PDA

View Full Version : Can You remember?

Pages : [1] 2

GeminiAngel
08-25-2004, 07:56 PM
What was your first real attraction/ride experience at DL?

We arrived on a early Thursday morning in June of 1985. After driving all night from Las Vegas, with my friend and her parents. We were just freshly 16 years old. I was Totally awestruck as we waited in line to purchase our tickets ( I believe they were only 17.50 then!!). My friend Julie a veteran to DL, took me on the DLR to New Orleans Square. We headed straight for POTC. I still try to make it my first attraction once in awhile when we visit. ;)

SCUBAbe
08-25-2004, 08:31 PM
no, I remember being really excited to go to DL, but once we got there having a day of nervous anxiety...LOL...I'm totally over that now...:). I have been told that I was taken in the HM when I was 9 months old. I didn't freak out, but I was pouting BIG time. Everyone passing us was saying , "oh, look at that poor baby"...LOL

SallySkellington
08-25-2004, 08:40 PM
My first trip to Disneyland was when I was 1, so I don't remember my first ride.

rentayenta
08-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I have been going since I was a baby (or so my parents say).

My first recollections are of when I was about 4 or so. My babysitter worked at The Silohuette(sp?) shop on Main Street and used to take me all summer long. My dad used to take me a lot too.

My favorite memories are riding the subs with my dad over and over again. He was in navy when he was younger and I think he was reliving his youth. We used to have soooo much fun.

mjformenotyou
08-25-2004, 09:15 PM
I dont actually know when the first time I went to Disneyland was, but I'm sure it was before the story below. But that's my earliest memory I can remember of Disneyland.

I posted this same story here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=434314&postcount=17), but my earliest memory of an attraction at Disneyland was from when I was about 3 or 4, and my cousin and I were sitting next to each other in Captain Eo, and Anjelica Houston scared us so we both put our blankets over our heads throughout the scenes with her.

This may be from the same trip, but I remember moreso rides at Camp Snoopy at KBF - the pushmepullyou, and other little kid rides, with my cousins again.

biolabetty
08-25-2004, 10:48 PM
All right, I'm showing my age here. My first memory of Disneyland was as a little girl visiting the Indian village. I recall joining in one of the circle dances, however, no one had explained to me that native Americans are really not at all like they have been depicted in movies throughout the years. I was terrified of them the whole time, I wish someone had told me that life was different than movies, I would have been able to enjoy my dance rather than remembering how scared I was.

SarahShep
08-25-2004, 11:56 PM
I've been going to DL since I was really, really little, so I can't remember my first time. But some big impressions left on me include:

My first ride on Star Tours. I was so little that the "big" drop into that white, mechanical thing (not a huge fan of Star Wars, sorry! Don't know what it's called!), slid me full out of my seat and scared the crap outta me! I hated that ride!

Pig races, the giant ferris wheel, and Mickey Moo at the Disneyland State fair!

The Mickey wreaths around the street lights on Main Street

The moving dioramas in the windows of shops on Main Street. (I know there are still some, but it seems like there were SOOO many more when I was a kid!)

I remember watching the submarines, but not actually being in them, although my mom tells me that I did go on them.

People Movers!!! And Captain EO! I was SOOO scared of it, but I loved it anyway. And the 3-D thing was too cool, but I always had to take my glasses off cuz it was scary!

Closing my eyes all the way through HM until the Ballroom scene (when my aunt would tell me to open them) and then closing them all the way until the end, and then running out really fast past creepy little Leota. To this day, I still can't keep my eyes open through the whole thing, although I'll never admit this to my family!

Princess Booker
08-26-2004, 06:39 AM
The Disneyland Railroad. I was 8 and there with my Mom, Uncle and Aunt, and my then bully of cousin. My Aunt was one of those people that didn't like to walk, although there was nothing medically stopping her, so we had to take the train between lands. We also had to leave by 5pm after arriving at 11am since she was tired. In the four days we were there we must have been on and off that train at least 30 times. We didn't get to do the whole park that trip even though we were there for four days. Now that it's more than 20 years later, I can finally ride the train again and enjoy it, but only every few trips and once around the park.

smd4
08-26-2004, 07:15 AM
My friend Julie a veteran to DL, took me on the DLR to New Orleans Square. We headed straight for POTC. I still try to make it my first attraction once in awhile when we visit. So, you're first attraction was the Disneyland Railroad?

GeminiAngel
08-26-2004, 08:07 AM
So, you're first attraction was the Disneyland Railroad?

Yep!!! and the cool thing is my DD is 3, and its her favorite!!! she plays DLR at home. She lines the chairs up in the living room and we all have to sit and go choo-choo!!! All Aboard!! and I'll give her some of the speil in the best voice dupe I can. :D I still try to make a trip around when we first get there. But, sometimes we get distracted upon arrival. Especially if we are there for the rope drop.

napabeth
08-26-2004, 08:27 AM
My first trip I was 2 years old. The only ride I remember from the park was POTC - I remember going down the waterfalls screaming and crying and it just getting worse from there. I HATED IT. Was never so scared in my life. Cried the whole way through. I remember being soooooo scared of the pirates, well they're REAL people, right??? Funny, now it's one of my favorites.

And also remember watching the dancing water show from our room in the Disneyland Hotel.

sami869
08-26-2004, 08:36 AM
This definitly wasn't my first ride and I'm pretty sure it's not even from my first trip but it is my earliest memory:
When I was 5 or so we rode the monorail back to our the Disney Hotel at night and we got to sit in the very front. For some reason I just thought that was the coolest thing in the entire world. I felt like we must have been pretty special to get to sit up there and the veiw was amazing.

