatStu [deleted] also known on Ebay as “{redacted}”. I see that he SELLS all kinds of Club 33 items. Last I checked, club management prohibited the sale of club merchandise by its members.

So the reality is that we have a person who has a little “Ebay Envy” and is mad because one seller is more successful than the other! I find it funny how he feels so strongly about this other Ebay member selling dinner auctions that SteamboatStu has NEVER even contacted that Ebay seller! I contacted the seller today, expressed concern over his auctions and the seller with no argument, no fuss, agreed to cancel his auction until the details could be worked out with everyone’s blessing.

As SteamboatStu so graciously provided a Public Service Announcement to the group, let me provide one as well. Should {redacted} be able to prove that they lost revenue from SteamboatStu’s commentary, they would have an excellent cause of action in which to seek redress through the court system for his false and misleading post. Before calling each other out in public forums and wasting my time with your slanted version of events, check your facts and get the story straight.

I read mousepad for my love of Disneyland and the people who make the magic happen. I do however grow tired of people who use this as a forum for bogus arguments. I am not taking the side of either party, I would prefer they contact one another directly to resolve such disputes and it seems neither party did so prior to publicly bashing one another! We are all adults, lets act like it!

SJSman
08-26-2004, 07:57 AM
that was AWESOME! More power to you. DisneyNut

missm
08-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Wow disneynut, if you'e not a lawyer you should think about a new career in law. Thanks for the info.

Lani
08-26-2004, 09:28 AM
The original poster in this thread posted a rather generic warning for MousePad members to use caution when bidding on eBay auctions for dinners at Club 33. While we could have only assumed that this public service announcement was prompted by something specific, the OP chose not to mention any names, provide links to auctions, or go into any details.

Another poster in the thread then chose to investigate whatever situation at eBay seemed to warrant the PSA, and then posted his "findings" here.

I have taken the unusual step of redacting all identifiable names except for Steamboat Stu's, as I assume Stu will be able to defend himself here if he needs to. The poster, however, has made some allegations and strong inferences here. It is not, however, easy for the organizations to easily defend themselves in such small and unrelated corners of the universe as this thread. There is no way for us to know, for example, if the poster is or isn't (or in some way associated with) the auction seller that prompted Stu to make his original post. In particular, I was quite concerned about the identification of another eBay identity that was linked to the original poster, since if they are not the same person, the post could be cause for action on its own.

Thank you.

Disneynut1955
08-26-2004, 09:43 AM
As Lani has no way of knowing, I will clearly state that I have NO connection with the person on Ebay posting the Club 33 auctions. I am a frequent visitor to both Disneyland and Club 33 and find that any person who attacks a non-profit by providing false information is doing a great disservice to that group.

It is scary that someone can not provide an opposing viewpoint without great censorship on this board. I did not state that the Ebay sellers auctions were indeed valid, merely that the of two charities in question, one is a charity recognized by law with the IRS and one is NOT. To prompt independent confirmation, I posted a link to the IRS website to let EVERYONE find out the facts for themselves, something that Mouseplanet does not permit!

The truth is that Lani (the moderator who removed the names)interviewed "SteamboatStu" some time ago regarding Club 33 and his membership of such club. Readers here may make their own determination of where her loyalties truly are.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm011127.htm

stan4d_steph
08-26-2004, 09:46 AM
SteamboatStu's post was addressing the point of whether or not the seller had permission from Club 33 regarding the auction. It's not whether the charity is recognized by the IRS, but whether it is authorized by Disney. I didn't see that addressed in your post, disneynut1955.

Lani
08-26-2004, 10:28 AM
The truth is that Lani (the moderator who removed the names)interviewed "SteamboatStu" some time ago regarding Club 33 and his membership of such club. Readers here may make their own determination of where her loyalties truly are.My loyalties lie with MousePlanet, and with my responsibilities as moderator. SteamboatStu was an interview subject for a feature article, not "a friend," as you imply.

Had the roles been reversed I would have redacted the names as well.

Disneynut1955
08-26-2004, 10:37 AM
SteamboatStu's post was addressing the point of whether or not the seller had permission from Club 33 regarding the auction. It's not whether the charity is recognized by the IRS, but whether it is authorized by Disney. I didn't see that addressed in your post, disneynut1955.

Thank you for explaining to me what SteamboatStu's post was about. I am afraid that even with my Juris Doctor and my PHD I am unable to read and comprehend a post.

Despite you assertions to the contrary, are not entirely correct! SteamboatStu's post clearly states " A "non-profit" is a corporation, not a charity. We have the name of this "non-profit", its location and the names of both board members. BEWARE!!!"

Under Internal Revenue Service Code 501(c)(3) a "non-profit" is a "charity". I elected to point out that the group he specifically states in not a charity, is in fact a legal charity and the group his auction lists is NOT.

I am not the seller on Ebay and was concerned by Steamboats post that the seller was indeed selling dinners without permission. You claim I did not address this issue, but in fact, I did and did so in a clear manner. You will note the following that was posted earlier "I contacted the seller today, expressed concern over his auctions and the seller with no argument, no fuss, agreed to cancel his auction until the details could be worked out with everyone’s blessing"

My argument is not that SteamboatStu was challenging if the seller had permission. My argument is that he was 100% incorrect about the group in question (something you as his supporters refuse to admit) and that communication directly with the party may have resolved his argument (another item you do not seem to grasp).

We certainly all have a right to believe, or not, in something for sale on Ebay. Good consumers research the facts and decide if it is a valid purchase. I take issue with commentary like "We have the name of this "non-profit", its location and the names of both board members. BEWARE!!!". If you have their information, call them and deal with your issue. The fact that anyone can find the charity's name and phone speaks to the legitimacy of the group, not the other way around.

SteamboatStu is obviously a college educated individual who can argue his own battles, I do not believe that he needs you, the "Mousepad Gestapo" fighting them for him.

Alex S.
08-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Well, it is good to have someone calling me a Nazi again.

My first concern was the privacy of our members and them having the choice to control use of their real names on MousePad, regardless of how easy it is to learn on your own.

My second concern is for the possible MousePlanet becoming involved when people start talking lawsuits. Until I know otherwise, I don't have a problem with the moderating staff here taking a cautious approach.

As with so many things this appears, to me, like people getting riled over something that isn't all that important.

We're discussing the issue, and if it is felt that we overreacted unreasonably then we'll rectify it. But until then, this thread is closed.