AliciasMom
08-26-2004, 09:01 AM
I don't remember my first trip but my parents sure do. I didn't want to leave FantasyLand and the castle. They took me on the jungle cruise and I wouldn't stop crying so we had to leave early. I was around 3 years old.

MrsPooh
08-26-2004, 10:24 AM
I went to DL my first time in 1974 when I was 7. I don't remember my first ride but I do have strong memories of that trip:

Like when we got off the Matterhorn a kid in our group promptly threw up in a trash can! :eek:

I loved POTC, JC and HM, except being creeped out by Madam Leota and Little Leota....they can't be real, and yet......

And when they tell you that you have to find your own way out.......

And the shaking guy with his skinny shaking dog.........

I took my one and only sub ride then, and I was claustrophobic. Even though the ride was cool all I could think about was getting out of that sub! Because of my claustorphobia, Mr. Pooh never got to ride it. Now maybe he will get the chance. And I will have to suck it up because I too want to see this new ride if/when it happens!

::::::::deep breaths:::::: I can do this!

MrsPooh
08-26-2004, 10:30 AM
We took little piglet his first time when he was 8 months old, he doesn't remember any of that trip. The second time was when he was 4, and Mr. Pooh got the bright idea to take him on Space Mountain first thing out of the gate. I was one car behind so I had no idea what was going on up front with them, but as soon as they got off Piglet when screaming off the ride and out of the building. The rest of the trip he wouldn't trust any more of the rides.

He's 9 now, and although he has ridden every ride in the park since then he still refuses to ride Space Mountain.

I am sure this will be his first memory of DL......... :crying:

DisneylandForever
08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
My mom (the OG Disneyland freak) took me there every year I was alive, until I was old enough to start taking myself. I obviously don't remember my first visit, but one of the earliest memories I have is of a trip in which I marveled at the AA's in the Tiki Room, Lincoln, HM, and POTC, 'argued' with my parents because I didn't wanna take a nap at the hotel, and got lost on Tom Sawyer's Island! I cried so much that when a CM found me the only thing that shut me up was a purple slushee! Until I dropped it, of course. :crying:

I also have strange memories of the Rainbow Caverns mine ride, for some reason. Oh, and that tacky 3D movie, Magic Journeys. And when the Tron tunnel in the PeopleMover was the Race Car tunnel.

mystycalchyk
08-26-2004, 12:27 PM
My first trip to Disneyland was December 6, 1997, after eating a turkey dinner in the Plaza Pavillion we headed over to toon town I rode Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin while my boyfriend waited. Afterwards we went directly to Mickeys house where, after our pic was snapped, Mickey revealed my engagement ring (which was hidden 'neath his Scorcers hat) and my now hubby asked me to marry him :D

No I dont remember a thing... ;)

DisneylandForever
08-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Afterwards we went directly to Mickeys house where, after our pic was snapped, Mickey revealed my engagement ring (which was hidden 'neath his Scorcers hat) and my now hubby asked me to marry him :D

No I dont remember a thing... ;)

Your boyfriend solicited Mickey to help him propose to you? That is too cool.

Tell the dude that some guy called Forever on some Disney message board said "right on!"

Uncle Remus
08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
All that I can remember about my first time to Disneyland was that my family drove there and I had to take a nap before we went to Disneyland and I didn't want to! :)

MrsPooh
08-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Tell the dude that some guy called Forever on some Disney message board said "right on!"

Mrs. Pooh second's that! :D

CarlieB
08-26-2004, 04:27 PM
I was 23 and my first ride was POTC:)

Since then,whenever I go to DL I like to ride Pirates first on my first day in the park.

sleepyjeff
08-26-2004, 04:37 PM
1979.....................Monorail than the Submarine Voyage. Spent nearly that whole first day in Tomorrowland.....now :crying:

Susan L
08-26-2004, 04:43 PM
I've been going to DL since I was 1 year old. The earliest memory of being at DL was when I was 5, so that would be 1962, oops just showed my age. Anyways I remember a lot about that day, I can remember going on Dumbo with my Uncle and Mr. Toad with my older brother. But the one that that really stands out is the Rocket Ship ride to the moon. I actually thought we were going to the moon, I started to panic and cried the entire time. My dad had to carry me out I was so upset. I never went on the Rocket Ship ever again. I kind of regret that because I know if I had been older I would have loved it.

GeminiAngel
08-26-2004, 05:26 PM
I've been going to DL since I was 1 year old. The earliest memory of being at DL was when I was 5, so that would be 1962, oops just showed my age. Anyways I remember a lot about that day, I can remember going on Dumbo with my Uncle and Mr. Toad with my older brother. But the one that that really stands out is the Rocket Ship ride to the moon. I actually thought we were going to the moon, I started to panic and cried the entire time. My dad had to carry me out I was so upset. I never went on the Rocket Ship ever again. I kind of regret that because I know if I had been older I would have loved it.

What a cute story!!! LOL!!!

Mermaid
08-26-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't know if this was my first ride, but the first I remember. I was 4 years old and my parents wanted to take me on the Storybook Canal Boats. I was terrified and cried and cried. We stood there for 10 minutes watching Monstro so I would be convinced that he did not close his mouth (he blinked his eye so I thought he was real). Once I was convinced, we went on and I got to sit up front. That is the only ride I was ever afraid to go on at DL!!! :D